HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
I'm starting to agree with you... Dartmouth cove not good but now I'm wondering where would a good spot be.
Dartmouth Crossing would be perfect for a stadium/large arena. It's right by a highway, plenty of restaurants/hotels and the impact on traffic in the core of Halifax/Dartmouth would be as minimal as it could be for any large scale events.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittle View Post
Dartmouth Crossing would be perfect for a stadium/large arena. It's right by a highway, plenty of restaurants/hotels and the impact on traffic in the core of Halifax/Dartmouth would be as minimal as it could be for any large scale events.
Dartmouth crossing would be horrible. The idea is to keep venues in the city. White elephants are being torn down all over North America.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 12:54 PM

I've seen concept designs with the stadium in the vacant lands west of Costco. I don't think it would be that crazy - DC is 6.3km (4 miles) as the crow flies from downtown Halifax. According to this chart that would put it right in the middle of the pack of NFL stadiums. The key would be good transit connections. And for comparison, the true Canadian white elephant (Senator's arena in Ottawa/Kanata) is almost 25km from the downtown.

Of course, it's likely all moot because DC has approval for housing there now.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
According to this chart that would put it right in the middle of the pack of NFL stadiums.
Well, okay, but all of those stadia are in much larger population centers. Population density makes a significant difference. A lot of Ottawans won't bother making the trek to Kanata for a Senators game or concert (I work with one), but there are more than enough New Englanders who don't mind going to Foxborough to fill the much larger Gillette Stadium. Hell, by the time you make the 35 km there from Boston, Providence is only a few more minutes down the highway.

IMO, a large stadium here is such a marginal proposition that for any hope of success it would have to have absolutely everything possible going for it from the start, and that means proximity to the downtown core and all of its amenities is a must. Think Wanderers, and why they're able to draw so well.

Unfortunately, that's a near-impossible goal considering Halifax's geography. There's almost nowhere to put a stadium on the peninsula.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Mar 12, 2024 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 6:54 PM

Just to add to this discussion....I've kinda have a spot picked out in the back of my head. I've kinda shelved it for awhile but let me be vulnerable here...
1. Have it in the "city center plan" area
2. Have it close to a highway
3. Walking access to downtown pubs
4. Loads of parking
Impossible?
Drum roll......

Old imperial oil refinery!!
-hwy111
-woodside ferry to downtown
Etc

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 1:25 AM

Halifax SSP posters trying not to derail development threads into conversations about stadiums/cycling (impossible)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Halifax SSP posters trying not to derail development threads into conversations about stadiums/cycling (impossible)
CYCLING? Did someone say cycling?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth