HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 8:46 PM

There's something else about "Lord Stanley Plaza" that sounded wrong, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until now: the awkward and improbable juxtaposition of the Anglo-Saxon "Lord" and the Spanish "Plaza." Maybe that's just etymological nitpicking, but I think it sounds silly.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSteve View Post
There's something else about "Lord Stanley Plaza" that sounded wrong, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until now: the awkward and improbable juxtaposition of the Anglo-Saxon "Lord" and the Spanish "Plaza." Maybe that's just etymological nitpicking, but I think it sounds silly.
Is there a good native Anglo-Saxon substitute?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 9:05 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I'm almost positive that in common useage it will be called "Stanley Square". I know that's how I'm going to refer to it.
I think I'll join you. It's short and sweet.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
No, the MacKenzie King stairs are going to be replaced with a new set of stairs on the south side of the bridge.

From http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bins...-135532&lang=1
Quote:
Rideau Canal Open Space Rehabilitation – Ottawa Lockstation

Phase 2 – Fall 2011
The second phase of the project includes:

the removal and replacement of the corkscrew stairway at the Mackenzie King Bridge
Where did you get the information that there was going to be a new set of 'corkscrew' stairs on the south side of the Mackenzie King Bridge? From the link above, the replacement of the existing spiral stairs could be with the straight stairs beside the Ottawa Convention Centre.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 10:22 AM
Closed account

I am also not fond of the use of Plaza. It makes me think of a mall or a skyscraper. Square is far more appropriate.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 4:48 AM

Looks like the Stanley Cup monument and public square at Rideau-Sussex are in jeopardy. I don't even blame the city for giving the NCC the run around and flexing a little muscle. The NCC was rather presumptuous. Although I'm in favour of the public square and hope the monument gets built by 2017, I also want to see a traffic study into how removing the Mackenzie Avenue overpass will affect traffic flow. At the end of the day the NCC shouldn't have made plans for the land and approved the monument without getting buy-in from the actual land owner, i.e. the City of Ottawa.

Quote:
‘Ottawa jinx’ plagues Stanley Cup monument

If it takes forever to build an LRT line, redevelop Lansdowne Park or do something about pollution in the Ottawa River — why should anyone be surprised by what is happening with the Stanley Cup monument?

You could even argue we should have seen this coming. Nothing is ever easy in Ottawa. If there is a way to delay a project — then consider it delayed.

And so it is, with some sadness, that I must report the plan to erect a permanent monument to the Stanley Cup in Ottawa has hit a snag. A typical Ottawa snag – jurisdictional squabbles between different levels of government.

The problems, hopefully, are not enough to kill the project, but it is now almost certainly delayed. And when it will be built is anyone’s guess (sound familiar?)

“We were originally hoping to have the monument unveiled by the end of this year,” says Paul Kitchen, a well-known hockey historian in Ottawa (he helped design the Senators new throw-back jerseys) who has been pushing for a Stanley Cup monument for several years. “Now, we don’t know when that might happen.”

Here’s a quick bit of background: Kitchen helped form a non-profit group called Lord Stanley’s Memorial Monument, whose goal was to erect a “significant” monument to the Stanley Cup. The group felt this was a long-overdue recognition of hockey’s importance to Canada and also felt Ottawa was the logical place to build such a monument.

The city of Ottawa was quick to support the idea, in principle. Then the NCC came along and absolutely fell in love with the idea.

The NCC wanted the monument built at the corner of Rideau and Sussex, where it would be an “eastern gateway” to the Parliamentary precinct. The NCC board of directors — at its annual general meeting this past June — endorsed the Rideau and Sussex location.

“We were all terribly excited,” remembers Kitchen. “The location was perfect. We had the backing of the NCC and the city of Ottawa. Things were progressing quite well.”

And then — call it the Ottawa jinx, the thing that happens in this city when things are progressing too smoothly — the project hit a snag. Several actually, although the first was the NCC, which despite it’s enthusiasm for the project, had one, little problem it had failed to tell Kitchen.

It didn’t own the land.

That’s right, the NCC board of directors had approved building a monument on land it didn’t own. A little bit of a colonial attitude there, but hey, it’s the NCC.

Anyway, the city of Ottawa owns the corner of Rideau and Sussex. And the city isn’t at all sure this is the best location for a Stanley Cup monument.

The city is worried about increased traffic at that location. How it might impact on a planned LRT station nearby. And it reportedly just hates the idea the NCC is pushing, to close off MacKenzie Avenue at Rideau Street and create a “people friendly” square.

“I gather MacKenzie Avenue is the biggest area of concern for the city,” says Kitchen. “I’m not sure myself if that needs to be done, but that is the NCC proposal at the moment.”

The city has now ordered a traffic study for the intersection. No word on when that might be completed, although Kitchen says the new plan to have the monument erected by 2017 — the 100th anniversary of the NHL, the 125th of the Stanley Cup itself and the 150th for Canada — is in jeopardy.

(Both the city and the NCC say they remain “committed” to the project, but did not comment on how it is progressing.)

“We can’t do anything until the city and the NCC figure this out,” says Kitchen. “We can’t fundraise, we can’t hold a design competition. We’re sort of stuck in the middle.”

Ahh, Ottawa jurisdictional politics — don’t you just love it? (Perhaps what this city really needs is a statue to procrastination. Something along the lines of the classic statue “the Thinker.” Ours might be called the Ditherer. Any design ideas?)

It would be a pity if this idea fails. I agree with Kitchen that a fun, tourist-friendly monument to hockey is a great idea for Ottawa. There’s more to honour in this city than dead politicians.

I also agree that Ottawa is the natural place for such a monument. Not Toronto. Not Montreal. But Ottawa, the city where the Stanley cup was born.

Let’s hope our politicians don’t spend the rest of the decade discussing the idea.

ron.corbett@sunmedia.ca
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/01/15/...y-cup-monument

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 5:22 AM

Every urbanists' pal Ken Grey has a ranty post on the Bulls*** blog today about this. Complaints include: the city focusing on people, traffic and transit to prevent big hassles in the future, thus delaying a statue somewhat. After all, this is a very cramped, busy place and yes, much to Ken's chagrin, a totally useless LRT system that everyone will hate to use WILL be built underneath it. You certainly don't want to bring that reality into the equation.

Oh yeah, and condos, condos, height, height, height, Westboro, Westboro. It's Ken Grey, after all.

I'm all for good public space, but why close Mackenzie? People use this road to get from the Market to Centretown. It's the route in that area. The road exists, and has forever. Are people offended by it all of the sudden?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
EThe road exists, and has forever. Are people offended by it all of the sudden?
Actually, no - the Mackenzie ramp that would need to be removed was only built in the mid-1980s. Prior to that Mackenzie just teed into Wellington.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Every urbanists' pal Ken Grey has a ranty post on the Bulls*** blog today about this. Complaints include: the city focusing on people, traffic and transit to prevent big hassles in the future, thus delaying a statue somewhat. After all, this is a very cramped, busy place and yes, much to Ken's chagrin, a totally useless LRT system that everyone will hate to use WILL be built underneath it. You certainly don't want to bring that reality into the equation.
Bit of a tempest in a tea cup really. The priority is to get the LRT and the station built. With the realignment and geological findings of the summer, its still possible that the station layout might change.
This has always been an awkward (and in my opinion badly used) space. The square shown upthread looks great, but it's normal to do a traffic study when you realign streets like this. Might be a good idea to figure out how to use the old train station too. That surely will affect traffic patterns.

So we'll have to wait a few more years for our Stanley Cup monument. That's the least of this city's worries.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 8:30 PM

I love the idea of a public square, but a Stanley Cup monument? Seriously? As Canadians we risk becoming parodies of ourselves.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:24 PM
Closed account

I kind of agree that a Stanley Cup monument is a bit ridiculous. So is the NCC. So is Ken Gray (Grey? I hear he's touchy about that).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I kind of agree that a Stanley Cup monument is a bit ridiculous. So is the NCC. So is Ken Gray (Grey? I hear he's touchy about that).
At first I thought the idea was stupid because they were promoting it as a 60 foot Stanley Cup monument. Then I got the impression it would be a monument of Lord Stanley and the cup which is less weird. They were supposed to unveil the designs as a part of the All-Star festivities but doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:18 AM

Sorry, bit of a brain fart - didn't clue in to it being that stretch of Mackenzie. If that's the case, then forgive that part of my rant (the Ken Grey Grey GREY! part notwithstanding). That route can go, because it's kind of superfluous.

But I don't see how there ould be much of an LRT-square and statue clash if one is above ground nd the other below.
Ken Greygrey just wants to stop the tunnel at all costs, so he shoehorn it into every story, along with building height.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I like the idea. It would be awesome if it was a large statue of Lord Stanley, hands outstretched as though he had just bestowed the cup on some worthy winner.

And if when the Senators next win the cup they could bring it there and put it back in his hands, having him hold the bowl. Back to its roots.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:19 PM

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Lansdowne was my second choice. And if we win the Stanley Cup, maybe we can build a statue of Alfredsson hoisting the cup!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 5:04 PM

But if it's really about the Cup, and not the Sens, it likely will end up on the corner of Sparks and Elgin.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 6:06 PM

It would still be nice if a public square and monument ended up at Rideau and Sussex. Right now it's ugly.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 8:22 PM

Square off the intersection and build a plaza and monument to block Union Station's blank wall, please!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Square off the intersection and build a plaza and monument to block Union Station's blank wall, please!
Squaring off the intersection is in the Downtown Moves plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa