HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:18 PM
Aspiring.

FWIW the Met patio, while not as high or large is much nicer with better ambiance and IMO a cool big city feel.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
FWIW the Met patio, while not as high or large is much nicer with better ambiance and IMO a cool big city feel.
I've never bothered to visit their patio but with that endorsement I'll check it out this summer.

BTW now that we know Richardson's involvement in TNS, does it have any impact on their plans to build a research/product development/whatever it was facility at Lombard Place?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:21 PM

Reading McNeill's article, this is sounding more and more like two separate but complementary developments... Longboat east of Carlton, Northlands west of Carlton. Is Richardson involved in both projects?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:22 PM

^That's what it seems like Esquire. Only connection between the two is the skywalk. Don't look the same, different developers. Maybe Northland wanted the hotel to be stand alone.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:30 PM

So honest question, but where do the office tenants come for this place? Is this to meet pent-up demand or is it a play to just get tenants from elsewhere? I dont really have a grasp on the office situation in Wpg.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:31 PM

Seems to make sense, the residential component will be managed and owned by Sutton Place Hotels, a good fit, a hotelier, with 275 rooms going up next to 130 res. units as per the article..

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good point. Damn... that was my favourite rooftop patio. How can this not be a death blow given that the currently sun-splashed Tavern patio will soon be in a perpetual shadow? Maybe at the very least they can knock down their prices a bit to encourage people to drop by.

Oh well, I am willing to accept this collateral damage.
Canad Inns is very poorly run anyways. Their food is awful at all of their establishments and they have yet to take any cues to improve this.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
So honest question, but where do the office tenants come for this place? Is this to meet pent-up demand or is it a play to just get tenants from elsewhere? I dont really have a grasp on the office situation in Wpg.
They're relocating from elsewhere. There is not pent up demand.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:40 PM

CJOB article says tower two, the residential along Graham, will open in 2019.

http://www.cjob.com/2016/02/24/true-...ally-unveiled/

Tower 2

Tower Two will be, in Ludlow’s words “a 24 storey architectural icon” at the northwest corner of Graham and Carlton.

It will feature 200,000 square feet of plaza, a second floor restaurant and retail space, boutique offices, and top floor residences with exclusive roof top amenities. It is scheduled for completion in early 2019.

From a CBC article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ment-1.3460488

The anchor office complex, a 17-storey tower at 242 Hargrave, will be completed by summer 2018, True North officials say.

The second tower will be 24 storeys and contain office space, boutique retail space and residential units.

What is boutique retail space. Is this a mall? What is boutique office space? Both articles outline different boutique items, one is an error I would assume.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
CJOB article says tower two, the residential along Graham, will open in 2019.

http://www.cjob.com/2016/02/24/true-...ally-unveiled/

Tower 2

Tower Two will be, in Ludlow’s words “a 24 storey architectural icon” at the northwest corner of Graham and Carlton.

It will feature 200,000 square feet of plaza, a second floor restaurant and retail space, boutique offices, and top floor residences with exclusive roof top amenities. It is scheduled for completion in early 2019.

From a CBC article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ment-1.3460488

The anchor office complex, a 17-storey tower at 242 Hargrave, will be completed by summer 2018, True North officials say.

The second tower will be 24 storeys and contain office space, boutique retail space and residential units.

What is boutique retail space. Is this a mall? What is boutique office space? Both articles outline different boutique items, one is an error I would assume.
If tower 1 is summer 18 and tower 2 is less than a year later, wouldn't they be under construction at the same time?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:51 PM

So some fancy penthouse type condos in Tower 2? I guess we know where Mr Thomson will stay when he's in town. ;-)

As far as the patio, wouldnt the sun shine on it most of the day? TNS is south of it, correct? Or am I just very confused.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:58 PM

Condos

Love the project. My only complaint is the hotel and condos are in two towers. The cool part of living in a hotel condo is having quick access to all the hotel amenities,, so separate towers is what is also at Alt Hotel/Glass house. As a condo buyer I don't even want to live below the 10th floor,, so having condos start on the 2nd floor is a waste,, no views and lots of road noise. WTF does Glass House have condos on the 2nd floor over looking a back lane? I assume this building will also have 2nd or 3rd floor condos over looking a back lane. At the very least the first 5 floors should be a parking structure.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
If tower 1 is summer 18 and tower 2 is less than a year later, wouldn't they be under construction at the same time?
Yes they would be under construction at the same time.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Love the project. My only complaint is the hotel and condos are in two towers. The cool part of living in a hotel condo is having quick access to all the hotel amenities,, so separate towers is what is also at Alt Hotel/Glass house. As a condo buyer I don't even want to live below the 10th floor,, so having condos start on the 2nd floor is a waste,, no views and lots of road noise. WTF does Glass House have condos on the 2nd floor over looking a back lane? I assume this building will also have 2nd floor condos over looking a back lane. At the very least the first 5 floors should be a parking structure.
The hotel and condo towers share a podium.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
So some fancy penthouse type condos in Tower 2? I guess we know where Mr Thomson will stay when he's in town. ;-)

As far as the patio, wouldnt the sun shine on it most of the day? TNS is south of it, correct? Or am I just very confused.
The Sun generally shines from the south. During the summer, it is a lot higher in the sky than the winter. So could peer over top of the new tower. I'm not a shade engineer, if there is such a thing.

In the evening when the Sun is in the west, it could be coming around the end of the building.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Love the project. My only complaint is the hotel and condos are in two towers. The cool part of living in a hotel condo is having quick access to all the hotel amenities,, so separate towers is what is also at Alt Hotel/Glass house. As a condo buyer I don't even want to live below the 10th floor,, so having condos start on the 2nd floor is a waste,, no views and lots of road noise. WTF does Glass House have condos on the 2nd floor over looking a back lane? I assume this building will also have 2nd or 3rd floor condos over looking a back lane. At the very least the first 5 floors should be a parking structure.
I take your point re: the relative undesirability of low suites. Glasshouse's low floors overlooking the backlane are not ideal to say the least, but tower 2 will be far better given that there will be a retail and office space at the base with condos above that. Based on the description the condos would probably be at the lowest, 5th floor. No backlane views either, just Graham Ave/Powerhouse to the north, and the TNS courtyard to the south.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:22 PM

To be clear, there are two condo towers.

One condo/residential is tower 2 along Graham. There is a second condo tower is with the hotel, adjacent to St. Mary across from the convention centre.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:23 PM

^ The Sutton Place condo won't have 2nd floor suites overlooking a backlane by the looks of things... the podium guarantees condos will be at least a few floors above all that. And with the lowrise buildings on Edmonton chances are nobody will be staring at a brick wall from their fancy condo unit.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:26 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The people I spoke with this morning seemed to imply this was how it was going to look. Not sure what kind of magic they are proposing then.
Yeah. I've looked into it. It's true. They have some fancy energy systems. This is not a cheap building. Pretty amazing it could be supported by market rates. My guess is much of that glass is spandrel, but it's still amazing. I didn't think that would happen. Good news.

Is ray wan the architect of the hotel?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:28 PM
surely you agree with me

Dividing the hotel and the condo allows them to proceed with the hotel in case the other doesn't sell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan