HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 8:07 PM

With the patio, high and low, outside the old post office, still looks like a great spot for a brew pub; adding the clock tower would be wonderful.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 12:18 PM

Regardless of design (which is a little bland IMO) this will be a prominent development on the Dartmouth skyline.
At 90m it's a full 1/3 or 50% taller than Queen Square (62m) and gets a boost of maybe another ~10 metres as its location is the highest ground of that Alderney peninsula, or whatever the bump of land between Dartmouth Cove and the Commons escarpment that contains downtown proper.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Only critique I'd levy is that the corner of Queen and King could stand to have some kind of retail frontage; it looks a little empty/neglected in these renders.
It has retail at King and Queen, no? That big glass area to the right on the very first rendering looks like it's meant for retail or cafe space.

As for Keith's comments, I agree that there are no direct routes anywhere in Dartmouth, but that's because it's full of lakes and hills. To suggest that transportation in Dartmouth is a "nightmare" is hilarious.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
With the patio, high and low, outside the old post office, still looks like a great spot for a brew pub; adding the clock tower would be wonderful.
As in the Clocktower brewpub chain in Ottawa? Unless that has improved significantly in recent years I wouldn't desire it anywhere here.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
As in the Clocktower brewpub chain in Ottawa? Unless that has improved significantly in recent years I wouldn't desire it anywhere here.
... I think, as in the-clock-tower-that-used-to-be-part-of-the-old-post-office-building-before-it-was-removed

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
this one: https://www.partnersglobal.com/sites...2021.04.08.pdf

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
It has retail at King and Queen, no? That big glass area to the right on the very first rendering looks like it's meant for retail or cafe space.

As for Keith's comments, I agree that there are no direct routes anywhere in Dartmouth, but that's because it's full of lakes and hills. To suggest that transportation in Dartmouth is a "nightmare" is hilarious.
It soon will be. That's my point.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 6:44 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This one is exciting. I don't mind the look of it. There is a lot of potential for DT Dartmouth to have a few more of these. While I too don't think there are any issues driving around downtown, I actually welcome more people. Not everyone will have a car.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Oh. That looks nicer that what Ottawa has.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:29 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
You had me at Brew Pub. IMO, there would never be enough on Sunny Days of a Dartmouth Summer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Another pic:

Source

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 6:17 AM

Another from an early 20th century postcard (complete with typo):

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redire...31337&lang=eng

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 6:25 AM

An actual photo from 1915, which looks like it could be the basis for the postcard illustration as the perspective appears to be exactly the same.

Source

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 2:22 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This photo must be digitally restored right? Look how clear it is! That building must have been stunning when it was brand new.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
This photo must be digitally restored right? Look how clear it is! That building must have been stunning when it was brand new.
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that it wasn't digitally restored. The reason I'm thinking this is that there appears to be a fingerprint on the lower right of the pic, which I imagine would have been removed if it were digitally restored.

I have noticed that many photographs of the era were taken on glass plates, which tended to yield great resolution, and anecdotally seemed to deteriorate less over time. Not a photography expert, but if you look closely at this pic you can see a diagonal line that runs from the upper right of the roof to the clock tower, that might be a crack in the glass negative... but I can't say for sure.

I agree that it must have been a stunner when it was new, with that fresh-cut stonework and the majestic clock tower, which would have been taller than anything in the downtown at the time.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 7:49 PM

Not sure how new this is, but did not see any note in this thread and I was passing by today. Fence up and lots of work noises indoors. I assume prep for the site.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
Not sure how new this is, but did not see any note in this thread and I was passing by today. Fence up and lots of work noises indoors. I assume prep for the site.

Been like that for more than a month.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 10:41 PM

Story about this in the Chronicle Herald, paywalled sadly:

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-ca...eys-100913218/

A few excerpts:
“ DARTMOUTH, N.S. — Vacant for years, the old sandstone Dartmouth post office could soon see new life — with a tower on top.

RHAD Architects, on behalf of property owner James Lawley, are appearing in front of HRM’s Heritage Advisory Committee next week to get permission to make significant alterations to the building for the massive residential development. Their plans are to build The Post, a mixed-use, 26-storey residential tower with townhomes and commercial spaces. It would have 142 residential units.

The 1914-era, two-storey building designed in the Edwardian Baroque style was added to HRM’s heritage registry in 2020 before it was sold to the developer in 2021.

Long before it was a post office, that land was the site for a Quaker Meeting House from 1785-1822. The site was also home to Dartmouth’s first school (where the parking lot is now) and fire station and the Halifax Explosion-demolished Central School.

And between 1880 and the early 1900s, six townhomes built there were known officially as Rudolf's Terrace after the property owner, but commonly referred to as "the Coloured Terrace" because of the African Nova Scotian residents.”

^^^Interesting history of which I was unaware.

More from the story:

“The addition will see the most change but beyond restoration, there will only be a few noticeable changes to the original 1914 building

The windows will be modified and a new door will need to be added to “accommodate residential use.” HRM staff said in their report to the heritage committee that the door isn’t an issue because it’s not visible from the public right-of-way.

Character-defining elements — like the sandstone, granite foundation, and inscription stone — will be preserved.

As for the addition, they plan to remove and then reconstruct the 1961 addition of the post office to turn into eight townhouse units. HRM staff say that this is fine because it is not original and does not have any character-defining elements.

The residential tower will be built on the west side of the property — taking out the parking lot that is there now. Two levels of underground parking will be added.

The First World War memorial will be restored and moved to the open space on the subject property, with added seating and lighting.

RHAD Architects wrote The Post will bring “much needed density to the downtown core” and was designed to minimize the impact on the original building.”

The mid- and high-rise portions of the project was “designed as a calm contemporary form, clad in white, to blend away on cloudy or foggy days.”

They say they designed the mid-rise and high-rise to have a minimal impact on the post office. The tower will connect to the heritage building by a glass breezeway on the second storey.

This kind of substantial alteration to a municipal heritage property will need approval from council, and council will also vote on the development agreement for the project. The heritage committee will vote on Wednesday whether to give it their blessing and send it to council or not.”

The renderings shown upthread do not seem to have changed much.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 10:58 PM

^Here's the Staff Report going to Heritage Adivsory Committee next week.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 12:44 PM

I'm biased because I used to share an office with RHAD, but I expect this one to turn out really nicely.

RHAD did a great job integrating modern with heritage at 5720 Inglis, and Jim Lawley is responsible for a lot of the success at The Alexander.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth