HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 12:37 AM

Not ugly, but you would think this street was zoned for offices if just going on this one house in Cote Saint Luc, Montreal. The whole street makes for interesting architecture.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4806...7i16384!8i8192

Would these be considered modernist? Basically the whole street.

But if we are looking for ugly, let me introduce you to this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4800...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 1:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

weird mixture of styles on that CSL street.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 7:35 PM

I won't say this house in Hamilton area on the lake is ugly, but it kind of seems like a cheap South Beach knockoff. Basically those low rise apartment complexes you would find there. Except most of those have some extra design features like rounding on the corners or some accent pieces to liven up the design. This is basically one of the most no frills complexes you'd find there.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 9:10 PM

Interesting house. For some reason I get kind of a Japanese vibe from it, although it's still very much a North American building... I'd be curious to see what it looked like inside.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting house. For some reason I get kind of a Japanese vibe from it, although it's still very much a North American building... I'd be curious to see what it looked like inside.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 1:57 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I won't say this house in Hamilton area on the lake is ugly
Is this in Stoney Creek, or Burlington? Grimsby??

Lots of "mistakes by the lake" in all three. This one wouldn't be so bad if it incorporated more greenery.

Found it: 51 Windemere Road, Stoney Creek

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Nov 12, 2020 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 2:53 AM
Registered Drug User

That strip of land between the QEW and the lake east of Stoney Creek is just about the very last place on earth I'd want to live. I'm still amazed that there was a market for all those subdivisions. How did they sell it?

Hey folks! Do you like flat, featureless topography? Harsh shorelines without sandy beaches? Isolated and unwalkable residential areas featuring either drab sidesplits with vinyl siding from the sixties or contemporary townhouses combining none of the space advantages of suburban living with none of the charm of the 19th century neighbourhoods they fail so miserably to emulate?

More importantly, do you crave the constant background thrum of six lanes of high-speed traffic on a highway hemming you in from the rest of civilization so that your only escape is via said highway or something called "service roads" running parallel to it that were initially established to service all of the nearby industrial lands?

Well then, have we got the place for you!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.21103...8i8192!5m1!1e4

Last edited by rousseau; Nov 12, 2020 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:41 AM

I'm not from the area so who knows, but anytime I drive that stretch from the lift bridge through to just before Port Dalhousie, I don't get that feeling of super desireable despite the extreme close proximity to the lake. And I think that is reflected in the prices. Compared to other areas, it feels like the houses there are surprisingly not as expensive as you'd think.

I get the feeling that Dalhousie and NOTL and Ancaster and places up into the Escarpment and wine country are seen as more desireable and are more expensive. And Hamilton Beaches area actually has the beach, but ya, highway almost on top of you and smelly industrial just beyond it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:49 PM

That house on Windermere looks really nice on the inside... love the view.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That strip of land between the QEW and the lake east of Stoney Creek is just about the very last place on earth I'd want to live. I'm still amazed that there was a market for all those subdivisions. How did they sell it?

Hey folks! Do you like flat, featureless topography? Harsh shorelines without sandy beaches? Isolated and unwalkable residential areas featuring either drab sidesplits with vinyl siding from the sixties or contemporary townhouses combining none of the space advantages of suburban living with none of the charm of the 19th century neighbourhoods they fail so miserably to emulate?

More importantly, do you crave the constant background thrum of six lanes of high-speed traffic on a highway hemming you in from the rest of civilization so that your only escape is via said highway or something called "service roads" running parallel to it that were initially established to service all of the nearby industrial lands?

Are those towers for an AM radio station?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 7:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not from the area so who knows, but anytime I drive that stretch from the lift bridge through to just before Port Dalhousie, I don't get that feeling of super desireable despite the extreme close proximity to the lake. And I think that is reflected in the prices. Compared to other areas, it feels like the houses there are surprisingly not as expensive as you'd think.

I get the feeling that Dalhousie and NOTL and Ancaster and places up into the Escarpment and wine country are seen as more desireable and are more expensive. And Hamilton Beaches area actually has the beach, but ya, highway almost on top of you and smelly industrial just beyond it.
Nvm misread your post.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

There is so much soul-suckingness along the major highways, but the most soul-sucking of all has to be the SFH and low-rise/row houses, and semi-detached you see fronting or backing onto the 401/QEW. How awful it must be to hear the insane rush of traffic all hours of the day, every day. The view is appalling, especially during the fugly period from Nov-Apr when the sky is almost always grey, when what little foliage exists has been denuded of leaves, and there are usually shit globs of blackened snow crusting the edges of the roads. Fucking grim.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:33 PM

There would have to a significant discount on a house for me to buy one that backs onto a highway. Even then I'd be super annoyed. There's ambient noise like when I'm in my backyard on a quiet evening and I can hear the hum of the QEW or GO train 1.5km away as the crow flies. Not something you notice in the daytime but when everything goes quiet in the evening, if you pay attention, you can hear it. This I don't mind. I actually prefer some kind of noise as opposed to when I'm up north and can hear nothing at night. But don't want a level of noise where I can't sleep like when I spent two weeks at my cousin's brownstone apt. in Manhattan facing the street. The windows were so paper thin it was like as if they were open. And in Manhattan, garbage and utility trucks are working 24/7.

At 401 and Yonge, super expensive and fancy houses, and many back onto the 401. Not as close as other examples mentioned, but the 401 is clearly visible when you're upstairs, and lord knows what it's like to be using your backyard or have your window open.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7563.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7554...7i16384!8i8192

One of these houses is actually for sale for $3.9m right now.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 5:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
There would have to a significant discount on a house for me to buy one that backs onto a highway. Even then I'd be super annoyed. There's ambient noise like when I'm in my backyard on a quiet evening and I can hear the hum of the QEW or GO train 1.5km away as the crow flies. Not something you notice in the daytime but when everything goes quiet in the evening, if you pay attention, you can hear it. This I don't mind. I actually prefer some kind of noise as opposed to when I'm up north and can hear nothing at night. But don't want a level of noise where I can't sleep like when I spent two weeks at my cousin's brownstone apt. in Manhattan facing the street. The windows were so paper thin it was like as if they were open. And in Manhattan, garbage and utility trucks are working 24/7.

At 401 and Yonge, super expensive and fancy houses, and many back onto the 401. Not as close as other examples mentioned, but the 401 is clearly visible when you're upstairs, and lord knows what it's like to be using your backyard or have your window open.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7563.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7554...7i16384!8i8192

One of these houses is actually for sale for $3.9m right now.
awful. you probably need megaphones to communicate with each other when seated in the backyard.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 11:34 PM

This room has a lot of untold stories

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 1:32 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Lord almighty that is fugly as sin. Imagine what kind of gal would be impressed by the mounted hunting heads...in the friggin bedroom. Trumpeteer for sure.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Lord almighty that is fugly as sin. Imagine what kind of gal would be impressed by the mounted hunting heads...in the friggin bedroom. Trumpeteer for sure.
https://twitter.com/CheapoCrappy/sta...715781/photo/4

Wow..this is pure fugly

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 3:32 AM
The Vomit Bag.

TaCkY and fUgLy

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Not ugly, but you would think this street was zoned for offices if just going on this one house in Cote Saint Luc, Montreal. The whole street makes for interesting architecture.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4806...7i16384!8i8192

Would these be considered modernist? Basically the whole street.

But if we are looking for ugly, let me introduce you to this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4800...7i16384!8i8192
Wow. Those two places immediately reminded me of some of the Pike Creek areas in suburban Wilmington, Delaware. Very late modernist cookie-cutter residential for the win!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.73607...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.75068...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Ignoring the horrible taste inside, the exterior finish is baffling. It looks like they were going a stucco over brick effect with the stucco wearing away to show the brick. Except that instead we have stone, and I guess the stone is eroding away to show the brick? Weird.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada