HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
I believe 350 Park is way out in the long term- Vornado have to focus their efforts on their Penn Plaza developments first.
Oh yay, can't wait to see what Vornado has cooked up for us this time

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 11:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah 350 Park we could be looking at 2027 to even begin that conversation. Its a long term play. But a lot in the meantime to stay busy with.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 11:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
I doubt 350 is cancelled, Tower fifth? Who knows.
But them going silent isn't an indication of cancellation and it's actually quite common as far as I can tell.
It's a long term play. We'll probally see much activity in the Penn Station district before we see activity with 350 Park. Look towards 2027 for a realistic time table. One of those in the long run parcels.

I believe it also has to do with the leases as well

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 11:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
I was thinking that it been a year since the last update on Tower Fifth and 350 Park Avenue but does that mean they’re cancelled?
Steve Roth last gave an update on 350 Park in May. Macklowe won’t move forward until he acquires the property he needs. In a city where it can take a decade or more to assemble a site, nothing is ever canceled just because you don’t hear about it all the time. Not everything that can be built will be built at the same time. There will always be development.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 10:09 PM
New Yorker for life

https://thepointsguy.com/news/stayin...or-demolition/

Nothing ‘Grand’ about it; What it’s like to stay at a hotel that’s set for demolition

Nov 12, 2021
Clint Henderson

Quote:
The no-longer-grand Hyatt is set to be demolished. You can tell.

You may remember this monster Midtown property formally known as the Grand Hyatt New York. It’s right next door to Grand Central Station — a 1980s icon brought to life by a then-young Donald Trump in his first major Manhattan real estate deal.

The glass facade by architects Gruzen Samton and Der Scutt became a city hot spot. Over the years, the first Hyatt property in New York has seen many highs, but in 2019 it was announced the massive hotel would be torn down to make way for a brand-new mixed-use development, including a new skyscraper and a brand-new Grand Hyatt at 175 Park Avenue. The 83-story tall hotel complex would also make massive improvements to access to Grand Central Station.

In fact, the hotel was shuttered early in the pandemic, and the plan was to keep it closed until demolition time.

Enter the City of New York.
Quote:
The City passed a law that ordered any hotel that shut down during the pandemic and laid off more than 75% of their workers to either reopen and rehire those workers or pay $500 a week to those employees for at least six months.

The property decided it was cheaper to reopen than to pay out all that severance. Unfortunately, that also means it rebranded as a more generic Hyatt. Of course, TPG had to find out what exactly that entailed from a guest point of view. A work trip to Manhattan a week after it reopened was the perfect opportunity to see what it’s like staying in a hotel not long for this earth.

It went about as well as you’d expect. There is, indeed, nothing “grand” about this hotel anymore.
Quote:
The Hyatt is in a great New York City location connecting to the beautiful Grand Central Station. I walked in the grand lobby off the 42nd Street entrance to check-in at 5:32 p.m. and there was a long line. There was no separate line for elites. I ended up waiting about 15 minutes.

A young man behind me in line told me that he’d just checked in, but when he got to the room and used his key card to enter, he found the belongings of a woman inside the room. Uh-oh.
Quote:
The man who finally checked me in was great. He had literally just been called back to work two days before after a long furlough.

He confirmed to me the hotel reopened only because of that new city law, and said the hotel is supposed to be demolished sometime next year, but he said there is some rumblings that the plans are not firm.

He said only half of the rooms were occupied at the moment — about 700 of the 1,298 rooms.

He also said once the hotel does close for good, the current employees will be offered a severance package, or they can take a partial severance and will be called back to the new hotel once construction is completed.
Quote:
There is no club at this property, no daily housekeeping, no room service and no real amenities except for the gym. The concierge is also part-time only.

Essentially, it’s no longer a full-service property.

The Hyatt feels like the half-empty hotel it is right now. Once you leave the lobby, it’s a bit like a ghost hotel with empty hallways and random boxes in spots lining the walls. It definitely felt like I was the only guest on my floor. I didn’t hear or see anyone else on the 20th floor during my stay.

….. On my final morning at checkout, the woman who helped told me she’d take the “destination fee” off the bill. We chatted a bit and she also said they weren’t sure when the demolition of the hotel would actually happen since the plans appear to be changing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 10:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

I vote for docking a weeks pay for every instance a writer says "Grand Central Station".

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I vote for docking a weeks pay for every instance a writer says "Grand Central Station".
It's not wrong; It's both a station and a terminal. It's a subway station for the 4-5-6 and 7 lines and a terminus for Metro North.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
"or they can take a partial severance and will be called back to the new hotel once construction is completed."
That's nice. The new one is sure to be a much better hotel, and will definitely be in a much grander building.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 11:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
It's not wrong; It's both a station and a terminal. It's a subway station for the 4-5-6 and 7 lines and a terminus for Metro North.
No man.

He clearly wasn't talking about the subway station. Come on with that. He clearly mistakenly referred to Grand Central Terminal as Grand Central Station just as clearly many people casually and wrongfully do. Most people don't give a shit but it's a pet peeve of mine and a journalist shouldn't be making the mistake.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 2:07 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's good to know. I've been to Grand Central more times than I can count and always referred to it as Grand Central Station and not Grand Central Terminal.

"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 2:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
"or they can take a partial severance and will be called back to the new hotel once construction is completed."
That's nice. The new one is sure to be a much better hotel, and will definitely be in a much grander building.
And better views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ That's good to know. I've been to Grand Central more times than I can count and always referred to it as Grand Central Station and not Grand Central Terminal.

Though technically a terminal, the current version replaces Grand Central Station, and Grand Central Depot before that. 9 out of 10 people will refer to it as station over terminal, effectively making that the name. But simply calling it Grand Central (like most) is sufficient.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 9:43 AM

Quote:
What's the punishment for missing apostrophes?

I'm with you on "terminal" but I do find it amusing how many times a pedantic criticism contains an error itself. I believe it's known as "Muphry's Law".

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 1:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF77 View Post
What's the punishment for missing apostrophes?

I'm with you on "terminal" but I do find it amusing how many times a pedantic criticism contains an error itself. I believe it's known as "Muphry's Law".
I assume that "Muphry's Law" was intended to be sarcastic. If so, that was quite good.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 2:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

Oooh sick burn. Anyways I blame my phone.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 2:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's actually true. When I intend to type it's or its, for example, my phone often completes it automatically, and it's not what I intended. Also, typing on a phone isn't easy. Lastly, I don't proof-read posts before submitting them, as I do for work.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I assume that "Muphry's Law" was intended to be sarcastic. If so, that was quite good.
It is actually called Muphry's Law - for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
That's actually true. When I intend to type it's or its, for example, my phone often completes it automatically, and it's not what I intended. Also, typing on a phone isn't easy. Lastly, I don't proof-read posts before submitting them, as I do for work.
It's a fair point.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
It wasn't meant as a burn - I've done it myself!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 2:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

proposed gct pershing square site

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF77 View Post
It is actually called Muphry's Law - for obvious reasons.
That's funny. I had never heard of that play on Murphy's Law. I thought that you were making it up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals