HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaResident View Post
Actually the railway was already decommissioned for years.
Not really. It was just over 2 years between the last train and the start of mainline track removal. Some sidings were removed less than a year after the last train. A blink of an eye compared to most railway abandonments.

I think CN really gave Kelowna a dirty deal. Its like they couldn't abandon that line fast enough. I think it was only fair they should have had a ceremonial 'last train', but they didn't.

Kelowna is the largest city in Canada without a railway. It is also the largest city in Canada without a freeway too. But lets build a 46 storey tower for rich people!

Last edited by jimmyboy95; Jan 29, 2021 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:24 AM

Those are some depressing facts and it shows just how much of an afterthought the Okanagan is.

I would argue that even Nanaimo and Kamloops both have better highway networks than Kelowna despite being half the size.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Those are some depressing facts and it shows just how much of an afterthought the Okanagan is.

I would argue that even Nanaimo and Kamloops both have better highway networks than Kelowna despite being half the size.
I don’t even think there’s an argument to be had there. It’s true!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:50 PM

I would agree about Kamloops having a better hwy system, but that's mainly due to it having 2 major hwy interchanges. City is smaller, but hwy is much busier. If Kamloops didn't have the by-pass going up the hill, it would be a parking for the majority of the day.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:56 PM

One72 Concrete posted an Instagram story of the pouring of the Soho foundation. I'm excited for Rutland in general, lots of potential for it to become a great example of a medium density neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 7:20 PM

41 Storey tower proposed downtown Kelowna on St Paul where FSH is located.
http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...0St%201405.pdf

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 8:34 PM

Nice find!
This city’s momentum is impressive.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMi View Post
41 Storey tower proposed downtown Kelowna on St Paul where FSH is located.
nice! and welcome!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
nice! and welcome!
Thank you. I work in development planning at the City. The momentum has been incredible.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I work in development planning at the City. The momentum has been incredible.
You wouldn’t happen to know the official height of Landmark 7 would you?

Never been able to find the elevations for that project.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 12:20 AM

Stober Group had the legal right to build landmark 7 under LUC 77-1. They were able to submit for building permit and weren’t required to go through the development permit process and city council where this details are made public. The details of the building permit are private. In future reports to council for a tower project staff do provide height context so it will likely be included in a future staff report. You could reach out to Stober Group and they might be willing to share it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Stober Group had the legal right to build landmark 7 under LUC 77-1. They were able to submit for building permit and weren’t required to go through the development permit process and city council where this details are made public. The details of the building permit are private. In future reports to council for a tower project staff do provide height context so it will likely be included in a future staff report. You could reach out to Stober Group and they might be willing to share it.
Thanks for the quick and informative reply!

If they ever are revealed as you said please let us know.

I tried emailing them once but got no reply, haha!

Anyways, another tall proposal for Kelowna, 42 floors and 122 metres. Between Bernard Block and the UBC proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
Another 42 storey proposal for Kelowna, BC.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 3:21 AM

If all the current highrise proposals are built, One Water St. will end up as Kelowna's 5th tallest building.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy95 View Post
Not really. It was just over 2 years between the last train and the start of mainline track removal. Some sidings were removed less than a year after the last train. A blink of an eye compared to most railway abandonments.

I think CN really gave Kelowna a dirty deal. Its like they couldn't abandon that line fast enough. I think it was only fair they should have had a ceremonial 'last train', but they didn't.

Kelowna is the largest city in Canada without a railway. It is also the largest city in Canada without a freeway too. But lets build a 46 storey tower for rich people!
Victoria doesn’t have a railway anymore. I don’t think you can say it even has a freeway, and the road infrastructure is probably sub-par compared to the Okanagan. It’s also a pretty safe bet that the Okanagan got far more goodies and investment than Vancouver Island during the 16 years of Liberal rule. Only sharing for context and facts and not a region vs region thing.

Also, why is it that the provincial government pays the full cost of most bridges in Vancouver and the William Bennett Bridge, yet nothing for the Johnson Street Bridge in Victoria which the city had to fully fund at 100 million? Sure it’s a small bridge within the city, but Victoria has very few bridges of any significance, so couldn’t all tax payers chip in for that one? What’s the criteria for paying for one bridge and not another? Same deal that some lake ferries in the interior are free because they are deemed to be part of the highway system, could you not say the same about the BC Ferries? Some forms of transport in some areas are heavily subsidized, while the main Vancouver Island to Vancouver runs are expected to turn a profit to pay for the less profitable routes. Imagine if you had to pay the real cost of driving on your roads and an additional amount in order to cover the cost of less travelled roads in other parts of the province.

Ironic that Vancouver Island appears to get a raw deal, despite the capital being on the Island!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Victoria doesn’t have a railway anymore. I don’t think you can say it even has a freeway, and the road infrastructure is probably sub-par compared to the Okanagan. It’s also a pretty safe bet that the Okanagan got far more goodies and investment than Vancouver Island during the 16 years of Liberal rule. Only sharing for context and facts and not a region vs region thing.

Also, why is it that the provincial government pays the full cost of most bridges in Vancouver and the William Bennett Bridge, yet nothing for the Johnson Street Bridge in Victoria which the city had to fully fund at 100 million? Sure it’s a small bridge within the city, but Victoria has very few bridges of any significance, so couldn’t all tax payers chip in for that one? What’s the criteria for paying for one bridge and not another? Same deal that some lake ferries in the interior are free because they are deemed to be part of the highway system, could you not say the same about the BC Ferries? Some forms of transport in some areas are heavily subsidized, while the main Vancouver Island to Vancouver runs are expected to turn a profit to pay for the less profitable routes. Imagine if you had to pay the real cost of driving on your roads and an additional amount in order to cover the cost of less travelled roads in other parts of the province.

Ironic that Vancouver Island appears to get a raw deal, despite the capital being on the Island!
The Bennett bridge, the pattulo, george massey etc are provincial highways. The Johnson Street Bridge is not

The main issue that kelowna had which Victoria does not is that the major North South highway for the interior (97) passes through town. The island highway doesn't cut through Victoria like that. Kelowna is more like nanaimo and should have a similar bypass

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 View Post
The main issue that kelowna had which Victoria does not is that the major North South highway for the interior (97) passes through town. The island highway doesn't cut through Victoria like that. Kelowna is more like nanaimo and should have a similar bypass
Got any idea how this bypass would work or be designed? Seems like it would be a huge headache to figure out a bypass system with the lake and mountains surrounding the city.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Got any idea how this bypass would work or be designed? Seems like it would be a huge headache to figure out a bypass system with the lake and mountains surrounding the city.
It's been planned as the central okanagan multimodal corridor. Most of the progress has stopped though under the ndp and the info on government websites has been mostly removed when I looked

https://www.iheartradio.ca/am-1150/n...tion-1.2506759

We haven't even heard about the 2 interchanges that were coming for west kelowna and the second transmission line has been delayed which is a major safety issue, the region is getting really shafted

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 9:56 PM

Here's the newest version of my 3D model for Kelowna, featuring the most recent tower proposals, in addition to Monaco, which I understand has been stale for some time now. Total number of proposed towers is now up to 34.

Kelowna Watermarked V3-1 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Kelowna Watermarked V3-2 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Kelowna Watermarked V3-3 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Kelowna Watermarked V3-4 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Kelowna Watermarked V3-5 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Kelowna Watermarked V3-6 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 10:58 PM

Great job, thanks!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 5:47 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Great rendering. Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia