HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:24 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
We spend enough of highways in Texas. That would require a tremendous amount of money to comply with interstate requirements and would bring more traffic to the metro. I can't think of a worse idea.
Oh, geez...

HWY-71 will never be an interstate. However, it will grow into a freeway (as it has over the past 10 or so years - west of the airport). The "freeway" portion will continue to move east over the coming decades.

A highway (freeway) does not "bring more traffic into the metro." It allows the traffic already here (and passing through) to move around more effectively.

Jobs bring in new residents. New residents bring their modes of transportation with them. And, the roads need to continue to try and stay ahead of the growth by expanding. Also, more options for public transportation are required - and that's coming. If you don't meet said demands for appropriate load factors - more and more roads in Austin will wind up like I-35.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:31 PM
Voice of the Modern World

They chose Huntsville, AL as the location for Space Command Headquarters. So it won’t be going to San Antonio after all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichola...ville-alabama/

It was a great decision. Huntsville has a massive aerospace industry and just about every aerospace company has an outpost there. It also has a NASA facility. I’m happy they didn’t choose Colorado Springs. Arrogant Colorado residents thought they had it in the bag.

Last edited by N90; Jan 13, 2021 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
They chose Huntsville, AL as the location for Space Command Headquarters. So it won’t be going to San Antonio after all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichola...ville-alabama/

It was a great decision. Huntsville has a massive aerospace industry and just about every aerospace company has an outpost there. It also has a NASA facility. I’m happy they didn’t choose Colorado Springs. Arrogant Colorado residents thought they had it in the bag.
smart

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
A highway (freeway) does not "bring more traffic into the metro." It allows the traffic already here (and passing through) to move around more effectively.
why not both? read about induced demand. we don't need to shell out any more money for highways. fund public transit and housing development along those corridors. that's it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:47 PM

I'm definitely a transit advocate, but induced demand just seems like circular reasoning. It's an argument for never increasing capacity anywhere for anything -- if by definition any increase is just going to encourage more use.

Austin especially is in a situation where we need a lot more of everything -- transit and highways both -- to deal with the growth we're getting and going to get.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Oh, geez...

HWY-71 will never be an interstate. However, it will grow into a freeway (as it has over the past 10 or so years - west of the airport). The "freeway" portion will continue to move east over the coming decades.

Jobs bring in new residents. New residents bring their modes of transportation with them. And, the roads need to continue to try and stay ahead of the growth by expanding. Also, more options for public transportation are required - and that's coming. If you don't meet said demands for appropriate load factors - more and more roads in Austin will wind up like I-35.

What are you talking about? The designation of the entirety of 71 into an interstate doesn't have to do with Austin area. It's everywhere else that it's out of compliance. Encouraging more traffic to drive through our metro (which is what an interstate designation would do) does not help the Austin economy.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
why not both? read about induced demand. we don't need to shell out any more money for highways. fund public transit and housing development along those corridors. that's it.
Can say the same thing about public transit. We need everything.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Can say the same thing about public transit. We need everything.
uhh no you can't. we don't have nearly enough, but ok.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I'm definitely a transit advocate, but induced demand just seems like circular reasoning. It's an argument for never increasing capacity anywhere for anything -- if by definition any increase is just going to encourage more use.

Austin especially is in a situation where we need a lot more of everything -- transit and highways both -- to deal with the growth we're getting and going to get.
Exactly. I have a hard time believing that added capacity is a bad thing in any mode of transit. Traffic times aren't the important metric, it's human capacity. We need more transit yesterday and more highways last week.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:32 AM
Love Austin

And so we don't mix it up with Boston. Y'all remember this

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 4:24 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
smart
Unfortunately the arrogant Coloradoans don’t think so. They’re pouting and whining about the selection of Huntsville.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...uarters-459066

It would behoove them to visit Huntsville. Space industry is deeply embedded in their DNA. They have major engineering offices for space companies that I didn’t even realize existed. They’re absolutely a worthy choice.

FWIW, I wanted SA to get it but I’m happy with this selection because they chose the right place. They choose talent and infrastructure with this selection.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 10:26 PM

Digital Realty just announced that they are moving their HQ from San Francisco to Austin. They are a $3.2 Billion company.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...to-austin.html

Company website:
https://www.digitalrealty.com/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:50 PM

Seems some developers are being attracted to the SE Austin/ABIA area by the Tesla development. This 700,000 sq/ft facility is going in adjacent to my property near the F1 track:

http://rew-online.com/eyzenberg-co-a...h-hub-venture/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:13 PM

Michael Dell says more tech companies will be moving to Texas

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...e-15874077.php

"Q: More companies and high-profile individuals are relocating from California and Silicon Valley to Texas. We’ve had HPE set up shop in Houston. Oracle’s moving to Austin. Elon Musk is now living in Texas. Some of these companies are competitors of yours. What do you see happening here? Is this the beginning of a bigger migration?

A: For as long as people have been around people have moved from one place to another to seek greater opportunity or a better life. I think Texas has always been a great place and particularly a great place to grow a business.

A number of these leaders have called and asked me, “Hey, I hear how great Texas is for business. Is it really true?” And I tell them it is. We do business all over the world. Texas is our home and our headquarters and it’s where I was born, over there in Houston.

It’s a friendly place for business. And I think that’s attracted more and more businesses over time. Based on conversations that I’ve had, I would not be surprised if there are quite a few more leading global companies that move to Texas in 2021."

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:17 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/t...X2TjpSJwGEwX9E

"But where? The No. 1 pick for people leaving San Francisco is Austin, Texas, with other winners including Seattle, New York and Chicago, according to moveBuddha, a site that compiles data on moving."

"Austin, population one million and the Texas city most would say is closest in spirit to the Bay Area, has long had a healthy tech industry. The computer giant Dell is based nearby. The University of Texas is one of the top public colleges in the country. And the music scene is eclectic and creative.

Now the local tech industry is rapidly expanding. Apple is opening a $1 billion, 133-acre campus. Alphabet, Amazon and Facebook have all either expanded their footprints in Austin or have plans to. Elon Musk, the Tesla founder and one of the two richest men in the world, said he had moved to Texas. Start-up investor money is arriving, too: The investors at 8VC and Breyer Capital opened Austin offices last year.

Some of the favorite gurus of tech workers are already there, like Tim Ferriss, life-hacker, who left for Austin in 2017, and Ryan Holiday, whose writing about stoicism is influential among the start-up set.

Sahin Boydas, the founder of a remote-work start-up who had lived in San Francisco and its suburbs over the last decade, saw all of that. He looked at his wife and two young children, working and learning from home while crammed into a Cupertino rental that had seen better days. Much of the late summer, the air was full of smoke from wildfires. For days, electricity would go in and out at his house.

“You start to feel stupid,” said Mr. Boydas, who is 37. “I can understand the 1 percent rich people, the very top investors and entrepreneurs, they can be happy there.”

So he and his family moved to Austin. For the same price as their three-bedroom apartment in Cupertino, they have a five-bedroom home on an acre of land. For the first time, Mr. Boydas has outdoor space. He just acquired two rabbits for his children. Sure, it’s (very) hot, but he’s ready for it.

“We’re going to get a cat and a dog,” he said. “We could never do that before.”

And it’s not just the cost of rent that is lower — the water bill is lower; the trash bill is lower; the cost of a family dinner at a restaurant has fallen significantly. Mr. Boydas said he hadn’t even known about the taxes."

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:54 AM
クラブトクヨ

I mean should we be surprised?
Austin poised to be nations hottest housing market of 2021
https://www.zillow.com/research/zill...ts-2021-28667/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:47 PM

Where to invest in real estate: The 10 hottest tech meccas beyond Silicon Valley

https://fortune.com/2021/01/21/where...-philadelphia/

LANCE LAMBERT
January 21, 2021 5:50 AM CST

"It's no secret that Austin is a growing tech hub. But what gets missed is just how fast it's growing, even among other tech markets. From 2016 to 2019, the number of tech jobs in Austin soared 32%, according to Fortune’s analysis of U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data. When you combine the proliferation of tech jobs in Austin with its $420,000 median home price tag—a discount, compared to Silicon Valley—and the fact it has no state income tax or capital gains tax (big selling points for tech workers accumulating pre-IPO equity) you can see why it came in at No. 1 on our list."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:49 PM

Samsung Considers $10 Billion Texas Chipmaking Plant, Sources Say

Quote:
By Sohee Kim and Ian King
January 22, 2021

Samsung Electronics Co. is considering spending more than $10 billion building its most advanced logic chipmaking plant in the U.S., a major investment it hopes will win more American clients and help it catch up with industry leader Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.

The world’s largest memory chip and smartphone maker is in discussions to locate a facility in Austin, Texas, capable of fabricating chips as advanced as 3 nanometers in the future, people familiar with the matter said. Plans are preliminary and subject to change but for now the aim is to kick off construction this year, install major equipment from 2022, then begin operations as early as 2023, they said. While the investment amount could fluctuate, Samsung’s plans would mean upwards of $10 billion to bankroll the project, one of the people said.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...ipmaking-plant

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

Nice. That would explain their recent land purchase and their City filings to plat it.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

Wow! Awesome news.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin