HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:30 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Nothing has changed since 2018.
Except for, uh, a worldwide pandemic.

Honestly at this stage the bigger question is where CMNT will play on Sept 8. Sept 2 should be pretty simply at BMO, but the game on the 8th looks like a scheduling disaster for potential facilities. Can't remember the turnaround needed and length of time needed between switching from CFL to FIFA but a number of stadiums are hosting CFL either 2 or 3 days before or after.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Nothing has changed since 2018. They made a mistake saying no back then, they now realize it and want in.
I don't think they made a mistake, they were in good company with Chicago to tell FIFA to eff off with their outrageous demands.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:59 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
He also pointed to the fact that the city of Montreal decided to step away from consideration as host city. (Edmonton, another candidate to host, is also considered questionable.)
Whoa, Vancouver instead of Edmonton? That would be perfect.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Still playing the dick role?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Honestly at this stage the bigger question is where CMNT will play on Sept 8. Sept 2 should be pretty simply at BMO, but the game on the 8th looks like a scheduling disaster for potential facilities. Can't remember the turnaround needed and length of time needed between switching from CFL to FIFA but a number of stadiums are hosting CFL either 2 or 3 days before or after.
For some reason Firefox seems to hate this site, my posts keep disappearing and it's not the usual censorship, at least I think

Could be the Big O hosting that game, their FIFA 2 rated artificial turf is 7 years old. As you said busy time with the CFL schedule. Regina, Calgary and Molson won't be considered at all, any other candidates will have to remove the lines on the artificial turf and cover up the advertising.

The largest possible non CFL stadium is Starlight (Westhills) in Langford BC at 6000-7500 seats

Last edited by elly63; Jul 14, 2021 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:29 PM

Quote:
I don't think they made a mistake, they were in good company with Chicago to tell FIFA to eff off with their outrageous demands.
It does seem that this is all just an exercise in haggling over price. With Montreal out I guess FIFA is willing to bend a little now?

Although considering the number of top-shelf venues in the US you have to wonder if FIFA wouldn't consider simply replacing Montreal with a US city? It might be less of a hassle.

I hope Edmonton stays in just to make rousseau mad.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:42 PM

Anxiously waiting for more of these stories to pop up like the Capitol insurrection arrests.

Quote:
A man has been arrested after England footballers were racially abused on social media following last Sunday’s Euro 2020 final.

The 37-year-old man from Ashton upon Mersey in Trafford, Greater Manchester, handed himself in to police on Wednesday morning.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
If the WC was in, say, 2022 or 2024, I would agree. But it isn't. It's in 5 years. The current pandemic is irrelevant in that regard.

Vancouver's tourism industry will rebound in 1-2 years time. Whether they are hosting a WC in 5 years or not.

Like I said, nothing has changed.

Quote:

Saputo has nothing planned for that day.

https://www.cfmontreal.com/en/schedule

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 2:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
If the WC was in, say, 2022 or 2024, I would agree. But it isn't. It's in 5 years. The current pandemic is irrelevant in that regard.

Vancouver's tourism industry will rebound in 1-2 years time. Whether they are hosting a WC in 5 years or not.

Like I said, nothing has changed.
I really, really don't think so. Regardless of the timing the BC government is being given the opportunity to hosting a wide-scale, tourism-driving event that will generate numbers for Vancouver and they're more desperate now for that event than they would have been pre-COVID. I don't know if there's any way around that fact. Add in the fact that they're a majority government now (something else that has changed since!) and voila - hosting WC is back on the menu.

Quote:
Saputo has nothing planned for that day.

https://www.cfmontreal.com/en/schedule
MLS schedules for Canadian teams to play in Canada haven't been released yet. It's assumed they'll begin playing home matches in Canada in the coming weeks. As things currently stand they have a 'home' match set for Sept 12th, so possible.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:21 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Less desirable really.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
MLS schedules for Canadian teams to play in Canada haven't been released yet. It's assumed they'll begin playing home matches in Canada in the coming weeks. As things currently stand they have a 'home' match set for Sept 12th, so possible.
MLS clubs like Montreal already have home games "scheduled" for the entire season, even if they aren't playing them in their home stadium. Are you saying that this schedule might change once they are allowed to play at Saputo?

That would be surprising, as it would throw the whole MLS schedule out of whack.

We can assume that the schedule is based on when Saputo (or BMO) would be available.

So my bet is that when they start playing here, it will be on the schedule as posted currently.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:24 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
MLS clubs like Montreal already have home games "scheduled" for the entire season, even if they aren't playing them in their home stadium. Are you saying that this schedule might change once they are allowed to play at Saputo?
At this stage? Who knows. There's currently hurdles wrt Cincinnati/Toronto this weekend because of unvaccinated players on Cincy being unable to travel to Canada, so this match is a bit up in the air last I checked. Some juggling will have to occur to fit things in. For the WCQ matches especially there's concern about the Central American countries players being vaccinated in time play the matches - IIRC Honduras is trying to get their players vaccinated during the current Gold Cup in the US so that they're eligible to enter Canada when the time comes, or if Canada will even be able to host these matches at all with travel restrictions. Forge are supposedly hosting a club from El Salvador in early August so that's our first indication of things opening up slightly.

Quote:
That would be surprising, as it would throw the whole MLS schedule out of whack.
Can't be any worse than the status quo of the three Canadian teams playing out of Florida and Utah.

Quote:
We can assume that the schedule is based on when Saputo (or BMO) would be available.
Not as if Saputo has any tenants that aren't CF Montreal.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 7:02 PM

Looks like TFC and CF Montreal will play in their home stadiums in Canada as of this Saturday.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-cf-mon...rday-1.1667847

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 3:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Guess you had to be there, cuz I’m not getting it.
I wasn't there but I wasn't at WW2 either so..
Who gets any of this stuff?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 3:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Are you trolling?
I apologize.

Every event was important at a certain time in history. Hosting that event at the time it was relevant is key.

The Pan Am Games were relevant at some point in time, they no longer are, haven't been for 50 years. In Latin America yes, in North America or the rest of the World? No.

The Commonwealth Games were never relevant - world records can be and are set at any athletic competition, the Commonwealth Games are the last vestige of faded Empire. Nothing more than a sideshow

World Fairs are no longer relevant but Expo 67 occurred at the time of 'Peak World Fair'. And it coincided with Canada's Centennial - for us, it was a BIG DEAL! The fact it that resulted in arguably the best World Fair ever and the legacy it left behind.. Canada officially became cool!

Some may even posit - and this is bound to be controversial - that it may have been even more important than the building of the world's 250th tallest, private equity-funded, investor driven, skyline enhancement!

Ok well obviously, nothing's more important than skylines..

Incomprehensible that today's ahistorical, zero sum, skyline worshippers don't understand the importance of this event

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 4:28 AM
BANNED

By the way, I just watched the UEFA Cup.

Not a massive soccer fan but my mates are so I get caught up in it.

Canada will get 10 Group Stage games..

I cannot for the life of me remember where any of the Group Stage games were played.

Can you?

Do you think that anyone in 2026 is going to?

"Ahhh that memorable 6-1 drubbing of Sierra Leone by Slovenia in Edmonton!"

Not picking on Edmonton but nobody cares.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 6:31 AM
BANNED

The Olympics, World Cup, F-1, etc used to be about 'fair competition'.

Now however, they've become cesspools of bribery, TV deals, hedge funds, private equity, tax-avoidance, money laundering, on a global scale.

You know, much like our housing market!

And the general financialization of absolutely everything

I'm glad that Mayor Val opted out of this scam. She calculated that it would cost $100 million per game to host. Maybe an exaggeration but you're never going to recoup even half that cost - on 2 or 3 Group Round games that nobody gives a flying fuck about.

Good luck host cities, nobody is going to give a shit about whatever Group Stage games you host.

They don't run tourist ads featuring your 'skyline' before each game!

Or maybe they do give your skyline 3 seconds.. and nobody cares.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 7:25 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ski View Post
Some may even posit - and this is bound to be controversial - that it may have been even more important than the building of the world's 250th tallest, private equity-funded, investor driven, skyline enhancement!

Ok well obviously, nothing's more important than skylines..

Incomprehensible that today's ahistorical, zero sum, skyline worshippers don't understand the importance of this event
Did you check recently where you are posting?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 1:13 PM
Community Guy

B.C. to 'entertain' hosting 2026 FIFA World Cup in Vancouver

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/arti...cup-vancouver/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 7:05 PM

Just when you thought BC couldn't possibly do more to fuel it's real estate based economy..........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada