HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 4:02 AM
Salty Town

With all of the use of subgrade building materials lately (vinyl, tin, fake brick, fake stone etc.) it's really nice to see copper being used on the bandstand roof. That's 2 copper domes in the past year. The other is the dome on top of the Dominion Public Building on Bedford Row.

It would be great if they would keep the Public Gardens open through the Christmas season. The refurbished bandstand would be an excellent venue for Christmas carols etc.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 7:17 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think the new bandstand has better detailing and because of the higher-quality materials will look better as it ages. The copper is definitely a step up from the Disneyland-style red fiberglass. One of the fountains will be restored as well; both are beautiful and very rare in Canada. No other Canadian cities have anything quite like the historic Public Gardens. Most of the country doesn't have the climate and BC doesn't have the history.

I am in favour of paying for high-end improvements to the Public Gardens because it is a first-rate public attraction that benefits the whole city. It's something actually worth visiting, whether you are a local, a tourist, or a suburbanite, and it makes the surrounding area more desirable (no surprise that so many condo towers have a view of the gardens). It's also not actually that expensive; the city spent $150,000 on the bandstand. This is less than what has been spent on some studies and bids that haven't produced any tangible benefits whatsoever.

I am hoping that the library will be another similar attraction, something worth going to even if you live in Sackville or Dartmouth, and maybe even worth exploring if you're visiting from another city. The core should be packed with amenities like that.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 1:07 PM

edit - never mind, found it.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 9:53 AM

They have continued to add more steel to the crown, photos by me:

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 11:51 AM

They better not put that turquoise crap around the windows at the top. That would look horrible!

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
They better not put that turquoise crap around the windows at the top. That would look horrible!
I don't know, since it's starting to look like the head of the Statue of Liberty now, the turquoise might actually add to it

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
With all of the use of subgrade building materials lately (vinyl, tin, fake brick, fake stone etc.) it's really nice to see copper being used on the bandstand roof. That's 2 copper domes in the past year. The other is the dome on top of the Dominion Public Building on Bedford Row.

It would be great if they would keep the Public Gardens open through the Christmas season. The refurbished bandstand would be an excellent venue for Christmas carols etc.
Also a copper dome on the mosque on Chebucto, I think.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 5:00 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I think they will, a la martello almost.

Is this turqouise stuff supposed to be patina copper, is that what they are trying to emulate?

This is Halifax's Trump Toronto the way its turning out, people either love it or hate it. I think its at least cohesive with the Martello... but I didn't like the pink/turquoise colours of it initially.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 6:04 PM

The photos don't do this building justice - it's much more offensive in person. The appropriateness of the colours of the metal bay window panels and green glass spandrel panels is suspect enough alone but coupled together makes for an extremely bad fit.

And somebody should put some candles on that giant cake on top. Just unbelievably hard to look at and see anything good coming of this especially when it is covered with tiny glass panels (Check out the huge glass panels on the Vic - very well done).

Love it or hate it? Haven't come across anybody yet in the love it camp, and like most here I live in a very pro development, pro height world.

As one person I know said - it's bad enough to be ugly, but inexcusable to be so ugly in such a visible and prominent location. We are stuck with looking at it for our entirety.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 6:12 PM

This is a great example of where city staff could have helped this project (and us) by ensuring stricter adherence to the original DA. For instance the green glass would not have happened.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 7:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks pretty bad. The upper floor panels really look nothing like the rendering.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 10:04 PM
we built this city

I like it, I think it will come together in the end.

The Turquoise is somewhat of a Halifax motif from copper and house colour.

Its a million times better than what was there before.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 10:16 PM
Salty Town

The original crown was better with a recessed section and uplighting. It is hard to imagine the building pulling together in the 11th hour. The precast panels give it a Paramount look and the form of the building is a basic box. Most of this was obvious in the initial renderings and then changes have been made that make it worse. Perhaps someone will finally say once you start to build you have to stick to the DA and original design unless the design police say it is O.K. to change.

The Design Review Committee (who didn't review this proposal) is far from a design review committee and should change their name.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:47 AM

Speaking for myself - I am tired of the typical Halifax complacency with mediocrity with the "better than what was there" attitude. This is no excuse or consolation for poor execution.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRM View Post
Speaking for myself - I am tired of the typical Halifax complacency with mediocrity with the "better than what was there" attitude. This is no excuse or consolation for poor execution.
Completely agree.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 3:43 AM

Can't wait to get some finished photos of this beauty

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 12:16 PM

This building makes no sense at all. Awful design.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Can't wait to get some finished photos of this beauty

I think this picture provides some hope that it will look better when the exterior cladding is complete. I think that having the balconies enclosed in glass improves the appearance.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

It's this that pains me. Why oh why would they do that?!

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think this picture provides some hope that it will look better when the exterior cladding is complete. I think that having the balconies enclosed in glass improves the appearance.
IMO, that's the only angle where the building looks decent. The view from the Public Gardens is a complete eye-sore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth