HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Incorrect post.

Last edited by SAN Man; Jan 24, 2022 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
That's where they filmed Star Wars scenes. It's a 2 hour drive from Mark Hamil's childhood home in San Diego. The city installed a sign marking the location.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/863565297272203539/
Its where they film most movies & shows that take place in deserts or on desert planets

However they filmed the first star wars movies (at least the scenes of Lukes family home) in Tunisia. Some other scenes were filmed in those dunes I think though.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Its where they film most movies & shows that take place in deserts or on desert planets

However they filmed the first star wars movies (at least the scenes of Lukes family home) in Tunisia. Some other scenes were filmed in those dunes I think though.
I edited my post because I read some sources that dispute it. Some say yes and I have always thought the original dune scenes were filmed from the imperial sand dunes, but other sources place those scenes in Arizona. So now, I'm not sure.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
I edited my post because I read some sources that dispute it. Some say yes and I have always thought the original dune scenes were filmed from the imperial sand dunes, but other sources place those scenes in Arizona. So now, I'm not sure.
There are no dunes of size in AZ so that can't be right. closest thing we have to dunes are pulverized pumice and ash from an Ancient Volcano near flagstaff called "the cinders". Up north the painted desert I think has some ancient dunes that are now solid rock.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
There are no dunes of size in AZ so that can't be right. closest thing we have to dunes are pulverized pumice and ash from an Ancient Volcano near flagstaff called "the cinders". Up north the painted desert I think has some ancient dunes that are now solid rock.
Welp here's another source that says yes, Star Wars was filmed there. Now I'm really confused. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algodones_Dunes

Quote:
Movie setting[edit]
The dunes were used to film parts of Road to Morocco, Flight of the Phoenix, Tobruk, Stargate, Resident Evil: Extinction and the Tatooine scenes in Return of the Jedi. John Ford made the 1934 version of The Lost Patrol (1934 film) here. Outside of movies, the dunes also appear in the opening sequence of the TV series Kung Fu, and were the filming location for the music video of Deftones' 2003 single Minerva.[13]

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Welp here's another source that says yes, Star Wars was filmed there. Now I'm really confused. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algodones_Dunes
Ah, the original Star Wars (A New Hope) had desert scenes filmed in Tunisia. You will recognize the name of this city.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Wow, that is amazing. Downtown SF was mostly sand dunes. Had no clue.

So during the Gold Rush era, SF was a transient town enveloped by dunes? Must have been surreal.
This is 1851, 2 years into the gold rush.

https://www.kqed.org/news/10398858/p...-san-francisco

These drawings are from 1848, a year BEFORE the gold rush when SF had 800 citizens:

Here is 1849 after the gold rush had begun

Image source: https://www.google.com/search?rls=en...rDtfdh54AlDuZM

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Those dunes are in California, Its literally just across the River from Yuma az but its in California

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 9:58 PM
Ex Houstonian

That above photo is really cool. The Apollo Storeship was buried in now downtown San Francisco and parts of it were dug up in the 1920s and they found coins from the 1700s and gold nuggets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_(storeship)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
They shot the desert scenes in multiple places - Tunisia, Imperial dunes, Death Valley.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
I wonder if the original statement was a reference to a specific dune ecosystem. They’re large enough to be at the top of a restricted category, but not overall.

Like tallest dry coastal dunes yada yada yada. Some fact that was notable enough to make a first impression but was misrepresented through repeated tellings.
It was a reference to a specific article that made the comment - Business Insider. I posted it a page back. I’m sure few people saw it as it was the end of the page.

Ok. So the article is wrong I should have posted that with the original post. The walking encyclopedias of the message board have spoken.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
It was a reference to a specific article that made the comment - Business Insider. I posted it a page back. I’m sure few people saw it as it was the end of the page.

Ok. So the article is wrong I should have posted that with the original post. The walking encyclopedias of the message board have spoken.
Still cool anyway, even if not the largest. The fact that the SF peninsula was a large dune system not that long ago was something that I did not know.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:37 AM
Dryer lint inspector

He who controls the spice controls the univ...the Bay Area.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
A buddy of mine has a vacation house super close to the actual dunes which inspired Frank Herbert to write the series--Oregon Dunes National Park. I've been out on a buggy there a few times, and lived to tell the tale, despite spilling several times.

Someone stated that downtown San Francisco was sand dunes, and that's not accurate. Much of today's downtown SF was underwater and later became landfill, while Nob, Telegraph, and Rincon hills have always been terra firma.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
…in the Western Hemisphere? There are a lot of Sand Dune ecosystems in North and South America, and many of them are pretty big. So this must have been huge!

Where San Francisco was built impressed me before I knew this, and I didn’t think I could get any more impressed.

If this is common knowledge, forgive me for being in a box.
I had no idea. Thats probably why that building is sinking.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That would be https://mortonbassett.com

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 9:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
they probably meant largest sand dunes area to be turned into a city.
Likely not that but rather before San Francisco was a clamoring tech center before it was the focal point of the radical universe, and before it became known for its lavish slopes, a large part of the area was canvassed in sand rises. These hills spread over seven miles, basically the whole width of advanced San Francisco.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:29 AM

Well I wouldn’t want to be living on top of that sand when an earthquake hit, especially if that’s true that downtown SF is built on landfill? I know at least the Marina District is landfill

Liquidfaction!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Well I wouldn’t want to be living on top of that sand when an earthquake hit, especially if that’s true that downtown SF is built on landfill? I know at least the Marina District is landfill

Liquidfaction!
It's unquestionably true and it's why most buildings, with the one egregious known exception, in the downtown have pilings to bedrock and why when large projects are constructed in that area foundation prep takes about half the total construction time and people on SSP ALWAYS start bitching about "why is it taking so long" before they start to rise above street level.

https://escweb.wr.usgs.gov/nsmp-data...ntation_s.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 12:03 AM
An Optimistic Realist

As a hilly city, I always was conflicted on whether that made SF more suspectable or defensive to earthquakes than the flatter cities on the east coast. Now learning that much of SF was originally sand dunes gets me thinking that this also contributed to the severity of the 1906 earthquake.

From those risks to sea level rise, San Francisco is probably not in a good position as natural disasters increase in the coming years. The situation is worse than for LA or SD. At least those cities have a good chuck of their land away from the ocean or another body of water ( ex. The Bay).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions