HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you planning to attend 2010 events?
Yes 108 62.07%
No 66 37.93%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 4:13 PM

Club Bud Re-emerges in Vancouver
Budweiser to Host Five Nights of Exclusive Parties in February

VANCOUVER, Jan. 19 /CNW/ - Club Bud, host of the hottest parties in Beijing and Torino, will claim its place on top of the party podium in Vancouver. Budweiser will be the center of the Vancouver's social scene for five nights in February.

In Torino, Budweiser introduced the world to Club Bud with a six-story pyramid-shaped nightclub. Club Bud kept the party going in Beijing with 360 degrees video screens, an electrifying dance floor and an outdoor pool. In February 2010, Club Bud will transform the famed Commodore Ballroom into the place for athletes, celebrities and some lucky fans to celebrate in style.

Club Bud will be located on pedestrian-friendly Granville Street in the heart of Vancouver's entertainment district. The 19,000-square foot, 1,000-person capacity, multi-level venue will feature a concert stage, elevated seating, several bar and lounge areas and the legendary 2,646-square foot sprung dance floor. Partygoers will enjoy live DJs and music throughout the night
and three separate bar areas will offer distinct atmospheres to enjoy a cold Budweiser with friends.

Club Bud party co-hosts Burton, the National Hockey League (NHL), Under Armour and lululemon athletica will present themed evenings, with doors opening at 9 p.m. Athlete and celebrity arrival times on the red carpet will vary by party. More information will be available via media advisories prior to each event.

- Friday, February 19; Burton Party
- Saturday, February 20; NHL Party
- Thursday, February 25; Budweiser Party
- Friday, February 26; Under Armour Party
- Saturday, February 27; lululemon athletica Party

"Budweiser is renowned for its exclusive parties and guests," said Richard Musson, Vice President of Marketing, Labatt Breweries of Canada. "Club Bud is bringing Vancouver five epic parties and will be the place to be for competitors to come together to celebrate their achievements and enjoy the camaraderie shared among world-class athletes."

In addition to drawing top name athletes and celebrities to Club Bud, Budweiser is searching for two lucky people to crash the parties in Vancouver. The Club Bud Party Crasher job search offers applicants the chance to attend one of the Club Bud weekends and will require the winner to use social media tools to capture and share the Club Bud experience online. Details can be found at www.facebook.com/budweisercanada

------

i heard that the Mint has completely decorated the olympic village station. can anyone confirm? the Mint will also have a pavilion downtown...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:41 PM

Sounds cool, I guess. At least there will be something that tastes worse than Molson out there.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:48 PM

Budweiser isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the name 'Club Bud'.. especially when it comes to Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 8:42 PM

The City's website has listings and descriptions of the Public Art for 2010:

Overview
http://olympichostcity.vancouver.ca/...cartprogram/#1

Legacy Sites
http://olympichostcity.vancouver.ca/...gacy-sites.htm
Cambie Bridge installation is a bit disappointing - it's a "vase" at West 2nd Ave.
The one on the south plaza of Library Square was being installed this morning.

Mapping
http://olympichostcity.vancouver.ca/...ng-marking.htm

Partner Projects
http://olympichostcity.vancouver.ca/...r-projects.htm

Bright Lights DTES
http://olympichostcity.vancouver.ca/...ight-light.htm

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Club Bud Re-emerges in Vancouver
Budweiser to Host Five Nights of Exclusive Parties in February

VANCOUVER, Jan. 19 /CNW/ - Club Bud, host of the hottest parties in Beijing and Torino, will claim its place on top of the party podium in Vancouver. Budweiser will be the center of the Vancouver's social scene for five nights in February.

In Torino, Budweiser introduced the world to Club Bud with a six-story pyramid-shaped nightclub. Club Bud kept the party going in Beijing with 360 degrees video screens, an electrifying dance floor and an outdoor pool. In February 2010, Club Bud will transform the famed Commodore Ballroom into the place for athletes, celebrities and some lucky fans to celebrate in style.

Club Bud will be located on pedestrian-friendly Granville Street in the heart of Vancouver's entertainment district. The 19,000-square foot, 1,000-person capacity, multi-level venue will feature a concert stage, elevated seating, several bar and lounge areas and the legendary 2,646-square foot sprung dance floor. Partygoers will enjoy live DJs and music throughout the night
and three separate bar areas will offer distinct atmospheres to enjoy a cold Budweiser with friends.

Club Bud party co-hosts Burton, the National Hockey League (NHL), Under Armour and lululemon athletica will present themed evenings, with doors opening at 9 p.m. Athlete and celebrity arrival times on the red carpet will vary by party. More information will be available via media advisories prior to each event.

- Friday, February 19; Burton Party
- Saturday, February 20; NHL Party
- Thursday, February 25; Budweiser Party
- Friday, February 26; Under Armour Party
- Saturday, February 27; lululemon athletica Party

"Budweiser is renowned for its exclusive parties and guests," said Richard Musson, Vice President of Marketing, Labatt Breweries of Canada. "Club Bud is bringing Vancouver five epic parties and will be the place to be for competitors to come together to celebrate their achievements and enjoy the camaraderie shared among world-class athletes."

In addition to drawing top name athletes and celebrities to Club Bud, Budweiser is searching for two lucky people to crash the parties in Vancouver. The Club Bud Party Crasher job search offers applicants the chance to attend one of the Club Bud weekends and will require the winner to use social media tools to capture and share the Club Bud experience online. Details can be found at www.facebook.com/budweisercanada

------

i heard that the Mint has completely decorated the olympic village station. can anyone confirm? the Mint will also have a pavilion downtown...
the royal canadian mint? yes they have all the posters at that station and they have a house on granville street i think its 500 granville - its in "the list"

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 9:48 PM
David

the Mint is taking over SFU's Segal Centre. German House will be using SFU Harbour Centre

http://www.sfu.ca/pamr/Olympics/Olympics_10070901.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 10:50 PM

Richmond Review - click on link for pic:

Quote:
Container inukshuk to tower above downtown

http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/...einukshuk2.jpg
Kevin Ouellette holds a Duplo-block model of an inukshuk that will be assembled using shipping containers near the oval.
Matthew Hoekstra photo

By Matthew Hoekstra - Richmond Review

Published: January 16, 2010 3:00 AM
Updated: January 16, 2010 9:33 AM

Look up. Six storeys up.

An inukshuk like no other is taking shape in the container storage yard of Coast 2000 Terminals in East Richmond in preparation for its pre-Olympic debut in downtown Richmond.

Nine shipping containers of varying sizes and colours will be secured together next week to form the iconic symbol of the 2010 Games.

The multi-coloured sculpture is expected to be erected late next week on the side of Gilbert Road at Elmbridge Way on the way to the Richmond Olympic Oval and within a stone’s throw of two 20th century communist leaders. Miss Mao Trying to Poise Herself at the Top of Lenin’s Head is near the site.

“It will look like a giant robot,” mused Kevin Ouellette, president of Coast 2000, one of several Richmond companies contributing to the project. “It’ll be a mosaic of earth tones using shipping containers.”

It’s part of the city’s Richmond Revealed program, designed to showcase to the world some of what Richmond is all about. The containers salute one of Richmond’s leading industries—shipping and distribution—while the inukshuk symbolizes Richmond’s role as a gateway to the Canadian economy, and its venue city status.

City engineer Jim Young was handed the inukshuk assignment in late November. He put a team together, organized a meeting and told his staff they weren’t leaving until they came up with an idea.

Out came brightly-coloured Duplo blocks, and the team landed on a design that will employ containers of 10-, 20- and 40-foot lengths.

“Inukshuks are random, randomly built out of rocks, and we wanted this to simulate that,” said Young.

The team engineered the sculpture for stability, and several local companies came on board with donations of land, time, materials and expertise: Richmond Holdings, Progressive Construction, Big Dog Containers and Coast 2000.

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 2:50 AM

Just a heads up.

Was watching the Global NewsHour tonight and they had a tidbit about the Olympic venue up at Cypress Bowl.

Not only will one need to arrive by shuttle bus but one will also apparently be required to walk another 2 km to the grandstand. Yikes - that 2 km figure sure had me scratching my head.

Hopefully most of the attendees will be hearty - it is a once in a lifetime event.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Just a heads up.

Was watching the Global NewsHour tonight and they had a tidbit about the Olympic venue up at Cypress Bowl.

Not only will one need to arrive by shuttle bus but one will also apparently be required to walk another 2 km to the grandstand. Yikes - that 2 km figure sure had me scratching my head.

Hopefully most of the attendees will be hearty - it is a once in a lifetime event.
The same can be said for games at UBC, and the oval. They will drop you off WAAAAY far away. And you need to follow signs up a big hill, and quite a few blocks.

It seems silly to me, and I'm glad I'm only going to events at BC & GM Place.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 8:31 AM

you also have to leave the venue at the scheduled time and must stay for the duration of the event

also there is a list of contraban items not allowed - seems reasonable/normal expected but there is no procedure to give back conviscated items - so leave the expensive cameras at home i guess

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 1:36 PM

pavilion progress..

photo by Kate on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kate/4289793098/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 1:46 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
pavilion progress..

photo by Kate on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kate/4289793098/
thanks for posting that! saved me the trouble of using a pic I took yesterday.

I was just about to flame Concord a little. Lets start

The Concord Place project is very very sad to say the least. Notice the whole East End of the area........EMPTY.......3 weeks to go and not a hint of activity

good work leasing the spaces Concord glad one of their money grabs is not working out as much as they usually do

Also I will make the call early that the Ontario Pavillion as its build to last by the looks of it will be the next Concord Pacific sales and office Pavilion.......with the current building and such being loaded about barges again and moved to richmond for the upcoming mega project they have lined up there

only speculation but would seem logical.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:32 PM

And some medal count prognostications...

Quote:
Canada Poised To Win Olympic Medal Count: Professor

Prognosticator with excellent track record says we could beat U.S. and Norway

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 CBC News

Canada is set to win a record number of medals at the 2010 Winter Games, according to an academic who has accurately predicted Olympic medal counts since 2000.

"Canada for the first time ever will win the most Olympic medals of any nation at the Games, 27 medals," said Daniel Johnson, an associate professor of economics at Colorado College in Colorado Springs.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...rediction.html

Knock on wood.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 7:02 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
you also have to leave the venue at the scheduled time and must stay for the duration of the event

also there is a list of contraban items not allowed - seems reasonable/normal expected but there is no procedure to give back conviscated items - so leave the expensive cameras at home i guess
Wait, what? We aren't allowed to bring cameras now?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 7:54 PM

The List of Restricted Items

Here is the official VANOC list of restricted items at official venues:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic...ing-the-venue/

I don't see anything there that tells me I can't bring a personal camera. I see some stuff about not bringing equipment for making professional videos for resale. I also see a statement about no flash photography near sporting fields, which is typical.

Does someone have other information or are people just speculating about the camera rules? I simply can't imagine a person would be prohibited from bringing a digital camera for personal use, as long as they aren't snapping flash photographs as the athletes compete.

But if someone knows differently, please clarify.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 7:59 PM

Here is the specific FAQ on Cameras

I think this should settle the matter. Here is the specific FAQ from the Vancouver 2010 site:

Can I take photographs or use my video camera at the venues?

Photography for personal use is permitted, but flash photography is not permitted at Canada Hockey Place, Pacific Coliseum, Richmond Olympic Oval, UBC Thunderbird Arena and The Whistler Sliding Centre. The use of broadcast or photographic equipment for commercial purposes is prohibited

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Just a heads up.

I think I recall the same complaints about Turin.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 8:44 PM

What better advertising than hosting the Olympics...

Quote:
Whistler owner Intrawest on auction block

Vancouver Sun
January 20, 2010 12:27 PM

VANCOUVER — Intrawest ULC, the owner of Whistler-Blackcomb, has been put on the auction block less than a month before it is slated to host the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Creditors of Fortress Investment Group LLC , the New-York based private equity and hedge fund which owns Intrawest, forced the auction after Fortress failed to make a the final payment on a $1.7-billion loan used by Fortress to buy Intrawest.

Notice of the auction — scheduled to take place on Feb. 19, in the midst of the Olympics — was published Tuesday in newspapers by the lender-appointed trustee, according to Bloomberg.

The Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee (Vanoc) said Whistler-Blackcomb would still be ready to host the Olympics, which start Feb. 12.

“We understandably cannot comment on Intrawest's finances beyond our continued support for their efforts to settle outstanding financial matters,” Dan Doyle, Vanoc's executive vice-president of construction, said in a written statement. “What we can confirm is that Whistler Blackcomb is an important partner in the staging of the 2010 Games and we continue working in very close partnership with them to finalize overall preparations and readiness for the skiing and sliding sport events.

“We look forward, with them, to welcoming the world in 23 days.” Doyle added.

In addition to Whistler Blackcomb, where many of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic events are to take place, Intrawest owns three other ski resorts in Canada and seven in the United States.

Fortress paid $2.8 billion, including the assumption of debt, for Intrawest in 2006.

More to come on this breaking story …

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Toronto Star:

Quote:
Lenders seize Intrawest assets, including Olympic ski resort

January 20, 2010
The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER—Lenders have seized the assets of Intrawest ULC, including the Whistler ski resort that will be home to the Olympic downhill races next month, sparking uncertainty about whether the Games will still be held on the property.

A public notice has been posted in newspapers by the company's lenders, which include Lehman Brothers, saying that an auction to sell the assets will be held on Feb. 19, right in the midst of the Olympics.

Vancouver-based Intrawest, which is owned by New York private equity firm Fortress Investment Group LLC, reportedly missed payments last month that were due on a $1.4 billion (U.S.) loan.

Intrawest has been struggling with financial problems since it was bought by Fortress in 2006 for $2.8 billion in cash and debt.

The deal was a leveraged buyout with a $1.7-billion loan which came due in late 2008, around the time when the financial meltdown hit.

Intrawest has sold several assets in order to meet the payments, including a resort at Copper Mountain, Colo., and two resorts in France.

Calls to the company were not immediately returned.

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 11:55 PM

VANOC board of directors declare Vancouver and Whistler ready to host the world in 23 days

Quote:
Arrival of Olympic Flame in British Columbia heralds final leg of journey towards 2010 Olympic Winter Games

Vancouver, BC — With just 23 days remaining before the world is welcomed to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, the board of directors — in their final meeting before the Games begin — gave their seal of approval to the finishing touches the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) is preparing on behalf of all Canadians for a worldwide audience.

“The board is confident the organizing committee and its partners are well prepared to meet the extraordinary day-to-day challenges of hosting one of the largest international sporting events,” said board chairman Rusty Goepel. “Many hurdles have been overcome in the past few months —both with ingenuity and a lot of long hours by dedicated staff, contractors and volunteers, which will make all Canadians proud.”

Among the general updates discussed was the final leg of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch Relay, whichofficially starts Thursday when the Olympic Flame re-enters British Columbia, the Host Province of the Games, through the Rocky Mountains and into the town of Golden. The flame will complete its 106-day journey across Canada towards BC Place and light the Olympic Cauldron on February 12, welcoming the world to the Games.

“Tomorrow will be an incredibly exciting day for all of us involved in the 2010 Winter Games as we welcome the Olympic Flame back to British Columbia. It’s been an inspiring relay throughout Canada with warm welcomes extended everywhere leading to a steadily growing excitement towards the Games. We are truly in the home stretch now of final preparations to welcome the world,” Goepel continued.

Peter Lougheed, who was instrumental in the securing and organizing of the Calgary 1988 Olympic Winter Games, will pass the flame to Wally Buono, head coach of the Canadian Football League’s BC Lions, as it officially enters British Columbia through Kicking Horse Pass. The pass, the highest point on the Canadian Pacific Railway at 1,627 metres, is a national historic site and played an important role in connecting Canadians to each other and the world through the railway in the 1880s and later on with the construction of the Trans-Canada Highway in the 1960s.

“It’s been a remarkable journey up to this point and we take a moment now and again, like today, to enjoy the moment but then it’s back to work asour team continues to work around the clock to make sure every detail is tended to,” said John Furlong, Chief Executive Officer of VANOC. “The relay continues to showcase what a marvelous and beautiful country Canada is, filled with people willing to share their amazing stories and show lots and lots of heart. We hope you’ll all be with us in spirit, if not in person, on February 12.”
http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic..._234938tn.html

God, I'm so excited. I went overboard and will end up going to 21 hockey games in 12 days.

Do other sports even exist ?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 11:58 PM

i definitely notice all the extra people walking around and pointing at stuff

here's some renderings and construction shots of "Vancouver House"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/causean...7623126869441/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion