HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasi View Post
Certain parts of West Philly(like Spruce Hill) have always had decent housing. What I,ved always loved about the area between Spruce and Baltimore below 52nd St. Has been the abundance of large row houses, great for families.
I grew up on 48th & Baltimore in the 70s and early 80s and those house were really nice back then. Especially blocks like Hazel and Larchwood. Only if I had the foresight at age 5...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post
philatonian, just my two cents and experience when looking for housing. West Philly, and specifically University City has a view of being... well... University oriented which I think deters others from moving there and opt for North or South Philly instead. I don't believe many people want to move next to a frat house or something similar (not that I think that would be likely). With that said, with University City exploding with jobs in the past decade or two, I think that changes the dynamics of the area some.
As someone who almost JUST bought a home in Spruce Hill, this is a little misguided. The Penn Alexander catchment is arguably, at any given time, the hottest residential section of the city from a real estate standpoint. Houses from the mid 400s to the mid-700s are chewed up and off the market sometimes within HOURS of listing. The catchment fetches around a $100k premium for comparable houses...very very desirable.

In terms of families, walk down to Clark Park on a nice Saturday afternoon and you will see (not exaggerating) hundreds of kids and parents playing. That park, from a family standpoint, makes my Center City parks look modest.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I never really got why Passyunk Square and Northern Liberties boomed while I always thought West Philly was so much more aesthetically desirable, and really not hard to get to. I think projects like this will really prove its relevance. And any UCity/West Philly development is just making the city's core less of one bound by two rivers, and more of a city that straddles Schuylkill.
At one point in not so distant history I'm guessing that the cost of a new slate roof and a paint job on your run-of-the-mill Spruce Hill Queen Anne Victorian could be comparable to an entire row home in Passyunk Square.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 9:01 PM

Reminder:

Final design concept for LOVE Park will be released at 6pm this evening for public comment ... (although I'll be too preoccupied with Eagles draft coverage ... #dothedeal)!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 10:15 PM

Saving the saucer... Plan Philly posted these very quickly:

http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/...ucer-some-love

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:17 PM

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:50 PM

The Study Hotel at University City - 33rd and Chestnut

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:51 PM

Penn College House at Hill Square - 34th and Chestnut

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 12:01 AM

Dalian on the Park - 22nd and Pennsylvania Ave.
Second crane going up

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 12:03 AM

1924 Arch - 1900 Arch expansion

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 5:03 AM

I like it, I think it will flow nice with Dilworth Plaza. There is also more green then I thought, should be a decent size lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

Saving the saucer... Plan Philly posted these very quickly:

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 12:17 PM

Inga LOVES the new LOVE Park design:

A bold new vision for LOVE Park

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 2:41 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Any one know if the Welcome Center will be renovated as part of the Love Park design?

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Any one know if the Welcome Center will be renovated as part of the Love Park design?
From the two articles linked above:

Quote:
KieranTimberlake found the saucer – essentially a concrete umbrella – is structurally viable, and it turns out, nicely adaptable. But that’s not to say there isn’t major reconstructive surgery to be done.

Other than the structure, most aspects of the building have outlived their useful lifespans, said architect Richard Maimon, the partner at KieranTimberlake leading their work on this project.

The single-pane tinted windows will be replaced with more transparent and energy-efficient glazing. That, combined with new lighting, will help restore the saucer to its light and luminous past. The old roof will be replaced with a green roofing system. And the building’s largely original systems will be modernized as well. When it reopens the saucer will at last have an ADA accessible ramp and bathrooms that can be entered from the park. These upgrades will be selected to ensure affordable operating and maintenance costs, durability, and environmental sensitivity.

“What has diminished the building over the years are precisely the elements beyond their usable life, the glazing, finishes, railings, stairs and ramp. All those issues allow us to bring the building back to the kind of luster that was in the original architects’ idea of a pavilion open to the city,” Maimon said. “This allows us to really reimagine the building and reinvent it in a way in the spirit of the original conception.”

Quote:
The city has also fully committed to preserving the spaceship, now used as a visitor center. Designed by H2L2 in the late '50s and opened in 1964, it is a rare Philadelphia example of lighthearted midcentury design. But it has not been treated well.

Kieran Timberlake plans to reconstruct the building so it can be used as a cafe or wine bar. It will be fitted with new glass walls, a more elegant ramp, and handicapped-accessible restrooms. When it's finished in 2017, architect Richard Maiman envisions a terrace encircling the building. A perfect perch to admire a fine park design.
http://www.philly.com/philly/home/20...EdSyuJe0hO7.99

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:31 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Thank you!

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 4:57 PM

It seems like the entire city (or at least Center City) is under construction. I wonder if there's a shortage of equipment or if that's a consideration for when projects can get underway?

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Dranoff targets another RCA building

ALLISON STEELE, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
POSTED: Friday, May 1, 2015, 1:07 AM

Developer Carl Dranoff, who was responsible for transforming Camden's former RCA Victor factory into the city's first luxury apartment building, wants to make another RCA building his next project.

Dranoff's company has submitted a proposal to renovate the Camden School District's central office building on Front Street at Cooper Street, which is within two blocks of Dranoff's Victor Lofts building and the Radio Lofts building that Dranoff has long had plans to transform into a condominium complex.

Dranoff said he would consider using the building as office space for businesses and companies looking to move to or relocate within Camden. "Geographically, it makes sense," he said.
Full article at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne..._building.html

I wish he'd finish the Radio Lofts building, but, the universe doesn't seem to want that to happen. Here's a picture of the building he wants to redevelop, since there oddly isn't a picture of it in the article:

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:27 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Full article at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne..._building.html

I wish he'd finish the Radio Lofts building, but, the universe doesn't seem to want that to happen. Here's a picture of the building he wants to redevelop, since there oddly isn't a picture of it in the article:

Thanks for the pic!

This is great news! Dranoff can give yet another old building new life for generations to come. This is also another good project for Camden. I am very excited for the city and the attention it is finally starting to get.

I'd like to see some new development north of the bridge in the area of the former prison.

Considering all of the construction going on in Camden, I'm wondering if/when is the time to start a "Camden | General Developments Thread"?

I don't even know what that would look like, how to start it, or what would be the minimum amount it would take to keep it active.

Joseph, you seem to have your finger on the pulse of the city, what are your thoughts? Am I pipe dreaming here? Who knows, we may start to see some activity from Camden locals too.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 8:24 PM
Fishtown & Country

Old City; Arch between 2nd & 3rd, Friday, 5/1

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Thanks for the pic!

This is great news! Dranoff can give yet another old building new life for generations to come. This is also another good project for Camden. I am very excited for the city and the attention it is finally starting to get.

I'd like to see some new development north of the bridge in the area of the former prison.

Considering all of the construction going on in Camden, I'm wondering if/when is the time to start a "Camden | General Developments Thread"?

I don't even know what that would look like, how to start it, or what would be the minimum amount it would take to keep it active.

Joseph, you seem to have your finger on the pulse of the city, what are your thoughts? Am I pipe dreaming here? Who knows, we may start to see some activity from Camden locals too.
Rutgers Camden student here. There definitely is some action going on in Camden. With the news of all the different companies taking advantage of the GROW NJ tax breaks, there are a few lots that have already been spoken for. Work has already began on the 76ers practice facility. Rutgers is looking to construct a new nursing school building. Holtec just released very preliminary plans for what would be their waterfront headquarters. Campbell's is moving forward with their new campus, which includes constructing a corporate headquarters for Subaru. Interior renovations are being completed in a long abandoned 12 story building, to become a charter high school.

So the wheels of progress are definitely turning in Camden, albeit at a much slower pace than Philly. I'd say there is definitely enough news coming out of the city to support its own thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development