HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 3:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
I agree that in terms of a financial aspect, it is a waste of money. But in terms of advancing the sport in this country (and let's face it, we can use all the help we can get in that domain !), it will do wonders. This is where Soccer Canada comes in. They should have lobbied harder will all levels of government to make sure that at least our 2 largest cities stay on as hosts. Ahh well.

I hope so as well.

I wouldn't call hosting a world fair "prestigious".

Literally any city on earth can host it. Knoxville, Spokane, Plovdiv (Bulgaria), Tsukuba (Japan), and Yeosu (South Korea) have all hosted the world fair. Hardly noteworthy cities, wouldn't you agree?

Now, hosting the Summer Olympics is definitely prestigious (although I wouldn't say the same thing about the winter Olympics).

F1 as well, considering only 20-25 cities in the world get to host it every year. Currently, the only event that puts Montreal on the world map is the F1.

I would also say that hosting an ATP Masters 1000 tennis tournament is up there in terms of prestige as well. And luckily for Toronto and Montreal, both of them do, on alternating years.

Indeed. Those are all Montreal-esque cities, funily enough.

Been to Barcelona and Berlin. Love them both. Have a friend in Melbourne. Hearing him talk, it's basically a carbon copy of Montreal.

LA, is, well...LA.
Anyone who has spent time in both Melbourne and Montreal will confirm that they have virtually nothing in common except for one common attribute - they're both easy going, relaxed, "Ah well you're a nut and that's OK" cities.
Douchebags not idolized kind of cities.
Douchebaggy behaviour shunned type of cities.

Berlin comes to mind.

World Fairs don't mean anything today but Expo 67 represented a turning point in Canadian history. Those who don't understand the significance simply don't understand.. anything.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Name a more iconic duo than TSN and letting go of valuable products.
Sportsnet not promoting Canadian properties aside from hockey?

Methinks you're just trying to make an excuse of MLS's failure to draw significant TV audiences in Canada. They rarely made the top 20 weekly ratings of sporting properties in Canada and when they did it was usually The Caps not TFC. They were so low at one time TSN considered letting them go and then TFC had their championship runs where ratings were slightly better and the championship games numbers were good. AFAIR

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ski View Post
People who don't comprehend the importance of Expo 67
The most successful World Fair ever?

It was Canada's coming out party, a signal to the world that "We're cool!"
If you don't even understand contemporary Canadian history..
Was it Bill Maher talking about the millenials where he said that history was measured as BC and AD after Christ and BM for millenials (before me). History doesn't exist or matter before me

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 3:22 AM

Quote:
World Fairs don't mean anything today but Expo 67 represented a turning point in Canadian history. Those who don't understand the significance simply don't understand.. anything.
You could say the same thing about the PanAm and Commonwealth Games. At one time they were a big deal.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 3:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
You could say the same thing about the PanAm and Commonwealth Games. At one time they were a big deal.
Ahh. no. They never were and you should know that.

This is honestly astounding - the ignorance.

And this is just recent history.

It's no wonder we're a nation of Walmarts, Costcos and MacDonalds!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 4:13 AM

Quote:

Are you trolling?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Anyone who has spent time in both Melbourne and Montreal will confirm that they have virtually nothing in common except for one common attribute - they're both easy going, relaxed, "Ah well you're a nut and that's OK" cities.
Douchebags not idolized kind of cities.
Douchebaggy behaviour shunned type of cities.

Berlin comes to mind.

So we are in agreement. The rest of what you wrote is jibber jabber.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Guess you had to be there, cuz I’m not getting it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 8:11 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Was it Bill Maher talking about the millenials where he said that history was measured as BC and AD after Christ and BM for millenials (before me). History doesn't exist or matter before me
Saw that and it was brilliant.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Guess you had to be there, cuz I’m not getting it.
That Al Ski cat talks in riddles but Expos (especially 67 and 70) were big back in the day as were the Commonwealth and PanAm Games.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Saw that and it was brilliant.
They're gonna get Bill soon, he's not towing the party line (all the time).

If you liked that you should watch Jordan Peterson interviewing Rex Murphy, brilliant. Rex now has a new legion of fans in the US for his folksy eloquence. Best interview (YouTube) I've seen in a long time.

Also Peterson's interview with Conrad Black surprised me and was pretty good. The staid Black absolutely glows when he talks about his time tutoring prisoners when he was doing time in the US. You get the impression that was the greatest thing he ever did in his life and it was no acting job, he was as serious as a heart attack.

Sorry, I lost track, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 9:50 PM

Boy I sure hope Edmonton is the first Canadian city to host a match for 2026 World Cup (ideally featuring Team Canada). That will ignite the Cathal Kellys and Rouseaus of the world.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:

well you are wrong there. Both the Commonwealth Games and Pan Am games were huge frequently drawing the best athletes in world to their respective events. For example, at the Winnipeg Pan Am Games in 1967, American Mark Spitz competed in 5 events winning 5 gold medals. For those not aware, Mark Spitz was essentially Michael Phelps of the 60s and 70s - the greatest swimmer in the history of the sport, until Michael Phelps came along breaking his record for most gold medals and overall medals won at the Olympics.

11 World Records were set at the Pan Am pool in Winnipeg in 67. And this was just the swimming events! It was clear that participating countries from the Americas sent their A-teams, not just the host country.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
That Al Ski cat talks in riddles but Expos (especially 67 and 70) were big back in the day as were the Commonwealth and PanAm Games.
Expo 86 was huge for Vancouver.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Expo 86 was huge for Vancouver.
IIRC, they got the stadium out of it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
IIRC, they got the stadium out of it.
I think the stadium was '83? But put Vancouver on the world map for the first time, and skytrain was built for Expo.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I think the stadium was '83? But put Vancouver on the world map for the first time, and skytrain was built for Expo.
Yes, it was open early (like the Saddledome was for Calgary 88) but I believe it was part of the Expo 86 plan.

Construction of the stadium started in 1981, with Dillingham Construction contracted to build the stadium, designed by architecture firm Studio Phillips Barratt, Ltd. BC Place was built as part of the preparations for the 1986 World's Fair, Expo 86. Upon its completion in 1983, the stadium was the world's largest air-supported domed stadium until May 4, 2010 when it was deflated for the last time in preparation for the erection of its new retractable roof, designed by structural engineers Geiger Berger Associates

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 3:19 PM
Community Guy

Argentina yesterday and GO ENGLAND GO today!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:00 AM

^
Glad Messi finally got his international trophy. He’s the greatest player the sport has seen, and I’m doubly glad Ronaldo pushers now have one less argument against him.

As for the Euro, Italy deserved to win. They were the superior team for all but the first 25 mins of the game. Feel bad for England though. What is it with the home teams losing at the Euro finals lately? Today’s result. France 5 years ago at home against Portugal. Portugal losing to Greece at home back in 2004.

Funny that Argentina beat Brazil at Maracanã as well yesterday. So much for home field advantage.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jul 12, 2021 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
As for the Euro, Italy deserved to win. They were the superior team for all but the first 25 mins of the game. Feel bad for England though. What is it with the home teams losing at the Euro finals lately?
I've had a bad day for missing all the action in games. I got in the shower before work and when I came out England already had the lead. Don't know why, as I usually would cheer for England, but I wanted Italy to come back, and felt like they would. Had to go to work and missed the second half and remainder of the game.

Joined Canada and Martinique 30 minutes late and that game was basically over. After falling behind one early Canada comes back to beat Martinique 4-1 in their opening game at the Gold Cup.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada