HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 7:12 AM
bro

Cool 1915 London Insurance Map

Hello everyone. I've been browsing occasionally for the past year, but only recently did I decide to register and hopefully contribute to the London Area forums. It seems like this area is rather dead and there is a grand total of about 4 regular posters but whatever. Anyway, onto the actual thread.

A few months ago I found a late 1800s/early 1900s Fire Insurance Map of London. I'm not sure how interested everyone is in London's history, but I've spent a couple hours enjoying this very detailed map.

London Fire Insurance Map - 1915

Each large coloured section has a bold Key Number in the centre, clicking the corosponding number on the right will open up a zoomed in and very detailed map of that specific section.

It's really interesting to see all the old buildings that are no longer with us, but at the same time it kind of helps us appreciate all the historic buildings that have survived. Sure we've lost a lot of old structures to new development such as the old Talbot block/JLC, but we've also managed to keep a lot of old relics. Anywho, I hope you guys have as much fun as I have checking out Downtown, your neighbourhoods, and your old stomping grounds.

Here's a fun now-and-then example to wrap everything up nicely:

Of the original 60+ houses on Beal's two blocks, it seems like about 8 remain.

Have fun, y'all.

PS - Anyone been to London Burgers at the corner of Maitland and Dundas? Some delicious affordable burgs there.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 1:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

cool info (insurance and burgs)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 1:09 PM

Interesting how many street names have changed over the past 95 years. One part of Florence Street, for example, was called Campbell Street.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 12:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Parts of Gainsborough were called Sarnia Road.

And Anne-Marie was only deCicco, and not Best.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues