HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:39 PM

Has anyone else here been to the Assembly Chef's Hall in Toronto? How does Queen St Fare compare to it?

In the broadest sense of term, a food hall is essentially the same thing as a food court. That said, when someone uses the term "food court", they're usually talking about mall food courts with fast food counters. I would not equate Assembly Chef's Hall, for example, to a mall food court, and Queen St Fare appears to be closer to Assembly Chef's Hall rather than the Rideau Center food court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
No kidding eh? In every thread a specific ‘miserable’ offers up consistently negative and dismissive posts. It’s tiring to be honest...
From my experience on this forum, acottawa gets a kick out of being a contrarian about everything.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:58 PM

Yeah, SEN at Lansdowne, despite being a bit pricey for the food is top notch and make some exclusive Viet things that are nearly impossible to get elsewhere in the city. I wouldn't call them fast food.

Bar Robo (Chinatown location) is trendy and local and one of the best places in the city for great live music programming at night.

You've got the new Mexican spot from a Top Chef winner and the mixologist formerly from The Moon Room mixing cocktails.

I don't think there's a really big difference between a food court and a food hall but this place differentiates itself already by the mix of local businesses (not corporate chains) that not just serve food but also craft beers, good cocktails, and live music at night (that should be on point based on Bar Robo's other location).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'm told plans are already afoot for another restaurant in that location. I thought the Buzz was OK, although sevice could be a bit haphazard when they were busy.
I guess there were clearly others who agreed with you.

I really liked the ambiance, and thought the food was excellent. The new place seems to be a lot more downmarket - Vietnamese I think, but not something that you don't find on every other block downtown.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:13 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphoenix View Post
I don't think there's a really big difference between a food court and a food hall but this place differentiates itself already by the mix of local businesses (not corporate chains) that not just serve food but also craft beers, good cocktails, and live music at night (that should be on point based on Bar Robo's other location).
IMO it's mostly the businesses that set it apart from a standard food court. I can go anywhere and find a Subway, A&W, McDo's, Manchu Wok. Having those makes you the same as...Billings Bridge, or World Exchange, or something. Having local brands and craft beers sets it apart. The live music in the evenings is just icing on the cake for setting it apart.

If they want to create a name for it (food hall) and pretend it's like a German beer hall then go for it. Biermarkt tries to emulate that and mostly fails and that's ok.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:34 PM

^Yeah, exactly. I'm hopeful this will help make things a bit livelier in the neighbourhood outside of the office crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I guess there were clearly others who agreed with you.

I really liked the ambiance, and thought the food was excellent. The new place seems to be a lot more downmarket - Vietnamese I think, but not something that you don't find on every other block downtown.
It took me forever to get around to going to the Buzz but I went for a friend's birthday a few months back - and our food took forever (to the point where the server apologized a few times) even with a mostly empty restaurant and I just remember the quality for the price wasn't there. I think I just got the generic steak and frites and it was cooked to medium even though I had asked for medium rare. I can believe that it was good at one point - I trust the friend who recommended it - but based on what I saw and ate while I was there, I'm not surprised that it closed.

It is disappointing to hear no matter what though that it's been replaced by something more generic.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 2:13 AM
National Capital Region

a few highlights from recent building permit reports

Smoque Shack coming to 250 City Centre

Rabbit Hole - 208 Sparks - now open https://rabbitholeott.ca/

Food Frenz and Alladin Bakery coming to 265 Laurier E

Gabriel Pizza - 290 Rideau (maybe the old Don Cherry's?)

Little Caesars - 2200 Montreal @ Shefford

Authentic Viet Pho - 4235 Strandherd (near Costco)

Freshii - 290 West Hunt Club (east of Lowe's)

Trainyards is getting Ottawa's second Copper Branch
https://eatcopperbranch.com/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:08 PM

From Ottawa Magazine. Interview with the person responsible for programming at Queen Street Fare.

Early shows, lots of food, and a beautiful stage — Queen St. Fare brings something new to the live music scene

BY FATEEMA SAYANI
OTTAWA Magazine
POSTED JANUARY 29, 2019 3:32 PM

By day, it’s a 390-person capacity food hall with six local small plate vendors, a mixologist at the bar, and good coffee.

On late afternoons, evenings, and weekends, Queen St. Fare expands its offerings with live music. The entertainment side of things is organized by Jordan David, DJ, former bass player for The Love Machine, and rassembleur with the Music.Art.Ppl collective. We asked about his plans for the local live music scene.

Jordan David is planning the programming for Queen St. Fare. Photo by Hannah Holder. @holderphotograph

How are things going so far?

The space is big and we’re seeing what works sound-wise. We’ve been doing some acoustic and speaker treatment and dialing in to what we need to make it a world-class venue.

On late afternoons, evenings, and weekends, Queen St. Fare expands its offerings with live music. The entertainment side of things is organized by Jordan David, DJ, former bass player for The Love Machine, and rassembleur with the Music.Art.Ppl collective. We asked about his plans for the local live music scene.

Jordan David is planning the programming for Queen St. Fare. Photo by Hannah Holder. @holderphotograph
How are things going so far?
The space is big and we’re seeing what works sound-wise. We’ve been doing some acoustic and speaker treatment and dialing in to what we need to make it a world-class venue.

What is your plan for the space?

I envision an arts hub; a place for community to happen. My biggest vision is to make Queen St. Fare a space that’s open and welcoming with diverse programming.

Picture by @boomerbardia

You have been booking afternoon and early evening shows. What’s the plan?

We’re surrounded by office buildings, so I’ve been trying to connect the dots: How can we capture that crowd and maybe expose some acts to a newer audience? So far, it’s been really good. We’ve had happy hour programming from 4-7 p.m., jazz brunches, and midweek dance parties that start early. People want to hang out and experience culture. That’s been a big focus: presenting and making sure it happens on a regular basis.

How do you know it’s working?

A big crowd is always a good sign that people are receptive to earlier entertainment options. Because of the shape of the space, groups of people could be sitting toward the back of the room, but still taking in what’s happening on stage; or they could be engaged with their group of co-workers, peers, and friends while grooving to a band or DJ.

What’s coming up?

We’re going to be doing Timekode special events with bigger Canadian acts, which will be a live show followed by the dance party. Look for a date with Bonjay in March. We’re looking at bringing in one of the I Can’t Believe It’s Not classic album shows. We will be a venue for the Ottawa Jazz Festival. And I have been hearing from people interested in hosting craft fairs and night markets.

What is the stage setup like?

We move the tables and chairs, and the railings come off to reveal a spacious stage that is a beautiful setup for bands. We have a beautiful board, light controller, and projection screen to transform it into a nightclub venue. Two Technics turntables are set up permanently for DJs.

Can you get food during the shows?

You sure can. Vendors are offering their full menu and we’re looking at a late-night menu as well. Think of it like being at a festival, but instead of food trucks there are permanent stalls.

Can you get food when there’s a show on if, say, you’re just popping in for a bite?

Because we’re a new space that a lot of people have yet to see, we invite anyone who’s curious to check it out. We do our best to inform folks when they arrive that there is a ticketed event happening. If folks want to support the artist, they can pay the door person or one of the staff members at Q Bar, which is located directly next to the stage. We’re big believers in the Pay What You Can model, so our ticketed events always have that option. We really just want people to come out and experience Queen St. Fare. If you’re just looking to have some snacks and drinks with friends, that’s totally fine with us.

https://ottawamagazine.com/going-out...e-music-scene/

Last edited by J.OT13; Feb 5, 2019 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 12:47 AM

Noticed that Café My House has closed in Hintonburg - I guess they closed on January 28th, according to this post. But, it says the Chef, Briana Kim, is opening a new spot in Little Italy called, Alice.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:00 AM

what is with the Hintonburg / Westboro closings?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:56 AM

Two new places in the works on Rochester:

- just north of the Morning Owl (near Pamilla Street)
- between Norman and Beech in the former flower shop / scooter shop space.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
what is with the Hintonburg / Westboro closings?
There’s a natural churn, I’ve always heard that the average lifespan of a new restaurant is 2-3 years or some such.
Landlords hiking rent in the area is a another factor that I’ve heard plenty of first- and second-hand reports.
Phoenix is probably still impacting overall discretionary spending levels.
The “being in a hot hood” cachet only lasts so long as a regional draw, and if the effect wanes, the street is left with a lot places for the local market to support.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:17 PM

Occo Kitchen is opening a downtown location in the spring at 160 Bay Street (at the Albert at Bay Hotel).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:21 PM

Last night I noticed Kat & Cracken (formerly Woody's) on Elgin had its windows papered up. Is it closed? It never seemed to have the amount of business Woody's had.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
Last night I noticed Kat & Cracken (formerly Woody's) on Elgin had its windows papered up. Is it closed? It never seemed to have the amount of business Woody's had.
Renovating I believe. Probably taking advantage of the construction to do it.

That is too great a location to be empty.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 9:09 PM

Has anyone here tried the ISSAC'S Restaurant in Kanata's Centrum?

There used to be a restaurant called Issac's in the little mall at Hazeldean/Castlefrank. It had quite a good food, with a pallet of different flavours. My wife always liked their Duo-soup (two flavours of cream soup swirled in one bowl).

I was disappointed when it disappeared a few years ago. I had guessed that offering non-roadhouse food in Kanata was simply a non-started. If it is a return of the same restaurant (and chef), then it might be worth a trip back to Kanata.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 2:18 PM
National Capital Region

Uncle Tetsu (Japanese cheesecake) replacing Boko Bakery
https://twitter.com/CarysMills/statu...45626825363456

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:45 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Clover Food | Drink, a cosy and well-regarded eatery in Centretown, to close in mid-April

Peter Hum, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: March 13, 2019

Clover Food | Drink, a well-regarded and socially progressive restaurant in Centretown, is to close next month after almost five years in business, its “exhausted” chef and co-owner West de Castro said Wednesday.

De Castro broke the news on Twitter early Wednesday morning, writing: “We will be serving our last diners on April 13. ‘Til we lock the doors for the final time, we hope you can join us for a drink, a meal, or even a chat.”

“With our lease up for renewal, we had to consider many factors,” de Castro said in an interview with this newspaper. “While business was steady, our dinner services remained unpredictable. It was never enough for me to bring in extra staff to take some of the load off me. And in turn, I worked pretty much every single service on top of everything else needed to be done for the restaurant … I’m exhausted physically and mentally.”

De Castro added that she has put off knee surgery for too long, and closing the restaurant will allow her to have her operation.

“All in all, business was good enough to ensure we paid all our staff, our suppliers, licences, rent and utilities … and our taxes,” she continued. “And we were able to stick to our ethos of sourcing sustainable and local proteins, and supporting small, local independent businesses. We’re proud to be able to close on our own terms. Not a lot of businesses can say that at the end of the day.”

Clover earned a strong reputation soon after it opened. De Castro, who before opening Clover was the sous-chef at the vegan dining destination ZenKitchen, cooked appealing, thoughtful, elevated comfort food, and photos of her weekly special burgers, posted on social media, were sure to prompt cravings.

Clover was also known for hosting LGBTQ2+ community events as well as an annual Women in Industry dinner. This year’s dinner, held last Saturday in connection with International Women’s Day, raised money for the Elizabeth Fry Society of Ottawa.

“Considering Danielle (Guay) and I had no experience owning and running a restaurant, or even business ownership … we learned a lot,” de Castro said. “We signed a lease on a slight whim and opened (very quietly) in six short weeks. We ran Clover much like a family business. We identified the mistakes we made and learned from those, as well as from our successes.”

De Castro pointed out that throughout Clover’s run, Guay “worked a day job and took care of our household … and was our Saturday night dishwasher. (That’s) the main reason we were able to carry through almost five years.”

De Castro said she has not made any plans beyond having surgery in early May. “I’ll be sidelined a bit … I have about six weeks to sort out what’s next,” she said. “It most likely won’t be restaurant ownership, not right away, anyway.”

Clover’s impending closure follows the shuttering last December of MeNa, a fine-dining destination in Little Italy, as well as the closures last August of chef-owner Harriet Clunie’s Beechwood Gastropub in New Edinburgh and Pomeroy House in the Glebe.

phum@postmedia.com
twitter.com/peterhum

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...e-in-mid-april

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:17 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Retro style meets modern tech at Ottawa’s Pudgyboy’s
A 50s-style diner in Ottawa is adopting tech-focused ordering model to increase operating efficiency

By: Michael D'Alimonte, OBJ
Published: Mar 15, 2019 2:55pm EDT

A simple menu of burgers and fries. Checkered floors. Vintage radios. And something a little futuristic.

Walk into Pudgyboy’s at 311 Bank St. and you’ll notice the eatery has all the stylings of a '50s-inspired diner, save for one important difference: Where you’d expect a fresh-faced server wearing a paper cap and a bright smile ready to take your order, what you’ll actually find is a touch screen and a card reader.

Pudgyboy’s doesn’t have any front-of-house staff. Instead, customers order their meals using self-service digital kiosks that only accept debit and credit cards.

“Right from the get-go we haven’t been taking any cash,” said co-owner Max Anisman, who, alongside Corey Sauvé, opened Pudgyboy’s last November.

Pudgyboy’s self-service kiosks are simple to operate. Hungry patrons swipe through the restaurant’s selection of miniaturized sliders, fries and donuts, tap on what they want, pay, then wait for their order to be served at the counter.

“It allows customers to choose exactly what they want, how they want it, without having a middleman make a mistake,” said Sauvé.

Pudgyboy’s isn’t alone in the adoption of self-service kiosks in the fast-casual food sector.

McDonald’s, Panera Bread and Chipotle Mexican Grill are some of the major fast-food chains that have integrated self-service kiosks while still including traditional counter attendants.

“We’ve seen a dramatic rise in interest for self-order kiosks, mainly driven by labour and up-selling,” said Dawar Rashid, client relations manager for Eflyn, the company that designed Pudgyboy’s order kiosks.

Customers ordering on their own, through a digital device or an online service like SkipTheDishes, tend to order meals that are 20 per cent more expensive than they would when ordering at a service counter, Dawar said.

Several studies support that figure, though the research is far from exhaustive.

Increased sales or no, when it comes to savings on labour, order kiosks are an attractive option for restaurants.

“In Ontario, with the increase in minimum wage, it’s increased the focus and attention on how to decrease labour costs,” said Chris Gibbs, an associate professor at Ryerson’s Ted Rogers School of Management who researches the adoption of technology in the hospitality industry.

An Eflyn kiosk only costs about $14 to power for almost an entire day, while paying a cashier to take orders instead would cost at least that much every hour. Most restaurants operate on slim profit margins, so that level of saving can be a major boon, Gibb says.

A fast-food restaurant where convenience trumps the dining experience is also the ideal setting for a self-order kiosk, he added.

Adopting a fully self-service ordering model may alienate some customers who are unfamiliar with the technology, though experts say younger consumers are keen on kiosks and other digital approaches.

“The millennial generation, the up-and-coming generations, are okay in the service industry not speaking to somebody,” said Gibbs.

On the other hand, older customers, international tourists, or people looking for a more traditional sit-down dining experience could be confused or put off by a self-order device.

For Sauvé and Anisman, any potential pitfalls in the self-service model are outweighed by the benefits of eliminating the need for a front-of-house staff, especially when it comes to operating efficiency.

Cashless kiosks negate the need to do cash-outs at the end of the day, allow for changes to the menu without the need to print new copies and allow for the instantaneous addition of promotional offers without the need to alert staff, they said.

Sauvé and Anisman also co-own Flapjack’s, a Canadian-themed diner in Little Italy. Flapjack’s has a menu with recipes almost identical to Pudgyboy’s, save for the size of items.

“When a staff member is hired at Pudgyboy’s, they’re trained for both. When a staff member is hired (at Flapjack’s), they’re trained for both. Our incentive is to have a larger staff to choose from,” said Sauvé.

Having workers trained to work at either Flapjack’s or Pudgyboy’s also makes opening new locations easier, with expansion top of mind for Sauvé and Anisman.

“We want to open more locations of both,” said Sauvé, later adding their goal is to open five more locations in the next three years.

“We’re always looking,” he said. “And when we find the right spot, we’ll have the right staff that’s trained for both locations.”

http://www.obj.ca/index.php/article/...awas-pudgyboys

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:21 PM

Been to Pudgyboys a couple times. I like it. Good quality, reasonable prices. I imagine the reduced labour cost is key to being able to run the business with that quality and price.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 2:42 PM

According to Reddit, it looks like Wasabi in the market has closed.

Really disappointed since Wasabi was one of my favourite sushi places in the city. Tough times in this city for the restaurant industry these days :/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation