HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 8:14 PM

Guys, we should not be inciting violence against protesters.. if anything it will only encourage them. Not to mention that these kinds of threats being made in a public forum are not the greatest idea in the first place.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 8:15 PM

I'd be more likely to be scared of them and pretend to be on their side, if confronted. It's not worth arguing or a confrontation lol

It's how I deal with the Greenpeace, etc. people that harass you on West Georgia Once I signed their petition while wearing a leather jacket. I got looks

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 8:23 PM

I want to cross a PETA demonstration wearing fur. Now that would be fun!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 8:26 PM

anti-fur people scare me more than anti-Olympic people. And I don't even own any fur

Being Vancouver, there will probably be at least a handful of them joining in on the anti-Olympic parade, along with every other pet cause that you can think of.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I don't have a problem with CBC reporting. In fact, I read their articles quite often.

I was more or less commenting on the deranged people who comment on every single CBC article with stuff so far out there you need a telescope to figure out what they're talking about.

And they are definitely in the majority there. And because of this have the twisted view that normal people agree with them.
Welcome to the internet! Where people don't really want open discussion and learning but instead want their narrow views of the world validated by others who think the same. It makes them feel smarter and better about themselves.

It used to be called group think but lately the youngins seems to be calling it a circle jerk which is much more hilarious and fitting.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexYVR View Post
I agree with most of your points - such as the rights for peaceful, non-violent protest if people wish - but you're overlooking the fact that Metro Vancouver residents signed on the dotted line for all of this when 64% voted to host the Olympics in 2003. This isn't just a majority but a supermajority, showing true support for what's happening. There have been cost overruns and compromises, but these are part of any undertaking of this scale. Like ANY democratic process, it is the citizenry's right to make themselves heard - peacefully - even if they are in the minority. The Olympics are not taking these rights away. It's democracy, guy.
the refernedum was a joke though - vancouver had already won the games - it was a token gesture there was no way they would go to the IOC and so oh the citizens dfon't want the games

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the refernedum was a joke though - vancouver had already won the games - it was a token gesture there was no way they would go to the IOC and so oh the citizens dfon't want the games
Your statement is incorrect. COPE with Larry Campbell as Mayor swept into office in Vancouver in November 2002. The referendum (actually I think it was a plebiscite) took place in February 2003. (I live in Vancouver and voted Yes.) The games were awarded to Vancouver on July 2, 2003. If the vote had been 64% against, I doubt that Vancouver would have been awarded the games.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
(The above is based on my informal survey at work which resulted only in one person in 20 asked going to an event and only because they got deeply discounted tickets due to their connections to the Sweedish skiing team )
The result could not be more different at my work. On average more than 1/3 of people that I've asked at my workplace are going to Olympics events, and my employer itself has given away about a hundred tickets to employees in random draws. And no, we are not a sponsor or anything like that. It is foolish to draw conclusions from anecdotal evidence like yours (or mine).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
if i'm enjoying myself at these olymips and a protester gets all hot and bothered in my face, my fist will be in theirs.

it's as simple as that. bring it on boys. there will be beer in me.

you may read this and say that this is nothing but internet bravado, but let me tell you... i know i am not the only one that thinks this way. many are getting sick of these people.
I totally agree with you. I know lot of people that are fed up with these losers.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 10:18 PM

I get rage strokes with these protesters, I seriously do...but I'm gonna put my faith on security forces to act accordingly to their antics.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
I get rage strokes with these protesters, I seriously do...but I'm gonna put my faith on security forces to act accordingly to their antics.
what exactly "acting accordinly" implies is going to be watched very carefully. if there's any force used by police, i'm sure there'll be countless inquiries and controversy for years to come.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
what exactly "acting accordinly" implies is going to be watched very carefully. if there's any force used by police, i'm sure there'll be countless inquiries and controversy for years to come.
1) If protesters are blocking roads/traffic, they need to be removed immediately.

2) If protesters are using megaphones to disrupt outdoor celebration events, they need to be removed immediately.

3) If protesters are caught vandalizing Olympic decorations and/or public/private property, they need to be arrested immediately.

4) If protesters are caught trying to climb over a security fence, they need to be removed immediately.

5) If protesters are caught intimidating/harrassing Olympic spectators (individuals protesters deemed as "brainwashed" and "supportive of this capitalist event"), they must be removed immediately.

Zero tolerance. The Games are here. We've dealt with this B.S. with the countdown events over the past few years. But this time, the foot is going down.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 10:54 PM

Anti-Olympic activists plan massive disruption on opening day of Vancouver Olympics

By Ian MacLeod , Canwest News Service
February 5, 2010 2:22 PM

OTTAWA — A call has gone out for anti-Olympic activists from across the continent to clog the streets of Vancouver and disrupt the first full day of the Winter Games.

Details of the planned Feb. 13 street march, called “2010 Heart Attack: clog the arteries of Capitalism,” appeared Friday on InfoShop News, a U.S.-based anarchist web site and Vancouver’s Olympic Resistance Network site.

“Several anti-capitalist, anti-colonial groups and individuals are organizing a demonstration respecting the diversity of tactics,” it announced.

“We expect your group to have a collective position on how confrontational you want to be during the demonstration. We also expect that discussion or proposal of illegal acts remains between comrades and affinity groups in order to keep everyone safe.”

The planned march will take place outside a designated area near the Pacific Coliseum for protesters to assemble. Police say the site and other “safe assembly areas” are not meant to stifle dissent, but rather to provide areas where protest is possible.

The online call to action urges protesters to support, “each others’ chosen method of resistance while not threatening the lives of those around us. It is a way by which we hope to create space for the realization of tension, uncertainty, action, humour and beauty as we strive for new ways to engage with each other and against a common enemy.

“As participants we agree to leave the policing of tactics to our oppressors, not our comrades; we will not attack each other for using methods that are not our own. Through a diversity of tactics we are stronger and more cohesive towards our goal of giving Capitalism a massive coronary.”

Organizers could not be reached to elaborate.

The march is to coincide with the first “autonomous day of action,” sponsored by the Olympic Resistance Network, which bills the events as, “action including anti-corporate actions, rallies to oppose militarization and more.”

“People are expecting trouble from the police, this is not specific to the 13th, but for all the actions that have been called,” said Harjap Grewal, a network member. “The police have never dealt with a situation where they’re actually doing security against a mass demonstration at an Olympic Games. They’ve done this at the WTO and the Free Trade Area of the Americas meetings, where they can basically set up a police line around one venue and they’re OK.

“But they’re dealing with 50,000 tourists and a city that’s going to have all sorts of things going on.” he said. “People are curious about what’s going to happen, but there’s always more of a concern in these situations about what the police action is going to be then what the protesters’ actions are.”

For months now, a loose coalition of anti-Olympic, anti-global, anti-poverty and anti-capitalists have been organizing protests to take place at the Games, always a favourite backdrop for demonstrators. Olympic security is responding with more than 15,000 police, military and private security guards and a total security budget of $900 million.

The only violence over the past two years has come from rebels who have claimed direct action against upward of 50 windows at nationwide branches of RBC, a chief sponsor of the Games.

Meanwhile, the risk of terrorism or other attacks aimed at disrupting the Olympics in Vancouver remains at a low level, the head of security for the Vancouver Olympics said this week.

As for smaller threats to the Games from the Olympic Resistance Network and others, Assistant RCMP Commissioner Bud Mercer said no citizen would be allowed to disrupt the Games in a way that breaks the law.

“Everyone has the right to enjoy the Games ...,” he said. “Not just the Olympic Resistance Network.”

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

And in amidst all this chaos will be a terrorist's opportunity to carry out a real terrorist attack...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 10:58 PM

Well, at least they are promising not to kill people. That's super.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 10:58 PM

Police outline rules for Olympic protesters

Feb 05, 2010 12:41:30 PM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - From soccer moms to anarchists, up to 1,500 demonstrators are expected when the Olympic Games begin a week from today. The police have laid down the rules for what they will and will not allow protesters to do. Both the RCMP and Vancouver Police say they want to make it very clear they have nothing against lawful, peaceful demonstrations that do not keep other people from enjoying normal lawful activities.

However, Vancouver Deputy Police Chief Steve Sweeney says they have plans for protestors who don't know what the 'no-no's' are after some anti-Olympic activists have pledged to do their best to disrupt the Games. "It depends on what they mean by disruption, again if they're going to tackle the torchbearer, that's unlawful."

Sweeney says police won't let demonstrators block the path of the Olympic torch either. Special areas have been set aside at most venues where demonstrators can vent whatever they want.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
In all seriousness, let me share the benefit of living in DC. Do not under any circumstances do direct or even seemingly benign confrontation of protesters. It might lead you to get swept up in any arrests that take place.
I agree whole-heartedly. Be cool. If you absolutely have to do something, use a mobile device to film the morons going on a rampage (well away from said morons), then get ready to submit that to the authorities.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 11:16 PM

I think everyone needs to chill. Where are all these out-of-town protesters going to stay? It's not like there's extra space available and it would be somewhat ironic if they took shelter that could be used by someone who's homeless...

By saying there MIGHT be 1500 protesters, they have probably gotten they wanted in terms of coverage.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 11:17 PM
victory in near

Quote:

Anti-Olympic activists plan massive disruption on opening day of Vancouver Olympics

Details of the planned Feb. 13 street march, called “2010 Heart Attack: clog the arteries of Capitalism,” appeared Friday on InfoShop News, a U.S.-based anarchist web site and Vancouver’s Olympic Resistance Network site.
so far, this article at infoshop news has had 0 comments and 82 views (of which probably 3 have been from me)

i tried to comment but it took too long to register. i wanted to write "do not protest around the guy wearing red, because he gets mad easily and will F##K U up"

Quote:

that's perfect! let them protest on the 12th, arrest them all and lock them up until march 1st.

Do you think they would be particularly offended being photographed while protesting, as they ask people to do of the police?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]