HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 5:56 PM

why not just add a few floors to it ?
whether it be modern or replicated

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That building should be preserved.

Best option would be an addition across the street on the lot next to the Dominion Building.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:44 PM
Fizzix geek

Yeah the existing buildings should be preserved. They are some of the nicer downtown heritage buildings!

Apparently the issue is that someone (likely the Sobeys) want to donate a huge pile of art, but will only do so if it can go on permanent display, and there is no where near enough room in the existing gallery (by a long shot). The rumours are that there are private donors willing to pony up money towards this. No idea who obviously but one can imagine the Fountains etc being into this.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Yeah the existing buildings should be preserved. They are some of the nicer downtown heritage buildings!

Apparently the issue is that someone (likely the Sobeys) want to donate a huge pile of art, but will only do so if it can go on permanent display, and there is no where near enough room in the existing gallery (by a long shot). The rumours are that there are private donors willing to pony up money towards this. No idea who obviously but one can imagine the Fountains etc being into this.
Oh no, more branding; the 'Nova Scotia Sobeys Museum'; the 'Fountain Fountain'; where will it end? I like the current building. Just build a satellite building at Dal or SMU, they've got land.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That building should be preserved.

Best option would be an addition across the street on the lot next to the Dominion Building.
I like that option the most. The old buildings are beautiful and some of the best historic buildings in the city. Having the AGNS in them ensures they will remain in good condition. The site next door would be perfect for a modern gallery. Something that could match the scale of the buildings around, but would be very modern. It could be connected underneath Bedford Row.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 11:09 PM
Fizzix geek

good idea

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 6:24 PM

Barrington Street apartment building (photos by me).

(note the stellar security)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 3:58 PM

Are there any renderings for this apartment? I have no idea what is planned for that site. Or does anyone know how many units or floors are intended? All I have seen on it are some photos some of you have posted and the occasional reference to it, but no details. Just curious if someone could fill us in?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 5:01 PM

I'm pretty sure this is the ugly 4 story condo place that was called "The barrington" With what looked like no ground floor retail and it was an ugly brown color. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:08 PM

Perhaps someone may have posted this already. The Credit Union on Octerloney St. in Dartmouth is getting a full face lift & reno, with 2 floors of height added. I've seen some elevations. It does not appear it will be an architectural marvel, but it will add a moderate amount of height & the finishes on it appear to be fairly good as well - appears to be aluminum panels for most of it, with stone tile at street level.

I love this area of Dartmouth. I think it is great that it is getting updated a little bit. I really like what Louis Lawen did with Greenvale as well. I really hope that someone does something with the old NSP site next to the Credit union. It will also be interesting to see what kind of development happens in the properties surrounding Greenvale. I really hope that they don't impact on Greenvale too much, because that is a really attractive development.

Last edited by Northend Guy; Jan 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:19 PM

If you have access to those elevations Northend Guy please post them. I always see so much potential in that area. I'm so glad to hear that they are renovating the credit union. It's such an ugly little thing with its big plastic columns. I'd also like to see a small apartment or condo building go up on the lot on the corner of Victoria and Ochterloney where they just tore down Fergusons Auto Shop. I'm thinking something around 6 stories.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
If you have access to those elevations Northend Guy please post them.
Sorry, don't have them in a postable format.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 5:04 PM

Quote:
If you have access to those elevations Northend Guy please post them. I always see so much potential in that area. I'm so glad to hear that they are renovating the credit union. It's such an ugly little thing with its big plastic columns. I'd also like to see a small apartment or condo building go up on the lot on the corner of Victoria and Ochterloney where they just tore down Fergusons Auto Shop. I'm thinking something around 6 stories.
The last rumour was high end condos for the ferguson's lot.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 10:59 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Hopefully by high end you mean "height".

Hopefully nothing less than 7-8 stories or higher go in these current Dartmouth holes.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I find this part of Ochterloney St. pretty disappointing. Far too many former single-family houses now converted into grubby-looking offices and the like, all of them unremarkable wood-frame structures. A good part of it would benefit from razing and replacement with properly designed developments.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Hopefully by high end you mean "height".

Hopefully nothing less than 7-8 stories or higher go in these current Dartmouth holes.
Beyeas on 10/06 stated the following: "an "ambitious" circa $10M multi-residential with as many as 60 units in a 5-6 story structure (according to AllNS)."

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I find this part of Ochterloney St. pretty disappointing. Far too many former single-family houses now converted into grubby-looking offices and the like, all of them unremarkable wood-frame structures. A good part of it would benefit from razing and replacement with properly designed developments.
Can't say that I agree. I like the mix in this area. The houses that have been made into offices have been done well. The remaining houses, that house people, would benefit from exterior reno.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I would disagree as well. Yes, there are some that are horrible looking, but more are in good condition. The ones that front onto Ochterloney are quite nice in my opinion and ad a nice character and charm to the area.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:16 PM

New mosque shining light on green construction
Centre offers natural illumination
By DAVENE JEFFREY Staff Reporter
Thu, Jan 27 - 4:54 AM

Quote:
Natural light streamed into the large prayer room of what will soon be west-end Halifax’s first mosque on Wednesday afternoon.

Slated to open in May, the 25,000-square-foot structure boasts a brick exterior with many green features.

"The best way to save energy is not to use it," said project manager Peter Scott.

The Ummah Mosque and Community Centre on Chebucto Road relies heavily on natural light from its many floor-to-ceiling windows.

And the energy required to heat and cool the structure comes straight from the earth. Ten 150-metre geothermal wells have been drilled outside. Scott expects the wells will pay for themselves in less than a decade.

Construction has taken nearly three years, about a year and a half longer than first projected. And the faithful Muslims are anxious to get in.

"The community has been waiting for more than a decade," said Hadi Salah, chairman of the fundraising committee.

Originally expected to cost $6 million, the final bill will be closer to $6.6 million.

"The prices of labour and materials have gone up since 2007," said Salah.

The group has been building as the cash and pledges have come in.

Wednesday afternoon, workers were busy installing drywall framing in the large prayer room that comprises most of the third floor and will be able to accommodate up to 730 worshippers. At one end, the ceiling opens up to the dome near the east end of the building. Once finished, the dome will feature a large glass chandelier, Scott said.

The room is surrounded by windows on three sides and the front of the room is oriented toward the east and Mecca.

A temporary electrical connection is powering the building, but hopefully next week Nova Scotia Power will hook up a permanent supply, Scott said. The building is now filled with a loud drone from propane heaters.

Much of the building is meant to serve as a community centre and will be open to the public.

"The facility will have an independent management," Salah said. "Those details are being worked out now."

There are three meeting rooms and a library.

In the basement is a 6,500-square-foot gymnasium with a stage, changing rooms, washrooms and kitchen facilities.

"The building is meant to be very welcoming," Salah said. "When we open it, it will be a multifaith celebration."

His group is talking with Saint Mary’s University about hosting a multifaith conference.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 12:47 AM

From today :

the dismantling DQ:

New pet store going to the right of fathers mustache:

New place going into bishops landing called the bicycle thief, aha:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth