HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 3:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I took the Seabus once across the harbour from downtown Vancouver to North Vancouver in order to go see the Capilano Suspension Bridge. There was a bus terminal right at the Seabus dock. It was a seamless connection for me to walk from the ferry right to the connecting bus which took me directly to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It was very handy for a tourist such as myself.

Wouldn't it be nice if Halifax Transit could do something similar???

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 4:22 PM

The Alderney Ferry Terminal is served decently well by buses on Alderney Drive that go to most areas of Dartmouth. You can get to Pleasant Street/Eastern Passage (route 6), Portland Street (5), north end/Highfield (53), Mic Mac (54/55), Main Street (54), and Prince Albert Road (62).

You need to transfer at the Bridge or Highfield terminals to go to Burnside (including Dartmouth Crossing), or the Windmill Road corridor.

One nice aspect of the Dartmouth Towers site is that it's relatively easy cycling to downtown Halifax (completely separated bike lanes the entire way) or Burnside.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
The Alderney Ferry Terminal is served decently well by buses on Alderney Drive that go to most areas of Dartmouth. You can get to Pleasant Street/Eastern Passage (route 6), Portland Street (5), north end/Highfield (53), Mic Mac (54/55), Main Street (54), and Prince Albert Road (62).

You need to transfer at the Bridge or Highfield terminals to go to Burnside (including Dartmouth Crossing), or the Windmill Road corridor.

One nice aspect of the Dartmouth Towers site is that it's relatively easy cycling to downtown Halifax (completely separated bike lanes the entire way) or Burnside.
Yes, they are perfectly situated to take advantage of the cycling infrastructure.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Of course. But as a general statement about the topography, it's hyperbole.
I happen to believe that the connection between the ferry terminal and bus terminal is too far and too steep, both, to be considered reasonable. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 6:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I happen to believe that the connection between the ferry terminal and bus terminal is too far and too steep, both, to be considered reasonable. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic.
It is not a big deal if you're in okay shape and want to go for a walk, but connections like that suck for daily transit commuters. One bus connection can add 5-10 minutes even with high service frequencies and then you have the walking time, which works out to 30-40 minutes a day in added commuting cost. The car commuter equivalent is something like living in Timberlea vs. the West End.

But this development site does have good transport access with lots of places that are accessible in a short travel time.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 6:30 PM

Quote:
It appears there have been two misunderstandings here.

1) The statement of the original poster (Keith) with which I took issue was not about the connection between the ferry terminal and the transit terminal. It was about the connection between the site of the proposed towers and the Halifax Transit terminal on Nantucket. He characterized that walk as a "challenging uphill climb". I think if you re-read Keith's post and then mine, that should be clear.

2) What I referred to as "hyperbole" was Keith's statement, not yours.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
As outlined by the developers, the structures can be built as-of-right; however, they propose a site plan application to allow the buildings to be joined by a common podium...For the record, the developers' web site suggests they are prepared to build to 33 stories even if the site plan application fails.
And as a follow-up: the owner (Manga Hotels) now says it's contracted Dexter to begin excavation for the first tower (expected to take about six months) and Ellis Don to build it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Of course. But as a general statement about the topography, it's hyperbole.
It's not hyperbole if you have a disability as I do. However for an able-bodied person I will concede it is likely manageable if not unpleasant at certain times. I would suggest that the transit terminal is poorly situated at the top of a hill and was built where it is out of convenience for HRM and not out of a desire to locate it in the optimal location for Transit users.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Nearly every route that serves the ferry terminal also stops at the bridge terminal. There's only maybe 1 or 2 out of around a dozen that doesn't so there's lot of connectivity there. But really, most people taking the ferry don't need access to the bridge terminal since most ferry commuters come from the Portland corridor so taking the ferry is the most direct way downtown. The majority of people coming from northern Dartmouth or the Woodland Ave corridor (like route #10) seem to prefer the bridge anyway as the ferry would likely add extra time and transfers.
So much to unpack there that is simply inaccurate.

If one lives north of Thistle or Nantucket, you don't prefer using the gridlocked bridge to get to and from your job in DT Halifax because it is convenient. You choose it because the bus service does not work. You catch a bus to the Sportsplex terminal and have a choice: get on a sardine-can jammed bus to sit in traffic on the Macdonald to get you DT eventually, or wait for a random bus to take you to Alderney and then wait for the ferry. In the AM that may be a better choice because as you say a lot of buses pass by the ferry terminal. You better hope you have lots of exact change though. /s

At the end of the work day it is a different story. If you take the ferry back to DT Dartmouth, good luck to you getting a bus from there heading north to the Sportsplex terminal. I have personally waited an hour for a bus to arrive at Queens Square to take me north while watching a great many across the street heading in the opposite direction. That is not hyperbole but reality. Then when you finally get to the Sportsplex, there is another long wait as you look fruitlessly for a bus to take you to points north and east towards Micmac and beyond. I learned from painful experience that the ferry was an inconvenient but functional choice in the AM but hopeless in the evening. Why Transit has never been able to fix this remains one of a great many mysteries as to why their service has been historically bad for many decades. It seems odd that as was suggested by others that there is no shuttle loop connecting the two terminals, which would make the service far more functional for many people. Of course, Transit would probably run it on an hourly frequency.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It's not hyperbole if you have a disability as I do. However for an able-bodied person I will concede it is likely manageable if not unpleasant at certain times. I would suggest that the transit terminal is poorly situated at the top of a hill and was built where it is out of convenience for HRM and not out of a desire to locate it in the optimal location for Transit users.
We can agree on that.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
So much to unpack there that is simply inaccurate.

If one lives north of Thistle or Nantucket, you don't prefer using the gridlocked bridge to get to and from your job in DT Halifax because it is convenient. You choose it because the bus service does not work. You catch a bus to the Sportsplex terminal and have a choice: get on a sardine-can jammed bus to sit in traffic on the Macdonald to get you DT eventually, or wait for a random bus to take you to Alderney and then wait for the ferry. In the AM that may be a better choice because as you say a lot of buses pass by the ferry terminal. You better hope you have lots of exact change though. /s

At the end of the work day it is a different story. If you take the ferry back to DT Dartmouth, good luck to you getting a bus from there heading north to the Sportsplex terminal. I have personally waited an hour for a bus to arrive at Queens Square to take me north while watching a great many across the street heading in the opposite direction. That is not hyperbole but reality. Then when you finally get to the Sportsplex, there is another long wait as you look fruitlessly for a bus to take you to points north and east towards Micmac and beyond. I learned from painful experience that the ferry was an inconvenient but functional choice in the AM but hopeless in the evening. Why Transit has never been able to fix this remains one of a great many mysteries as to why their service has been historically bad for many decades. It seems odd that as was suggested by others that there is no shuttle loop connecting the two terminals, which would make the service far more functional for many people. Of course, Transit would probably run it on an hourly frequency.
All true. Exactly echoes my experience when working in DT Halifax.

It's mind-boggling that Halifax Transit can't coordinate Nantucket and ferry terminal service to accommodate the ferry schedule. It's been a painfully obvious need for decades now. The other big mystery for me is HT's comical inability to get an electronic pay system up and running in 2023.

There are myriad other problems with HT. Why must we put up with this pathetic nonsense for years...no, decades...on end?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 1:14 PM

Quote:
It appears there have been two misunderstandings here.

1) The statement of the original poster (Keith) with which I took issue was not about the connection between the ferry terminal and the transit terminal. It was about the connection between the site of the proposed towers and the Halifax Transit terminal on Nantucket. He characterized that walk as a "challenging uphill climb". I think if you re-read Keith's post and then mine, that should be clear.

2) What I referred to as "hyperbole" was Keith's statement, not yours.
Sorry for the confusion... and happy to be corrected. Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion... and happy to be corrected. Thanks.
No worries.

One of the things I appreciate about this board is its civility. Well, 99% of the time anyway...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 3:01 PM

Reduction of existing surface parking?

I suppose some of the existing parking spots behind the (former) hotel and office tower will soon be going away as part of this development.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye77 View Post
I suppose some of the existing parking spots behind the (former) hotel and office tower will soon be going away as part of this development.

Yes, a large section of the surface parking will be going away, but in the site plan they show additional future parking covering a green area behind the hotel.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 8:38 PM

Has anyone heard of this one being approved? I saw an excavator in the parking lot on my way home as I was coming over the MacDonald bridge.

Btw, I figure I should introduce myself - I have been a long time ghost reader in the Halifax section and wanted to start involving myself in some of these conversations. I'm an Architectural Engineering Tech student at NSCC, born and raised in Halifax. Stumbling across this page 2-3 years got me extremely interested in switching from my accounting job (non-cpa) to a career in the construction industry and I would probably still be at my old job had this page not sparked a life changing interest for me. I've read almost every Halifax thread and exposing myself to the dialogue has really benefited me so far in my early studies. I'm not sure how many regulars in this thread are industry professionals vs average joes, but I really appreciate the mostly on topic discussions related to building design, processes, dealing with the city, ect.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 11:39 PM

We all will look forward to your insights. Welcome aboard!
I'm actually a long time resident of the north end. I rented multiple places in the north/Robie village years ago. I'm now the lone advocate for seeing a musquodoboit County and a smaller Halifax city than the current Giga HRM.

These towers you refer to...
I'd like to know myself if they've been approved. If so, that would be a huge sign of good things to come for Halifax!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 4:18 AM

I got a message today through my blog saying tenants of 99 Wyse have been notified the rear lot will be closed. I rechecked the permit data and nothing has been submitted as of this Sunday. IIRC they could build one version of this project so maybe they are starting excavation for that version and will submit the building permits when the variance gets approved.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherNorthender View Post
Has anyone heard of this one being approved? I saw an excavator in the parking lot on my way home as I was coming over the MacDonald bridge.

Btw, I figure I should introduce myself - I have been a long time ghost reader in the Halifax section and wanted to start involving myself in some of these conversations. I'm an Architectural Engineering Tech student at NSCC, born and raised in Halifax. Stumbling across this page 2-3 years got me extremely interested in switching from my accounting job (non-cpa) to a career in the construction industry and I would probably still be at my old job had this page not sparked a life changing interest for me. I've read almost every Halifax thread and exposing myself to the dialogue has really benefited me so far in my early studies. I'm not sure how many regulars in this thread are industry professionals vs average joes, but I really appreciate the mostly on topic discussions related to building design, processes, dealing with the city, ect.
Welcome!

It's inspiring to hear that you were positively influenced by the many discussions in the Halifax forum to make an actual career change. I'm always impressed when people make the choice to uproot their lives to follow a passion. Best of luck with your studies.

Just an average joe here. I came to this forum a long time ago from an interest in some local heritage structures being repurposed. I have learned a lot over the years from other members, many of whom I gather are industry professionals, but also from those whose job may not be in the industry but have a great depth of knowledge nonetheless.

I'm glad to see you haven't been driven off by the off-topic discussions, and I look forward to your contributions to the forum.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
I'm now the lone advocate for seeing a musquodoboit County and a smaller Halifax city than the current Giga HRM.
I was curious about your board name. Thanks for the explanation!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth