HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 8:44 AM

ebikes

I read the Spec article and I see these bikes more and more everyday. Not a bad idea,
But again the nit-pickin, or what I see is some aspects of society trying to make a buck or more important not lose revenue.
Short story many people can not afford a car (initial cost, insurance, registration, maintenance, GAS $$$$ and parking). But they still have to work and in many cases for minimum wage. Now to get there, we have buses but on a strict schedule and could take over an hr considering the route and transfers. Bus pass over $80 a month.
So voila the ebike, buy one for a thousand and get a good helmet throw in a raincaot and you have freedom and maybe defer buying a car or get rid of the second car. Especially for a job in the core, parking and upkeep.
So who is losing with no insurance, gas and registration and parking,
Who is winning no noise, exhaust, less traffic moderate speed rife to work to see your surroundings.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Leave this alone, it sounds like a great thing. They can feel safe on Lawrence coming from the east and with the bike path over the 403 from the west to Aberdeen.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm really interested in getting an eBike. Does anyone know a good place to get one?

I'll be going up and down the stairs so it has to be light so that I can push it up the stairs.

I tried commuting from home to McMaster but it's too difficult with the Escarpment and working up a sweat storm. Hopefully the eBike will greatly help. The Dundurn bike lane is a good new feature as well, take the Dundurn stairs, ride along Dundurn and turn west at King and ride along Westdale.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:14 PM
National Capital Region

Wal-Mart has one on sale for $888.. not sure of the quality
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wm-ec...icycle-915581/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'd be petrified if I had to ride something like that down along the Escarpment, especially Beckett Drive. Tiny road with cars blazing down.

I'm looking for something that looks more like a bicycle and light.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:05 AM
Needs more coffee...

Tsunami on King East (at Ferguson/King) has been selling them for years and probably knows their stuff the best. I believe there's also Silent Rider on James North though I don't know them at all.

This was a 2008 article in the Spec I read when it first came out: http://thespec.com/article/402337

I don't know where you get these ones, I was looking at it a couple years ago. but there's e-bikes that come with detachable li-ion charge packs so you can park the bike in a basement/lock it up and charge the battery pack inside - that's a good option to have.

This is a long way away, but someone I know knows these guys and vouches for them -- and I trust his opinion
http://www.sarniaebikes.com/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 10:30 AM
BANNED

Thumbs up Buy best ebike

Any electric bike users here? I was a long time road cyclists, a traditional one at that and now I have been converted! I bought a Stromer ST1x at www.quantumebikes.com and could not be more satisfied!

Any e bike fans here or have I fallen off a cliff?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 10:32 AM
BANNED

Thumbs down Favourite ebike brand and why

For me, it's Stromer. Bought mine in Montreal at www.quantumebikes.com and could not be more thrilled!

What about you?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 10:34 AM
BANNED

I personally have been using a Felt Totem, which I purchased at www.quantumebikes.com. I have had no trouble towing reasonable loads along the cycling path or even the road for that matter.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure