HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:34 AM
TL;DR

What fraction of Claiborne is desirable? I guess from Nashville to Carrollton?

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What fraction of Claiborne is desirable? I guess from Nashville to Carrollton?
Basically. Even then it's hit or miss by block.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 3:42 PM

Uptown is right that the trends in the 60s were against n. Claiborne, but the trends now are in favor of old charming urban areas. I live on the "rough side" of the Irish Channel, and let me tell you, it won't be even remotely rough amazingly soon. I can count dozens of total renovations and new buildings going up right now! And the market is overheating. My friend is buying a tiny house for $350,000. Now with Mid City, there is a gentrifying force coming from the direction of Carrollton... Think Finn McCools, Parkway Bakery. And there's a gentrifying force coming from Rampart. If we can get these two forces to meet in the middle (between Broad and Claiborne) we will have a gorgeous old city radiating from the French Quarter with renovated shotguns as far as the eye can see both downriver, upriver, and toward the Lake. It's a crying shame that all our tourists are stuck to the three blocks of the Quarter up against the river because the city past Rmpart is seen as so dangerous. Tear down the expressway and let the Irish Channel-style gentrification connect the neighborhoods between Finn McCools and Rampart. Imagine what it would do to property values on Esplanade alone.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 4:43 PM

Gusman's Prison Skyscraper.

Prison update, looks like they started adding another floor over the past week. When will Gusman's palace stop growing?

Side question:
How do we add pics? I have one but can't post it w/o linking to a URL...

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
Prison update, looks like they started adding another floor over the past week. When will Gusman's palace stop growing?

Side question:
Set up an account on flickr. Thats really pretty simple to do. Load the photo to computer then add to your flickr account and then you post the url from there.

Test Piles for South Market

Last edited by tennis1400; May 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
Uptown is right that the trends in the 60s were against n. Claiborne, but the trends now are in favor of old charming urban areas. I live on the "rough side" of the Irish Channel, and let me tell you, it won't be even remotely rough amazingly soon. I can count dozens of total renovations and new buildings going up right now! And the market is overheating. My friend is buying a tiny house for $350,000. Now with Mid City, there is a gentrifying force coming from the direction of Carrollton... Think Finn McCools, Parkway Bakery. And there's a gentrifying force coming from Rampart. If we can get these two forces to meet in the middle (between Broad and Claiborne) we will have a gorgeous old city radiating from the French Quarter with renovated shotguns as far as the eye can see both downriver, upriver, and toward the Lake. It's a crying shame that all our tourists are stuck to the three blocks of the Quarter up against the river because the city past Rmpart is seen as so dangerous. Tear down the expressway and let the Irish Channel-style gentrification connect the neighborhoods between Finn McCools and Rampart. Imagine what it would do to property values on Esplanade alone.
This and DillardAlum's were excellent posts. So much opportunity to improve a large part of the city, and the traffic changes would be minimal.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 7:36 PM

Thanks Tennis. With those test pilings, I see them from time to time how come they add the I beams to the tops and bolt them to the posts? What are they looking for? Just want to understand.

Sometimes I'll see them and mark how many feet (I think) they have gone down.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 7:42 PM

Prison Pic

Quote:

Side question:

Last edited by thalia; May 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM. Reason: Pic not displaying

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 9:37 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Thanks Tennis. With those test pilings, I see them from time to time how come they add the I beams to the tops and bolt them to the posts? What are they looking for? Just want to understand.

Sometimes I'll see them and mark how many feet (I think) they have gone down.
It simulates the amount of weight that the pile will need to bear after the building is complete.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 10:19 PM
-

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:08 AM

Quote:
The Pontchartrain mainline is at grade at Galvez. You'd have to tear down the ramps to the Claiborne Expressway, but obviously they wouldn't connect to anything anymore.

San Francisco has thrived with an incomplete freeway network. It's not a perfect analogy, since SF has an excellent transit system by American standards, but it's not impossible.

The removal of Claiborne doesn't necessarily mean we stop construction on highways. We still desperately need a bridge from Algiers-Chalmette, and a Florida Avenue Expressway down into St. Bernard is still a good idea if they design it properly.
While living in Houston in the mid 90's I watched the entire 610 South loop west, 610 South Loop and the 610 North loop completely rebuilt in 3 years. Southwest freeway was also completely torn down and rebuilt in that same period. I'm not sure why it takes decades to rebuild an interchange at Causeway and 1-10, but something isn't working out to the public’s advantage in any major roadway improvement in the New Orleans area. This entire road clutter just further hurts the business climate in the Metro area. I think the Algiers / Chalmette Bridge are a great idea. It's been proposed for several decades, originally it was to wipe out a large part of Bywater, But if well thought out it could possibly follows Behrman Avenue between the CCC and the river (looping around Federal City) cross the river at the industrial canal (land at the last small section of Rampart and run parallel to the Ind. Canal into France Road and then out to the east. This expressway could serve the port activity in the Industrial canal and tie in the uptown wharfs and container areas to the Canal. This could eliminate the need for the old 610 Claiborne overpass. And as stated above, the West bank expressway is an attractively designed roadway, every new elevated section of highway should be held to this type of design. Even if the Claiborne overpass is rebuilt, it could be build at a higher elevation than the current expressways in use to allow natural light to filter down into the dark areas of the overpass that mostly seem dangerous and uninviting to outsiders. Possible bike trails and or tram service could follow under these (and yes, contemporary designed trams, not the old streetcars (the old streetcars seem better fitted for historic areas that don’t have expressways running through them

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:10 AM
-

Some new permits:

601 Frenchmen St·New Construction ·Permit #13-16347-NEWC ·Ref Code: AXBNCS
Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Rodney Ratliff
Application Review
Date Filed:
5/24/2013 3:45:00 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a 2-story, 2932sf restaurant (Dat Dog) as per plans, BZA dkt #23-13 and 12-31354-HDLC

2230 Thalia St·New Construction ·Permit #13-16569-NEWC ·Ref Code: VHYPZY
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
St Martin Brown & Associates, Llp
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
5/28/2013 5:03:37 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a 14300 s.f. 1 story community center as per plans and City Planning Approval.

4301 Chef Menteur Hwy·New Construction ·Permit #13-16324-NEWC ·Ref Code: 3UEELG
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Inc. Walmart Stores East
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
5/24/2013 2:14:16 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct new Walmart Supercenter as per plans.

1661 Canal St #1001·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Permit #13-16416-RNVN ·Ref Code: QC1MD2
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
W. R. Newman & Associates, Inc.
Application Review
Date Filed:
5/28/2013 10:14:26 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant commercial unit to a dialysis clinic as per plans.

233 Chartres St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Permit #13-16306-RNVN ·Ref Code: P88SCM
Type:
Applicant:
JENNIFER WELLS
Application Review
Date Filed:
5/24/2013 1:38:10 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant 4-story building to a single family residence as per plans. No exterior work under this permit.

315 Julia St [Embassy Suites Hotel]·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Permit #13-16270-RNVN ·Ref Code: P0NC2W
Download (2) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Mark Mills
Application Review
Date Filed:
5/24/2013 10:43:17 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Interior renovations to the guestrooms at existing hotel as per plans. No increase in number of hotel rooms. No exterior work under this permit.

411 Natchez St, 329 Tchoupitoulas St·HDLC COA ·Permit #13-15568-HDLC ·Ref Code: ZVV2EL
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Rozas-Ward Architects
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
5/17/2013 5:16:32 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New Construction (original CofA imported as Code Enforcement Cases HDLCP-12-0241 & HDLCP-12-1681)

Rendering of building for permit above.

709 Jackson Ave·HDLC COA ·Permit #13-14138-HDLC ·Ref Code: BKKNGF
Download (3) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Kirk Faubacher
Application Review
Date Filed:
5/7/2013 9:42:07 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Conversion of vacant synagogue into 13-unit apartment building.

530 Natchez St [City Looks Salon Of New Orleans]·HDLC COA ·Permit #13-14147-HDLC ·Ref Code: UBXBN0
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Rachel Davis
HDLC CBD ARC Meeting
Date Filed:
5/7/2013 10:13:13 AM
Closed:
No

401 St Joseph St·HDLC COA ·Permit #13-15390-HDLC ·Ref Code: E4D7L1
Download (3) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Ivan Mandich Us Eng., LLC
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
5/16/2013 3:07:58 PM
Closed:
No
Description
renew CofA HDLCP-10-0709

635 S Peters St·HDLC COA ·Permit #13-15068-HDLC ·Ref Code: FE3F1F
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Nano LLC
Application Review
Date Filed:
5/14/2013 4:51:23 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct second floor addition at existing one-story commercial building.

8 Press St·HDLC COA ·Permit #13-12002-HDLC ·Ref Code: FSPVYH
Download (12) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
John C. Williams Architects, LLC
Returned for revision
Date Filed:
4/17/2013 1:46:21 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Construction of two-story warehouse on vacant lot. Hubigs Pies

848 Carondelet St·HDLC COA ·Permit #13-06623-HDLC ·Ref Code: T6SEMT
Download (16) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Wisznia Architecture & Development
Date Filed:
3/4/2013 2:32:10 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Rehabilitate existing garage building into mixed-use, multi-family development.

Last edited by tennis1400; May 29, 2013 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 1:20 PM

Carrollton Traffic About to Get Heavier

Quote:
The far-right lanes of both sides of South Carrollton Avenue around the new Costco warehouse will close this week as the city begins a streetscape project around the site, officials announced.

The $5.5 million project will add a left-turn lane onto Palmetto Street, install a new traffic light at Dublin and Dixon streets, repave the road and replace the sidewalks, city officials said in a news release today.
http://uptownmessenger.com/2013/05/s...d-costco-site/

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:06 PM

Thanks for the massive update, Tennis! I'm especially impressed by the overhaul of the eyesore parking structure on Carondelet, the new 4 story structure on Tchoupitoulas, and the synagogue conversion! Jackson Ave. comes alive! Now if only the abandoned hospital will be somehow retrieved from its Chernobyl-like state.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalt51 View Post
While living in Houston in the mid 90's I watched the entire 610 South loop west, 610 South Loop and the 610 North loop completely rebuilt in 3 years. Southwest freeway was also completely torn down and rebuilt in that same period. I'm not sure why it takes decades to rebuild an interchange at Causeway and 1-10, but something isn't working out to the public’s advantage in any major roadway improvement in the New Orleans area. This entire road clutter just further hurts the business climate in the Metro area. I think the Algiers / Chalmette Bridge are a great idea. It's been proposed for several decades, originally it was to wipe out a large part of Bywater, But if well thought out it could possibly follows Behrman Avenue between the CCC and the river (looping around Federal City) cross the river at the industrial canal (land at the last small section of Rampart and run parallel to the Ind. Canal into France Road and then out to the east. This expressway could serve the port activity in the Industrial canal and tie in the uptown wharfs and container areas to the Canal. This could eliminate the need for the old 610 Claiborne overpass. And as stated above, the West bank expressway is an attractively designed roadway, every new elevated section of highway should be held to this type of design. Even if the Claiborne overpass is rebuilt, it could be build at a higher elevation than the current expressways in use to allow natural light to filter down into the dark areas of the overpass that mostly seem dangerous and uninviting to outsiders. Possible bike trails and or tram service could follow under these (and yes, contemporary designed trams, not the old streetcars (the old streetcars seem better fitted for historic areas that don’t have expressways running through them
I was thinking you would connect Woodland Highway in English Turn to Paris Road in Chalmette. Initially it would be just a bridge, but you could connect it to expressways later on.

I think this could easily be funded by tolls, especially from West Bank traffic diverted around the city. Tearing down I-10 would actually guarantee a steady stream of traffic on this bridge.

Bridge Plan
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...ccf7c4b2ebcb03

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
Thanks for the massive update, Tennis! I'm especially impressed by the overhaul of the eyesore parking structure on Carondelet, the new 4 story structure on Tchoupitoulas, and the synagogue conversion! Jackson Ave. comes alive! Now if only the abandoned hospital will be somehow retrieved from its Chernobyl-like state.
You welcome. I try to give you guys updates when I have some extra time.

Last edited by tennis1400; May 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:54 PM
TL;DR

This is not as nice as I was expecting. The Beef Jerky Outlet? Toby Keith's?

I don't really see any luxury brands here except:

Coach
Johnston & Murphy
Fossil
Kenneth Cole
Steve Madden
Elie Tahari

This is not even as good as the outlets in Gonzales. We should be getting something as good as the Orlando outlets.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:58 PM
-

Quote:
This is not as nice as I was expecting. The Beef Jerky Outlet? Toby Keith's?

I don't really see any luxury brands here except:

Coach
Johnston & Murphy
Fossil
Kenneth Cole
Steve Madden
Elie Tahari

This is not even as good as the outlets in Gonzales. We should be getting something as good as the Orlando outlets.
Last Call and Off 5th are nice ones. Future expansions will be able to add more. the way the mall was built meeant they could only do so much fashion in certain sections I think and then the food court is huge part too. Its not as good as I had hoped but I think its a start.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:02 PM
TL;DR

Isn't this basically just a repeat of the original failed Riverwalk formula, though? There's not enough fashion brands to actually draw locals or serious shoppers, so the mall customers will be largely tourists in the market for t-shirts and memorabilia. That means the few fashion retailers who are here will struggle because there's not enough critical mass. Meanwhile, it will be difficult to recruit new fashion tenants because of the tackiness of all the souvenir shops.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:13 PM
-

Quote:
Isn't this basically just a repeat of the original failed Riverwalk formula, though? There's not enough fashion brands to actually draw locals or serious shoppers, so the mall customers will be largely tourists in the market for t-shirts and memorabilia. That means the few fashion retailers who are here will struggle because there's not enough critical mass. Meanwhile, it will be difficult to recruit new fashion tenants because of the tackiness of all the souvenir shops.
I would have done it differently too. But I do think there are some nice shops in the list but definitely think the tacky tourist stuff should be completely avoided. Plus I dont know how difficult it was to lease so maybe this was the best they could do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations