HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 4:30 AM
BANNED

To me it just looks like the back of something and to be honest it looks like a run down "something".

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 6:54 AM

FYI, from inside the tucker machine that runs the vig, little woody, crescent ballroom... The vig is happening at the old palette spot.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 5:24 AM

restaurants along thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Unfortunately many of those restaurants are breakfast/lunch only and not worth much to the neighborhood. (e.g. Fifth Ave Cafe, First Watch, Sacks) Maybe more residents would change that, but I doubt it.
My favorite nearby restaurants are Pino's, The Pink Spot, and Sack's. Pino's has the best lasagna I've ever had, but the owner only makes it once a week (or at least he used to). Their pizza is tasty too.

Last edited by Jimks; Feb 1, 2013 at 5:25 AM. Reason: missed a word

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I just got an email from my neighborhood list - it looks like The Vig is applying for a liquor licence at 4th Ave and Fillmore in the old Local Breeze house. They currently have a location at 40th St. and Indian School and one at 16th St. and Bethany Home.

Doesn't seem like enough space for a Vig, but it would be a cool addition. Their other locations have been packed each time I've visited.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexico View Post
the Vig on Indian School is always packed how is the one doing on 16th st? ive been there twice and have had fun but always wondering if it is as packed as the one Arcadia?
It gets packed too.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 6:13 AM

Just switched jobs to the Biltmore area. It's kind of depressing driving through- the area is so close, yet so far from being a lively, upscale urban neighborhood. Optima is gorgeous, but is feet away from low-slung office buildings and endless strip malls. Some of the newer developments, like Optima and the building directly on the corner of 24th and Camelback, have at least tried to be urban: being built up the street, mixing in retail, good height, etc. But for every one of those is a handful of projects that would work far better in Glbert.

Wish I could pick up the entire intersection and bring it to Central and Camelback and combine it with Midtown. The light rail at least makes Midtown respectable in connecting it with downtown and serving as a catalyst for future projects to be done with more urban standards than what was constructed prior.

The apartments on 26th and Camelback are finishing up... They look nice, but it's looking like the Camelback frontage is yet another miss. As far as I can tell, there's no retail, walk-ups and I'm not sure I can even see space for a lobby entrance?

Overall, I just wish there was a better vison for the area. Clearly, it's one of the only areas aside from Scottsdale where upscale, high-rise/mid-rise residential is successful and in demand, yet the built environment surrounding these projects is almost anti-pedestrian.

Will we ever see development of the corners of the Biltmore parking lots? Or, did that die along with the zoning debacles that went on with Trump? Well-done mixed-use towers at those intersections would go a long way in 'fixing' the area. Yet, all that seems to be constructed recently are low-rise developments (like the 26th street apartments and 22nd street office buildings that are almost done). If we are going to have an isolated district 'stealing' away employment from our core, I want to at least see some more high rises.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:07 PM
BANNED

The llantera came down today so I assume something is going to happen.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:13 PM

Which one?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out. BTW, there are some pictures posted on the Evans Churchill Facebook page of the demolition. Those buildings under the metal facade contained cool ghost signs and everything. How sweet would those fit in the Roosevelt Row area being all spruced up. Oh well, just another historic building failure in the city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 9:06 PM
BANNED

yeah I dont know about all that, but I am confused beause I thought AZ Republic reported that Circle K bowed out?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:09 PM

Cit of Phoenix City Council Meeting

Digital media at Phoenix Public Library (1:13)
Biomedical Corridor near Desert Ridge (10:06)
Terminal 3 modernization (20:40)

It shows conceptions of the new Terminal 3 at 30:30

At 14:25, they show a map of the Desert Ridge area, and they have Desert Ridge Market Place and City North swapped.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxER View Post

At 14:25, they show a map of the Desert Ridge area, and they have Desert Ridge Market Place and City North swapped.

Video Link
I wish that the focus for a BioMedical campus remained mostly downtown, but the plan could create an interesting urban hub in that area of the city. If only we could figure out a good way to link it to the downtown one, and try to create synergy between both. Being next to Mayo would definitely help ground some of the research being made into realities.

As for the airport, it looks like a really ambitious project. It would at least make our airport a little less hideous. Still ugly, but at least there will be some daylight coming into it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
yeah I dont know about all that, but I am confused beause I thought AZ Republic reported that Circle K bowed out?
Circle k bailed, but that doesn't mean VPs couldn't still demolish the buildings. They probably got their panties in a wad after circle k was shot down and rushed to demolish the buildings.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 7:18 PM
BANNED

This could suck.

FAA proposed maximum height limits could hamper developments in Arizona

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ht-limits.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 11:25 PM

Airport expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
I wish that the focus for a BioMedical campus remained mostly downtown, but the plan could create an interesting urban hub in that area of the city. If only we could figure out a good way to link it to the downtown one, and try to create synergy between both. Being next to Mayo would definitely help ground some of the research being made into realities.

As for the airport, it looks like a really ambitious project. It would at least make our airport a little less hideous. Still ugly, but at least there will be some daylight coming into it.
Can't believe that one Councilman thought his idea to run the sky train to the rental car facility was a new idea (his). Guess he never went to his own cities airport web site where they have been pretty clear about that from the start.
I actually thought it strange that the airport didn't do that phase first so that the majority of new travelers and tourist coming into Phoenix could take the Sky Train to the Rental Car Facility and have a much better impression of our city then jumping on that generic bus.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxER View Post

Video Link
So...This is talking about terminal modernization. It's going to be change. I always flying out at entire T3. This is where I work there before. I work outside security checkpoint. I work inside the Commissary Kitchen behind Sbarro & Dick Clark's. I think Sbarro & Dick Clark will be closed and I think they going to renovated the entire terminal 3. I wasn't sure why. Perhaps, ticket counter will relocated to second floor near TSA checkpoint as well. I wasn't sure if the FAA will have be approved. It's time to change.

Also, terminal 2 will be demolished. When the airlines will relocated to entire T3 as well. UA, AS will be in terminal 3. They need expanding more ticket counter and baggage claim as well. TSA will have backup more machines to be installed. They will have L3 Communications for screening of the checked bag. They need bring more than 3 or 4 L3 machines to be installed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:36 AM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
I actually thought it strange that the airport didn't do that phase first so that the majority of new travelers and tourist coming into Phoenix could take the Sky Train to the Rental Car Facility and have a much better impression of our city then jumping on that generic bus.
You were surprised that instead they chose the piece that connects to the light rail?!?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
You were surprised that instead they chose the piece that connects to the light rail?!?
That is exactly what i was thinking. I know that i will be using this once it opens. I currentlytake the light rail and then the airport bus when i fly in and out of sky harbor. The other direction might make sense for some tourists. But this one is a lot more useful for the majority of airport users. Not only us that use light rail, but also the many others that park in the east economy lot.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 12:33 PM
self-important urbanista

The connection to the rental car center is likely to be affected by construction at the west end of the airport: The demolition of Terminal 2 and the eventual construction of the new "West Terminal." Until the exact design of the new terminal is determined, it would be difficult to design a route for the Sky Train to follow to the rental car center.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
This could suck.

FAA proposed maximum height limits could hamper developments in Arizona

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ht-limits.html
The Miami compilation thread was going off about this. I guess they have numerous projects that are lined up In their DT that would be affected.

Seems extreme to me for the FAA to do this. As the article stated, it would also have an effect on existing buildings with rising insurance rates and declining property values.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 11:55 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
I wish I was shocked that the first question after the 3D rendering of the expanded T3 from a Council person was "will you be expanding parking!?"

Ug. Most of our council just doesn't get it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest