HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:25 AM

My brother recently bought a home in the Detroit area, and paid way over asking. Must be all those rich Californians flocking to the Rust Belt...

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:32 AM

Just found this interesting Census data on median housing prices by state from 1940 to 2000 by decade:

https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...values-adj.txt

Not sure if Census would have 2010 and 2020 data. Interestingly, the median housing in Alabama and Kentucky was more than Texas in 2000 according to this data. I doubt that is the case now.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:54 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
My brother recently bought a home in the Detroit area, and paid way over asking. Must be all those rich Californians flocking to the Rust Belt...

according to Rocket Homes even Buffalo--Erie County (the bulk (85% pop) of the 2 county Metro) 71% of homes sold over asking.

Real Estate Market hot basically everywhere in North America right now.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I could probably do El Paso, which is obviously totally different. Still cheap border living, but military and university presence, cools down at night, pretty, and a bit diverse.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2942528330

Surprisingly affordable! Wow.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post

according to Rocket Homes even Buffalo--Erie County (the bulk (85% pop) of the 2 county Metro) 71% of homes sold over asking.

Real Estate Market hot basically everywhere in North America right now.
Damn California again!

But really,
There's a gazillion tik tok videos of the entire country talking about rising rent, no matter what the city is.

Also that 60 minute episode blamed corporations, nothing about California or NYC or Seattle or whatever.

Last edited by LA21st; May 6, 2022 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 1:01 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Damn California again!
Now the other states get to find out what it's like to make money off their homes...
Instead of buying their house for 150k, then selling it 10 years later for.....150k.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
7th

This is happening all over the country.
It has nothing to do with California or NYC.

It's happening in Chicago. I guess all the west coast people are the problem too. I saw a tik tok of some small city in the south and people in the comments said its the Californians raising the rents..lmao.
It's gotten to the point of absurdity.

And again, its not the wealthy leaving. How many articles do you need?
I don't think Chicago's or Detroit's housing prices have increased nearly as much as Austin's over the last 5 years.

I'm not saying it's purely the wealthy or that the entire West Coast = California or the entire East Coast = NYC. Austin has strong demographics and we can't build enough to meet up. However, there has been an influx of wealth here and it has pushed up housing prices much higher than it's Texas peers.

Yeesh.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:30 AM

Chicago, like most of the country, is on a recent up tick. It hasn't climbed for 5 years yet.

Riverside county homes are now as much as Austin.
Was there alot of wealth going there as well?
I don't think so.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
I don't think Chicago's or Detroit's housing prices have increased nearly as much as Austin's over the last 5 years.

I'm not saying it's purely the wealthy or that the entire West Coast = California or the entire East Coast = NYC. Austin has strong demographics and we can't build enough to meet up. However, there has been an influx of wealth here and it has pushed up housing prices much higher than it's Texas peers.

Yeesh.

I saw a article that showed 8 percent of Austin residents are from California.
The majority of Austin residents are from other parts of Texas.
It sounds like Texsns are more of the problem.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
That depends who’s moving there. Just because the new arrivals come from blue states doesn’t make them Democratic voters. They could just as well be right-leaning people who want to move from California to Texas partly for that reason.
Yep. Texas is a Mecca for conservative transplants to a point that native Texans are more Democratic than the people that move here. My only hope is that they will snap out of it when they find out Texas politicians are a different breed of conservatism. It's not the Libertarianism you will find in say Orange County or Arizona.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
It's not California, but it's definitely getting far more crowded and expensive here. I rented a nice garden apartment for $650 in 2010 in Montrose Houston. Those were the days.

People bringing their West/East Coast wealth to central Texas is just supercharging the housing market.
When I was working I needed a car in San Francisco to drive to work across the Bay. I rarely drove it otherwise because finding parking in the city was near impossible and distances are short making cab (and now Uber) rides fairly inexpensive.

After I retired, I started looking around for a second home well away from the city and with better winter weather (either real snow as in the mountains, or warm dry weather as in the desert). I discovered that in lower tax Arizona I could buy a place using a mortgage and the mortgage payment on a nice small desert home with mountain views and some character was lower than what I was paying for a garage parking spot in my SF condo. So I bought the home, took the car down there and left it in my garage for a net cash flow gain (not counting modest real estate taxes, insurance and maintenance).

Since then, I've paid off the mortgage and the house has close to tripled in value. Arizona isn't Texas, but the idea is similar.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 3:25 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Yep. Texas is a Mecca for conservative transplants to a point that native Texans are more Democratic than the people that move here. My only hope is that they will snap out of it when they find out Texas politicians are a different breed of conservatism. It's not the Libertarianism you will find in say Orange County or Arizona.
This is very CE (*looks at Steely Dan) but Californian "conservatives" will blue things up, because they like the environment, recycling, minorities, and other things.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:00 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Born in Sullivan but John Kirby and his Augustus Allen had moved to, and were businessmen from, New York City before moving to Mexico and then becoming Texians.

He started advertising their new city, Houston, to NYC soon after Texas won their Independence hoping to gain from the National popularity of Sam Houston.

William Marsh Rice was from Massachusetts but somehow ended up murdered in New York City. I don't know the full story but somehow the University he created, Rice University, owned Yankee Stadium for a little while so there is another NYC link plus we all know the NY Yankees are a horrible baseball team that has yet to beat the Houston Astros in the postseason...ha.
If Houston were really founded by NYCers, it would be pronounced differently.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:01 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
This is very CE (*looks at Steely Dan) but Californian "conservatives" will blue things up, because they like the environment, recycling, minorities, and other things.
holy cow, conservatives that actually believe in "conservation"
who knew!?

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:09 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
holy cow, conservatives that actually believe in "conservation"
who knew!?
Hell hath no fury like a conservative who can't get ethnic food.
^California exclusive. No Texan or Alabamianian(?) will complain about the lack of tacos or Indian food.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Hell hath no fury like a conservative who can't get ethnic food.
^California exclusive. No Texan or Alabamianian(?) will complain about the lack of tacos or Indian food.
Even conservatives who grew up in California love Mexican food--and no, that Tex-Mess stuff doesn't count!

Just for shits and giggles, I spent some time fantasy house-hunting in Houston on Zillow. People who think Houston is expensive--even in nicer areas--are spoiled and insular. I don't think there's another city of its caliber that has such large and attractive houses for such a low price. Houses that go for about $350K there would, for the same size and quality, easily cost three or four times as much in the Bay Area and LA.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 5:24 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Even conservatives who grew up in California love Mexican food--and no, that Tex-Mess stuff doesn't count!

Just for shits and giggles, I spent some time fantasy house-hunting in Houston on Zillow. People who think Houston is expensive--even in nicer areas--are spoiled and insular. I don't think there's another city of its caliber that has such large and attractive houses for such a low price. Houses that go for about $350K there would, for the same size and quality, easily cost three or four times as much in the Bay Area and LA.
Seriously? That's insane. That's what we call a down payment here.

I guess that explains all the backlash. All the Californians moving in are pricing out native Texans buying up their houses with straight cash that they were trying to scrape by saving for a down payment here.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that a lot of cheaper metros have a larger share of really undesirable geographies relative to more expensive metros. This accounts for much of the price difference.

So yeah, somewhere like Seattle is quite expensive, but there's almost nowhere that's a no-go zone. Somewhere like Houston is cheaper but half the metro is an extremely undesirable zone of floodplains, pollution and slummy shotgun-style homes.

I see this in Detroit all the time, where outsiders are like "Wow, there are $5,000 homes, Detroit is the steal of the century!". But those are former crackhouses in near-wastelands that need 100k in work for legal occupancy, and probably aren't worth 100k after the work is done (hence the abandonment; the market is working as expected).

Yeah, Detroit is relatively affordable, but desirable areas, with good schools aren't that cheap. My brother recently bought in a school district where SFHs basically start at 700k. And property taxes are very high. Not particularly affordable, unless you're coming from Coastal CA (and there are very few Californians in the Rust Belt).

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
People who think Houston is expensive--even in nicer areas--are spoiled and insular. I don't think there's another city of its caliber that has such large and attractive houses for such a low price.
Chicago? Philly?

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:00 PM

I think Chicago and Philly have comparable or lower prices than Houston.

But again, you have to look at what's broadly desirable. Does it matter if some abandoned crackhouse is dirt-cheap? I don't think Philly's Main Line, or Chicago's North Shore, are cheap by any measure, especially taking into account property taxes.

And you have to look at returns, or you might as well rent. Chicago has the worst returns of any major U.S. metro per Case-Schiller. I bet you Philly has lower than average returns too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions