HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:12 PM

Looks like Southbridge 2 is officially dead. Sad day for Old Town Scottsdale.

https://www.scottsdale.org/city_news...b904a5db3.html

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:46 PM

Depends on one's perspective. Great day for Old Town Scottsdale in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutayo View Post

Well, not "officially". Sounds like the developer still has the option to move forward with a less higher/dense option.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Well, not "officially". Sounds like the developer still has the option to move forward with a less higher/dense option.
Maybe he'll engineer buildings that can be added to over time...

I suspect current conditions are going to wipe out most of those shops in old town anyhow.

I also suspect current conditions are going to lessen demand for office space as all the companies who survive are learning how to work with a remote workforce.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Maybe he'll engineer buildings that can be added to over time...

I suspect current conditions are going to wipe out most of those shops in old town anyhow.

I also suspect current conditions are going to lessen demand for office space as all the companies who survive are learning how to work with a remote workforce.
Agreed. And if he does move forward, won't he be knocking down the old shops anyway and just build something short and crappy instead? Do I have that correct?

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Mar 26, 2020 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutayo View Post

Seems like the current buildings are time limited either way. Now Scottsdale will get even more generic development. Not sure how 4 story apartments and a short hotel equates to successfully preserving the unique attributes that people travel to experience. Disappointing to me.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalzonie View Post
Seems like the current buildings are time limited either way. Now Scottsdale will get even more generic development. Not sure how 4 story apartments and a short hotel equates to successfully preserving the unique attributes that people travel to experience. Disappointing to me.
It'll just have to be a really LOOOOOOOONG hotel to make up for the loss of vertical space.

I think he's being smart - pull back now (not a good time to start anyhow) - and wait for all the shops to die out, then come back with similar proposal adjusted to new market conditions.

Really have to wonder if people would complain about a $750M investment in old town scottsdale after all the shops are empty...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:46 PM

Too bad. I liked that project a lot. Don't understand any of arguments against it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Really have to wonder if people would complain about a $750M investment in old town scottsdale after all the shops are empty...
Think about the fact that people fight to stop development where old buildings with character exist. The pink thing in Melrose and Circles are the most recent big fights I can remember. Old Town Scottsdale has as much character as those things, but suddenly everyone wants to demolish it. Can we agree that there are inconsistencies here regardless of whether you like the proposed development?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Think about the fact that people fight to stop development where old buildings with character exist. The pink thing in Melrose and Circles are the most recent big fights I can remember. Old Town Scottsdale has as much character as those things, but suddenly everyone wants to demolish it. Can we agree that there are inconsistencies here regardless of whether you like the proposed development?
The problem is they aren't stopping development where old buildings with character exist, just this particular project. The developer can still move forward and put something else on the land it owns, which IIRC, is partially vacant anyway. This argument was about losing the 'charm' or 'atmosphere' of Old Town Scottsdale rather than losing existing buildings. One of the Old Town PAC members was even quoted in the article: ' “Like we’ve said all along, we’re not against redevelopment; it’s just the height and the mass of the whole project,” Wilson said.' So again, nobody was fighting to have existing buildings saved as far as I can tell, just didn't want any new taller ones nearby.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 4:43 PM

Lets be real.... most of these shops wont survive the fall out from coronavirus anyways as most I can bet were hanging on by a thread as is. I was all for Southbridge 2 because that area of oldtown will be a ghost town at some point. Those same shop owners fighting to keep the charm will be moved off somewhere else and will eventually see redevelopment of the area. Its only a matter of time. Also lets not forget that the owners of southbridge now are the landlord to most of those shops... therefor if they cant pay rent, they're out anyways.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Lets be real.... most of these shops wont survive the fall out from coronavirus anyways as most I can bet were hanging on by a thread as is. I was all for Southbridge 2 because that area of oldtown will be a ghost town at some point. Those same shop owners fighting to keep the charm will be moved off somewhere else and will eventually see redevelopment of the area. Its only a matter of time.
Those shops are relics of old tourist trap crap anyway.

I hope they are eventually replaced with more modern shops, bars and restaurants.

But I still think Old Town should strive to keep the character of that area and South-bridge intended to destroy a lot of that, I dont think it was a good plan.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Those shops are relics of old tourist trap crap anyway.

I hope they are eventually replaced with more modern shops, bars and restaurants.

But I still think Old Town should strive to keep the character of that area and South-bridge intended to destroy a lot of that, I dont think it was a good plan.
South of indian school, yes. North towards the waterfront I think needs a facelift.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
The problem is they aren't stopping development where old buildings with character exist, just this particular project. The developer can still move forward and put something else on the land it owns, which IIRC, is partially vacant anyway. This argument was about losing the 'charm' or 'atmosphere' of Old Town Scottsdale rather than losing existing buildings. One of the Old Town PAC members was even quoted in the article: ' “Like we’ve said all along, we’re not against redevelopment; it’s just the height and the mass of the whole project,” Wilson said.' So again, nobody was fighting to have existing buildings saved as far as I can tell, just didn't want any new taller ones nearby.
I think you picked up about half of my point, probably my fault for not explaining better.

Imagine an apartment developer wants to raze a drive thru liquor store on 7th Avenue and the community goes nuts and stops it. This is called protecting the character and integrity of your neighborhood.

Now imagine a developer wants to raze blocks of a neighborhood full of quirks and charm and history so he can build generic buildings that could fit in any other big city and people go nuts. This is called protecting the character and integrity of the neighborhood.

I do not see it any differently if you boil it down to the main point which is "what's here has significance, we aren't okay with replacing it with more homogeneity."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
South of indian school, yes. North towards the waterfront I think needs a facelift.
Yes - absolutely.

The existing waterfront was fairly busy at lunch time full of people. If its just more of that down to 5th Ave, then what’s the problem?

But I do think that yes - eventually this will all be redeveloped sooner than later. The people fighting this are fighting it for all the wrong reasons.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
I think you picked up about half of my point, probably my fault for not explaining better.

Imagine an apartment developer wants to raze a drive thru liquor store on 7th Avenue and the community goes nuts and stops it. This is called protecting the character and integrity of your neighborhood.

Now imagine a developer wants to raze blocks of a neighborhood full of quirks and charm and history so he can build generic buildings that could fit in any other big city and people go nuts. This is called protecting the character and integrity of the neighborhood.

I do not see it any differently if you boil it down to the main point which is "what's here has significance, we aren't okay with replacing it with more homogeneity."
First off, I don't care one way or the other about this project. Frankly I think a lot of 'Old Town' nowadays is about as charming as the old pink drive thru liquor store on 7th Ave, but to each his own.

Secondly, the area in question isn't a neighborhood, it's a business district. So the 14,000+ people who signed the petition in favor of the referendum don't and can't live in or even near the proposed development. Additionally, it's not the whole of Old Town in question, but 10 acres along the canal. This is what what was reported back in 2019 on AZCentral:

"Carter Unger, president of Spring Creek Development, which is behind Southbridge II, told The Arizona Republic the referendum movement was frustrating as he is committed to transparency and working with business owners about their concerns.

"We went through the city council process, we did way more outreach than was required, we had overwhelming support. Now they’re attempting to usurp the way these processes work," he said. "The saddest part of all of it is they’re just going to hurt the merchants on Fifth Avenue."

Also:

'...A handful criticized the project as too tall and dense and said it would change the area's unique character and push out local businesses. Most supported the project, arguing that Scottsdale is no longer a sleepy town and that rejecting the project would stifle growth.'

I'm also guessing that a lot of those in opposition haven't even been to the old town area recently. However, just like the people who live in the suburbs of Phoenix assume downtown is still as dead as it was 15 years ago, the opposition also has an outdated picture of what Old Town is actually like now. I wouldn't be surprised if half of them were unaware that there are already 12-15 story midrises on the north side of the canal. Again, just guessing.

To me, redevelopment means knocking stuff down and putting something else there. If the Old Town PAC meant they only want rehabilitation or repurposing of existing structures then they sure haven't communicated that very well as far as I can tell. If that's what they really want then it seems that a push for historical designation of the properties in question would be something they should have done/be doing in addition to or instead of the referendum. As long as the developer stays within the Type I or Type II zoning already approved for that area of downtown, I don't think there is much anyone can do as things stand. The only reason it went to the council is because of the request to change the zoning to Type III. So if they want to 'build generic buildings that could fit in any other big city' they are within their rights to do so as long as it conforms to current zoning since it is their land after all.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what you're saying, but my point is that if those in opposition want what you say they want and feel the way you say they do, then they better start doing a better job of communicating that and take steps to protect what's there. Otherwise they will end up with some low density generic junk instead of what seems to be a fairly decent proposal.

Sorry for the long post and it isn't as succinct as I'd like, but I'm bored as hell after being almost totally inside for the last 7 days Stay healthy everyone!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 11:12 PM
Skyriser

This comes down to the nitty gritty of urban design.

The developer claims that the shops aren't making the rents they need to be. This is less small-scale retail, more uses that don't have the street-facing side they should. Hotels and apartments and office that don't need a street presence. It is hypothetically possible that a renewed gala of street-front uses could be possible here, but without having inspected the new designs, it's easy to assume not they're not proposing things like doors every 25 - 50'.

If I were a DT Scottsdale NIMBY, that would be my issue, but they foolishly focus on height rather than something that would wipe out the street presence that actually contributes to what remains of the urban vitality.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Depends on one's perspective. Great day for Old Town Scottsdale in my opinion.
I grew up just a few miles north of Camelback and Scottsdale Rd. Old Scottsdale died decades ago. "Old Scottsdale" was AJ Bayless, Goldwater's Department Store, and Joe Hunts all together at Fashion Square. The Kachina Theater at Scottsdale and 5th Ave. The Safari Hotel. Shell gas station at the northeast corner of Scottsdale and Camelback...Mags Ham Bun...The Pink Pony...Cocos...There is practically nothing left of "Old Scottsdale." Ok, Los Olivos is still there....but, Serena no longer works there. Does anyone remember the Old Corral? It was torn down to make room for the Scottsdale Civic Center.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 7:12 PM

I don't know if anyone has posted this but work has been ongoing with clearing out those single one story retail buildings on the east side of Scottsdale Road North of Palm. It's suppose to be another 4 story apartment complex and I think there will be live/work units fronting Scottsdale Rd. Not sure if the rendering has been posted.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I don't know if anyone has posted this but work has been ongoing with clearing out those single one story retail buildings on the east side of Scottsdale Road North of Palm. It's suppose to be another 4 story apartment complex and I think there will be live/work units fronting Scottsdale Rd. Not sure if the rendering has been posted.
Its for a 4 story garden product developed by Trammel Crow. Name to be "Alexan Scottsdale" Photos below.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest