HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:53 PM

211 Centrum Blvd | 28+53m | 9+17 f | Approved

https://app.ottawa.ca/postingplans/a...appId=__BBMKLP

The following is from the site application summary found in the link provided.

Quote:
The City of Ottawa has received an Official Plan Amendment, Rezoning and Site Plan Control
applications to permit the construction of a 397-unit retirement home consisting of a 1-to-4 storey
podium with two towers (9 and 17 storey). The proposal includes two levels of underground
parking with a total of 311 parking spaces.
Quote:
The proposal is to construct a 397-unit retirement home with large indoor and outdoor amenity spaces.
The building includes a one-to-four storey podium with two towers: the west tower has a height of nine
storeys and the north tower is 17 storeys. The gross floor area of the structure will be 30,421 square
metre and will have two levels of underground parking providing a total of 311 parking space on the site.
39 bicycle parking spaces will be provided internally
Feel free to post the renderings from the pdf.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 4:14 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Developer: Le Groupe Maurice

Architect: Hobin Architecture

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 4:27 AM

Looks decent. This is the level of design we should be getting on Champlain St., rather than a stack of shipping containers with its back to the street.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 4:57 AM

Pretty mundane, generic development that could have been built in 2003 or 2021. But no real complaints. Interesting that it's a 397-unit retirement home with 311 parking spaces. Retirement homes have a 0.25 parking ratio requirement and usually provide quite a bit less parking than this. I can see this being a bait and switch to plain residential.

Last edited by GeoNerd; Mar 6, 2021 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 11:30 AM
National Capital Region

They are a legit developer of retirement homes, many projects in Quebec. From the website it sounds that they is more targeted to independent living where residents likely still own a car.
https://www.legroupemaurice.com/nos-...rsonnes-agees/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Looks decent. This is the level of design we should be getting on Champlain St., rather than a stack of shipping containers with its back to the street.
For sure, this new proposal is miles ahead of the Champlain project. The latter is such a waste of a prime piece of land.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
They are a legit developer of retirement homes, many projects in Quebec. From the website it sounds that they is more targeted to independent living where residents likely still own a car.
https://www.legroupemaurice.com/nos-...rsonnes-agees/
Yep, very plausible it stays a more active retirement home. It also helps with future conversion to residential or sale of the property pre-construction to include a good amount of parking. It's too bad most retirement homes have "a look" to them. Mostly frugal architecture and earth-tones. Although a few on their webpage seem to buck that trend.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:59 PM

The design of the tallest tower reminds me of the retirement home proposed next to Christ Church (Cathedral Hill).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 4:07 PM

Happy to see this proposal! More density in the heart of Orleans (Centrum, Place d'Orleans area)

I was wondering what was going to happen to the old RBC building.

It is interesting to see Quebec based companies building in Orleans. With Brigil at Trim rd and now this retirement home.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 2:03 PM

It looks like the nine floor building has its back facing Place d'Orleans Drive. Same with the building to the west.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 10:24 PM

Hadn't given it a second thought, but now that you mention it, they should make an effort to make the building open up to both Place d'Orleans Drive and their own courtyard.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 1:46 PM

Some crews were on-site yesterday clearing some trees and shrubs, but otherwise I haven't seen much else in activity lately. According to the DevApps, the final plans were all approved back in February, so I would expect some site mobilization to start in the coming weeks/months.

As a resident of Orleans, I am quite looking forward to watching this project go up. While retirement homes aren't necessarily the most exciting of developments, I think the Centrum/Place D'Orleans area has so much potential to be slowly transformed into a mini-downtown hub for the Orleans neighbourhood, and this project will be the first step to bringing residents into this area. Once the LRT service is up and running, I expect this area to be very attractive for future developments. My dream is to eventually see the mall torn down and completely redeveloped into a nice walkable mixed-use community.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
Some crews were on-site yesterday clearing some trees and shrubs, but otherwise I haven't seen much else in activity lately. According to the DevApps, the final plans were all approved back in February, so I would expect some site mobilization to start in the coming weeks/months.

As a resident of Orleans, I am quite looking forward to watching this project go up. While retirement homes aren't necessarily the most exciting of developments, I think the Centrum/Place D'Orleans area has so much potential to be slowly transformed into a mini-downtown hub for the Orleans neighbourhood, and this project will be the first step to bringing residents into this area. Once the LRT service is up and running, I expect this area to be very attractive for future developments. My dream is to eventually see the mall torn down and completely redeveloped into a nice walkable mixed-use community.
Totally agree......looking forward to driving down Duford Dr. and watching these buildings going up.
As for tearing down the mall, if it ever happens would be decades away (one could only dream)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 3:44 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:

Mobilization is still a bit of time away. Tree removals had to be done before April 15th so the rush was put on for that. Up next will be the demolition of the former RBC Bank. The owner is in a hurry to get this project started so we should see activity in the near future.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:32 PM

There has been zero activity on this site for almost a year now, despite everything being approved last February. Its very strange...they cut the trees down last spring and everything seemed to be moving towards site mobilization, but even now the old RBC bank has yet to be demolished and there's been no other signs of any action on this project whatsoever in the last 11 months. I hope it wasn't cancelled, and is just going through some final pre-construction bureaucracy before getting underway this year.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:44 PM

Quote:
There has been zero activity on this site for almost a year now, despite everything being approved last February. Its very strange...they cut the trees down last spring and everything seemed to be moving towards site mobilization, but even now the old RBC bank has yet to be demolished and there's been no other signs of any action on this project whatsoever in the last 11 months. I hope it wasn't cancelled, and is just going through some final pre-construction bureaucracy before getting underway this year.
Still waiting on contract to start demolition, I'm expecting that to start in late april/may.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 12:34 AM

Late May now, and no demolition save by slow neglect.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs