HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 10:57 PM

RoseMary DeCamp was with 20 Mule Team Borax

I remember that it was the wholesome R. De Camp being the host of this series on telly and as spokesperson for the laundry soap commercials.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
The Salton Sea gets no respect, I tell ya.
As you know I'm sure, the Salton Sea was an artificial creation of a breach on a dike along the flooding Colorado River about 1905(?). But I agree, the SS gets no respect. It should be a destination resort again like it was in the 1950s. Now it is just a smelly sump filled with ag runoff and is too salty for fish. Maybe they should drill a pipe to the Pacific or Gulf of CA (if Mexico agrees) and pump in fresh sea water. Near the sea, on the east side, is a huge informal RV campground called "Slab City" where mostly retired people camp for free. Kind of like a low rent "Burning Man" festival I'm told. It probably empties out during the hot summer. Anybody visited the place and have any stories?

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
I remember that it was the wholesome R. De Camp being the host of this series on telly and as spokesperson for the laundry soap commercials.
I never watched that show, dang. Used to watch Bonanza a lot (everybody liked "Hoss" best & Hop Sing was always mad at him) and Wagon Train sometimes. Wagon Train never got to where they were going, Oregon I guess. They were forever out on the desert and plains training. But the real can't miss show back then was "The Twilight Zone". Rod Serling always had a lit cigarette. On one of the episodes set in the future they said L.A. was the largest (most populous) city in the world. Didn't quite get there. The 1950s/60s growth rates really slowed down.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 2:40 AM

Victor Sen Yung played Hop Sing. I have his cookbook. Sen Yung was No. 2 son in 25 Charlie Chan movies, had a degree in economics and did graduate work at USC and UCLA, and was a Captain in Military Intelligence in WWII.

And his cookbook taught me to scrub rice before you cook it.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
As you know I'm sure, the Salton Sea was an artificial creation of a breach on a dike along the flooding Colorado River about 1905(?).
That's true for the current incarnation of the Salton Sea, there have been lakes there many times throughout history like many of the other dry lakes in the western deserts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
But I agree, the SS gets no respect. It should be a destination resort again like it was in the 1950s. Now it is just a smelly sump filled with ag runoff and is too salty for fish. Maybe they should drill a pipe to the Pacific or Gulf of CA (if Mexico agrees) and pump in fresh sea water. Near the sea, on the east side, is a huge informal RV campground called "Slab City" where mostly retired people camp for free. Kind of like a low rent "Burning Man" festival I'm told. It probably empties out during the hot summer. Anybody visited the place and have any stories?

The Slab City Welcome Kiosk.

This is incorrect, if you ended up at Slab City, you're LOST!

I visited the Salton Sea(Bombay Beach, Salvation Mountain and Slab City) in early February.

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; May 11, 2020 at 5:06 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 5:30 AM
BANNED

[

Agreed but one could go lower...try a sad sidewalk tent in downtown Los Angeles or San Francisco....

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 18, 2020 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 1:44 PM

Camels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I believe the three camel statues in this snapshot might be the faux-camels in the eBay photograph I posted a couple of days ago.

.....A 'mystery' location. Los Angeles, California 1920s

..........................................................................................................................Does this area look familiar to anyone?

Go HERE to see the eBay photo again.

Whaddya think?

There is a Shrine emblem hanging in the trees, must be same Camels.To me it looks like the area around the Colosseum.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Agreed but one could go lower...try a sad sidewalk tent in downtown Los Angeles or San Francisco....
I was referring more to a geographical sense of lost.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 8:35 PM

I found this image last week while we were finding filming locations around S Serrano Avenue. This is the 1962 Villa Serrano at 351 S Serrano. It's from a book called 'Los Angeles 1976' by Bevan Davies.

www.vincentborrelli.com

Here's a recent view showing how the trees have grown.

GSV

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 8:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
I was referring more to a geographical sense of lost.
Sorry Bill, I forgot that downtown LA cannot confer a geographical sense of the lost. So irresponsible of me.....

Richard1956file

Little Richard had a home in Los Angeles but said he felt lost in LA. He lived in the Lafayette Square area.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 11, 2020 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Sorry Bill, I forgot that downtown LA cannot confer a geographical sense of the lost. So irresponsible of me.....

Richard1956file

Little Richard had a home in Los Angeles but said he felt lost in LA. He lived in the Lafayette Square area.
I went to High School with a guy who lived in the house. He had no idea, and no interest in Little Richard lol. We would catch the bus together, and he would talk about how big the rooms we're, but overall the house is pretty average in size. His family sold it a few years ago i think, not much has changed to it in 20 years.

My dad knew and toured with LR in the late 50's and 80's. He came by our house with Etta James, i was a kid and didn't know who she was, but i knew for sure who Little Richard was. This was a few years after his crazy run in with Larry Williams and Johnny "Guitar" Watson (aka post his drug era).

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
I went to High School with a guy who lived in the house. He had no idea, and no interest in Little Richard lol. We would catch the bus together, and he would talk about how big the rooms we're, but overall the house is pretty average in size. His family sold it a few years ago i think, not much has changed to it in 20 years.

My dad knew and toured with LR in the late 50's and 80's. He came by our house with Etta James, i was a kid and didn't know who she was, but i knew for sure who Little Richard was. This was a few years after his crazy run in with Larry Williams and Johnny "Guitar" Watson (aka post his drug era).
Wow Unihikid....thanks for the memories, way cool.

Yes, it was a Spanish style home with a red tile roof and an ornate front door facade. Two story and moderately large. Not a tract house. I couldn't find a photo I could H/L. Maybe someone has it?

Johnny Guitar Watson.

wiki image

UPDATE:
This is the home that LA Times says was long ago owned by Little Richard the Originator of Rock n' Roll.

LATimes

I toured the area in the google limo-mobile....very upscale and well cared for. You'd be scratchin' to find a home less than one million dollars in that neighborhood.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 12, 2020 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 3:25 AM

A rare glimpse inside the St. Germain Cafe.

"1916 UNION IRON WORKS DINNER BUILT STEAMERS LA BREA & LOS ANGELES"

eBay

At first glance I thought there was a large mirror on the left but as you can see, in the close-up below, it is actually a side room.

There is a fairly ornate ceiling, as well as filigree details along the upper portions of the walls. . .and art nouveau wallpaper.

Whomever owned the photograph knew someone named "Edwin". (see below)

& finally, here's a closer look at the information on the photograph.

For search purposes:....Dinner given by the Union Oil Co. to the men of Union Iron Works who built the who built the steamers LaBrea & Los Angeles.....St. Germain Cafe...Jan. 18, 1916.

So here's my question:

Was the St. Germain Cafe located in the Germain Building on Spring Street, downtown?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 12, 2020 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 3:39 AM

While searching for the St. Germain Cafe I happened upon this image of a St. Germain Restaurant in the 3rd Street area.

googlebooks

Refresh my memory -have we seen this place previously on NLA?

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 4:41 AM

Quote:

While searching for the St. Germain Cafe I happened upon this image of a St. Germain Restaurant in the 3rd Street area.

googlebooks

The details in the photo look a bit grand for the large bungalow in the photo. I'm guessing it's a different building

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 7:20 AM

Quote:

& finally, here's a closer look at the information on the photograph.

For search purposes:....Dinner given by the Union Oil Co. to the men of Union Iron Works who built the who built the steamers LaBrea & Los Angeles.....St. Germain Cafe...Jan. 18, 1916.

So here's my question:

Was the St. Germain Cafe located in the Germain Building on Spring Street, downtown?

Located in San Francisco.

cardcow.com

The La Brea and Los Angeles were built there.

Google Books - Marine Review Vol. 47

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:

googlebooks

The house--originally addressed 269 S Mariposa--stood at the nec of Third & Mariposa until 1967. It appears to have been turned into a restaurant--first, the Cottage Dining Room--ca. 1945

LAT July 13, 1960

nec of Third and Mariposa today

Across the street: 269 S Mariposa, demolished in 2017

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I found this image last week while we were finding filming locations around S Serrano Avenue. This is the 1962 Villa Serrano at 351 S Serrano. It's from a book called 'Los Angeles 1976' by Bevan Davies.

www.vincentborrelli.com
For a second there I thought this was Pasadena
680 Marengo with the same screen block:

GSV

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 5:07 PM

That's curious. It has the exact same grill work.

Perhaps it had the same architect too.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:

That's curious. It has the exact same grill work.
One is turned 90 degrees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos