HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:11 PM

from the Tribune:

Airport future discussed

The city of Portland and the Port of Portland are hosting an open house that is part of a three-year planning process on the future of Portland International Airport.

The planning process, called Airport Futures, will update the airport’s master plan and create a long-range development plan.

Officials at the open house also will talk about several large-scale projects under way at the airport, including the north runway extension and enhancements to the airport’s airplane de-icing system.

The open house will be 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the south end of the baggage claim area on the ground floor of the airport’s terminal, 7000 N.E. Airport Way.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:22 PM

I imagine it's only a matter of time/and planes before Horizon starts flying to Calgary.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 2:58 AM

Check this out:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 4:37 AM
zzzzzzzz

^ Cool. Nice find!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 3:04 AM

Any updates?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyjoe View Post
with all the new construction and renovations that have transformed the airport, d concourse is now kindof the ugly duckling, rather than an impressive entrance to a great airport and city. .
You're right...now concourse C is the best part of the airport, and the whole south lobby area next to it is gorgeous (as far as airports go ). I flew from there a couple weeks ago, and walked around a bit before my flight, and noticed the D concourse is undergoing big renovations. It was pretty dead-feeling when I walked through, but just b/c all the concession areas are being torn-up and replaced with new retailers. It seemed as though they are replicating some of the design of the C concourse. Should be nice, and I think it's almost done. Kind of amazing, a fairly new terminal from the 90's (D concourse) has already become outdated -- but PDX is an award-winning airport partly b/c they are so great about maintaning an inviting atmosphere.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 11:28 PM

Bike path opens near airport
Portland Business Journal

A new bike and pedestrian path which connects Portland International Airport and Marine Drive opened Friday.

The 12-foot-wide path, which is roughly half-a-mile long, connects to an existing path along Frontage Road, providing access to a regional network of trails. It is expected to be used by bike commuters who work at the airport and nearby businesses.

The airport is one of the first in the U.S. to offer bike and pedestrian access to the terminal building. Riders can also take their bikes to the airport on the TriMet MAX light-rail line.

The Port of Portland paid $800,000 for the new path. Construction began in September.
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...=et75&ana=e_du

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 5:31 PM

Construction takes off at PDX
A Hoffman airport project manager is right at home building the Port of Portland’s new headquarters, one of a half-dozen projects there in coming years
Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 06:00 AM PST Tuesday, December 18, 2007
BY LIBBY TUCKER

Derrick Beneville has spent seven of his 21 years with Hoffman Construction Co. building and tearing things down at Portland International Airport. The project manager helped build the airport’s MAX light-rail station and was part of a crew that demolished the old control tower to make way for Concourse C, which he also helped build.

“I’ve been with the company longer than I’ve been married to my wife,” Beneville jokes. “Working at the airport is like coming home.”

Now Beneville is overseeing Hoffman’s latest project at PDX, a second parking garage and office tower that the Port of Portland in 2010 will call home.

The port in April again called on long-time partner Hoffman, signing the company for the $247 million project without a competitive bidding process. When it’s finished, the 500-stall long-term parking garage and 194,000-square-foot port headquarters will sit a mere 30 feet east of the airport’s existing garage, nestled between its two four-story helix-shaped off-ramps.

“This job takes a lot of resources,” Steve Johnson, a port spokesman, said. “And it’s not just anybody who can do that.”

Planning for pedestrian and car traffic at the site, alone, took six months. But the first big challenge came last month when subcontractor Weitman Excavation of Tualatin started laying sewer and water lines to the site, trenching through a nearby parking lot while a car-washing business for rental companies stayed open.

The contractor squeezed a backhoe and a dump truck into a 40-foot space while newly scrubbed cars were directed around the digging and into the existing parking garage. The scene looked a lot like heavy construction equipment playing a real-life version of the old video game “Frogger.”

“And the fun has just begun,” Beneville said. The next step is building a new ramp for the rental cars before demolishing the old one.

The heavy work begins next week, though, when the crew begins driving 43 miles of steel pile into the sandy soil under PDX, which sits almost even with the Columbia River. Drilling will also make way for 300 geothermal wells that will heat and cool the port’s offices and help achieve a U.S. Green Building Council Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating.

De-watering pumps will work full-time sucking ground water from the site like a straw to keep the soil from filling in like quicksand.

Workers must also avoid hitting heating and electrical pipes running from the airport’s central energy station through the heart of the construction site.

And one huge factor is the Federal Aviation Administration control tower, which looms over the east end of the construction site and limits the height within which the contractor can work. A tower crane would block the FAA’s radar, which is used in bad weather and emergencies, so the contractor will get creative when work begins on the headquarters building in 2009.

Instead of a tower crane with a fixed boom, Hoffman will put a hydraulic crane on top of the newly built parking garage. The boom can be lowered when the tower needs to make radio contact.

But for now, the site isn’t much more than a dirt lot, and Beneville’s work is just getting started.

“For the first eight years with Hoffman, I moved around to six different places,” he said. “That’s why the port’s my home. My family is seven years in the same place. My daughter’s going to graduate high school here.”

<b>A host of work at PDX</b>

Hundreds of millions of dollars of construction at Portland International Airport will continue through the decade.

• The port last week wrapped up its PDX bicycle and pedestrian plan with the opening of a <b>$500,000</b> bike and pedestrian trail running a half-mile between Marine Drive and Northeast Frontage Road.

• Kodiak Pacific recently completed the second phase of the port’s Airport Way realignment for <b>$6.8 million.</b>

• The port last month awarded Hoffman Construction Co. a <b>$101.3 million</b> contract to install new baggage screening machines in 65,000 square feet of the airport terminal.

• Last month Hoffman started work on the <b>$247 million</b> second parking garage and Port of Portland headquarters.

• The port in 2008 will award a contract to add a lane in each direction to Airport Way from the airport to 82nd Avenue.

• The port will expand its de-icing system.

• In January the port will begin an airfield study for the possible extension of its north runway.
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...ing-the-Port-o

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 4:27 PM

Portland Airport Named Western Federal Airport Of 2007

PORTLAND - The Transportation Security Administration has named Portland International Airport as the agency's Western Area Airport of the Year.

The award recognizes the airport that exhibits exceptional courtesy and attentiveness to all passengers and customers while offering the highest quality of airport security.

Oregon Federal Security Director Mike Irwin says together, PDX and TSA have established a record of customer confidence and satisfaction through their proactive and vigilant efforts.

As more than 14 million travelers pass through PDX this coming year, one thing they will notice is the recently renovated passenger checkpoints.

Also, PDX has partnered with TSA to improve security through an agreement to add $1.2 million worth of TSA-funded closed circuit TV cameras and equipment.

12/31/2007

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 5:51 PM

I'm sure some of you have heard already that Mexicana Airlines will be cutting both of their flight from PDX effective September. Let us hope that Lufthansa isn't next!

Link to story: http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...360.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
I'm sure some of you have heard already that Mexicana Airlines will be cutting both of their flight from PDX effective September. Let us hope that Lufthansa isn't next!

Link to story: http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...360.xml&coll=7

I am really keeping my fingers crossed for Lufthansa, but they are definitely starting service to Seattle and their numbers for May were down 10% according to the stats just posted on the airport website. So NWA Amsterdam flight is REALLY cutting into business. We will see. They have done quite will here, but I thought the same of Mexicana so wait and see I guess.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 7:17 AM

There are some new renderings of the new parking garage and Port HQs on the ZGF website. If someone wants to post them that would be great!
www.zgf.com

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 6:49 PM

Here you go:

http://www.zgf.com/

Last edited by PacificNW; Aug 7, 2008 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 4:38 AM

Thanks -- very cool! I love that sweeping facade - this will really make for a visually stimulating approach to the airport.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 5:11 AM

Thanks for posting those PacNW

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 8:24 PM

Perhaps a mod could change the title of this thread. The discusion no longer is about an award the airport got but is about the airport itself.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 3:31 AM
A before E

man, I really love Portland's airport.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:43 AM

i flew down to san jose this weekend. portland's airport is a million times better.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 12:48 AM

pic I found on flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/vector1771/

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 9:24 AM
BANNED

What is the situation of The new PDX Headquarter and P2 parking garage underconstruction?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure