HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 11:23 PM

^I got the list almost all from information posted in this forum. The people here usually help me keep the list updated and if I post something wrong, they usually let me know fairly quickly.

I don't work for a tower crane company, but that would be interesting.

Thanks for the Bow Valley College update.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokimon View Post
Loads o'Cranes!!
This is nuts! I think there should be a comparison going on to see how many cranes there are for each of the Canadian Cities. I think Calgary must be no1 or no2.
I'd like to see that comparison too. A crane count is one of those quantifiable elements that can tell you which city is REALLY smokin' ! I know T.O. has a few tall scrapers U/C and a whole whack proposed but do they really have the crane count to compare with Calgary? Accounting for population, as well?

However, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think frinkprof/Calgary is the only ones keeping an accurate running tab.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 12:39 AM

^Edmonton has a thread going now too.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 6:30 PM
I am the law!

I couldn't tell you what Toronto's count currently is (fall/winter is usually on the low end of things) but it has ranged between 80 and 110 over the last couple of years ... add 15 to 25 more for the 905.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 7:08 PM

I'm not really interested in doing a comparison, as I don't really care all that much. However, if one were to be done, all counts would have to be on the same standards, i.e., all within city limits, all cranes counted are tower cranes used for construction, etc. Otherwise, there's no point in comparing, assuming one cares about the comparison in the first place. It would be like comparing downtown sizes or populations or densities. Well where exactly is "downtown" then?

If someone wants to use my count for comparative purposes, go ahead if you want.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 7:21 PM

I would say Calgary is third in the country in the crane department. Vancouver probably has more cranes (judging by my last trip there), but not allot more. Toronto of course is way out there.

I would also say that the metro areas would have to be included in crane counts.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:28 PM

Calgary's number of cranes has definitely been growing steadily. Just a few months ago, the total was in the low 40s.

Just analyzing the list quickly, I can see about 8 cranes which will probably come down within the 3 months - all the ones at the hospitals (6) plus Vetro and Five West.

However, just thinking about the ones that are to be added in that same timeframe leads me to believe that the count will grow. 2 more at Keynote, Le Germain, Astoria, up to 3 or 4 more at The Bow, 1 more at Centennial, Riverside Quays, maybe another at Gateway Midtown, I could see another added at London.

I'm probably overlooking some on either side, but I could see another 11 or 12 going up in the same timeframe that 7 or 8 come down.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:42 PM
That's what she said

^
Centuria and the Lacaille proposal on 4th are not too far off after that.

I'd say we could be looking at eclipsing the 'alleged' record of 64 cranes.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:46 PM

I figure it will hover around 60 or slightly below for awhile unless some major projects get going. Projects like 8th Ave. Place, City Centre, Railtown, etc.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:55 PM
Build'em high!

I think this was discussed before, but has anyone actually verified that we had 60 some cranes in the sky, circa 1908?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 10:02 PM

^Definitely not in 1908, ha.

The only person on this forum to say there was 64 at one time was Daver. He said that this was the record and it occurred in 1981. No one has verified it on here.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:24 AM
Build'em high!

lol! I suppose 1980 would be more like it.

I still find it hard to believe there were 64 cranes at once, but then again, we are almost at 60 now.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 5:45 PM

tower crane company

Can you guys list the companies which own tower cranes in Canada if you get chance?

Big construction contractors have their own tower cranes, small construction contractors just rent tower crane from tower crane companies. There should be a group of professinal crew(electrician, rigger, crane operator, engineer, mechanic, crane erector ect.) to put up ,take down and manage tower cranes in the tower crane companies.

I can list several tower crane companies.

1, Morrow equipment ltd. 2, Rapicon crane ltd, 3, PCL, 4, ELLISDON, 5, MORWEST CRANE SERVICES LTD, 6, Gramham 7,Reliance. 8, HARRIS REBAR
9. Eagle west

Welcome other guys list more tower crane companies in Canada

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 5:47 PM

I just heard from tower crane guys there were about 70 tower cranes in Calgary in 1980's

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 5:52 PM
HVAC guru

PCL, Ellis Don and Graham are general contractors, not crane companies. Although I wouldn't be suprised in they owned their own equipment.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
PCL, Ellis Don and Graham are general contractors, not crane companies. Although I wouldn't be suprised in they owned their own equipment.
They do own some, though I've seen them using rented as well. Ledcor does the same.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 7:32 PM
Master and Commander

You can add Encana to that list as well.
Don't they now own their very own tower crane?

I know Stampede Cranes and Mammoet are companies who will erect and assemble cranes.

Other than that I know the crane types themselves. Most of the common tower cranes are Liebherr and Potain crane models.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 7:42 PM

Quote:
I suspect that either Ledcor or one of the other contractors actually bought the crane, not Encana.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 8:15 PM

Quote:

I know Stampede Cranes and Mammoet are companies who will erect and assemble cranes.

Other than that I know the crane types themselves. Most of the common tower cranes are Liebherr and Potain crane models.

The one luffing tower crane in the Encana -the bow building jobsite) is POTAIN tower cane which is owned by RAPICON crane ltd. This crane is made in China. All new potain crane are made in China in Calgary right now.

Stampede Cranes, Sterling and Mammoet just use their all terrian mobile crane to put up or take down tower crane in Calgary.They don't have any type of the tower crane , they just have all type of mobile cranes.

Most of the tower cranes are WOLLFKRAN in Calgary right now , not the Liebherr -, Linden , pecco peiner , Potain crane .

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangsan View Post
I just heard from tower crane guys there were about 70 tower cranes in Calgary in 1980's
Which tower crane guys? We're trying to find someone that can verify how many cranes were at their peak in 1980/81.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates