HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I think I was only ever in the original Moon (as a customer, I mean) twice, but I spent a LOT of time at the Kempt Road location, and saw a lot of great shows. It attracted a lot of top-level bands.
As a footnote to some of the history of this site, I found the following thesis posted online, which may be of interest. There are some interesting and amusing first-hand accounts of events that happened there (and interactions with well-known musicians who played there) over the years.

Music, Money, Memory and Cultural Identity:
An Oral History of the Misty Moon Show Bar

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 4:43 AM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
As a footnote to some of the history of this site, I found the following thesis posted online, which may be of interest. There are some interesting and amusing first-hand accounts of events that happened there (and interactions with well-known musicians who played there) over the years.

Music, Money, Memory and Cultural Identity:
An Oral History of the Misty Moon Show Bar
It is remarkable what one can do to obtain a Masters degree these days. Not that the subject itself is unworthy of some scholarly insight but this particular effort involved "research" that was very spotty and interviews with a small group of people that sounded like conversation at a kaffee klatch. The writing itself was very poor as well.

Aside from the expected but still rampant-sounding use of drugs by many involved, the main thing I got out of it was something I had never given much thought to previously but which I suspect is true, perhaps even to a greater extent than described - the amount of cash that got generated by the place. CRA could have had a field day, I suspect.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, I came across that myself a few months ago. Interesting read.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It is remarkable what one can do to obtain a Masters degree these days. Not that the subject itself is unworthy of some scholarly insight but this particular effort involved "research" that was very spotty and interviews with a small group of people that sounded like conversation at a kaffee klatch. The writing itself was very poor as well.
The quality of student writing at all levels these days - including by masters and PhD candidates - is absolutely cringe-worthy. In my current role I also see a lot of résumés. They're even worse.

Quote:
Aside from the expected but still rampant-sounding use of drugs by many involved, the main thing I got out of it was something I had never given much thought to previously but which I suspect is true, perhaps even to a greater extent than described - the amount of cash that got generated by the place. CRA could have had a field day, I suspect.
Yes, and if it were today, I suspect CRA would be all over it. They've audited a number of bars and their staff in recent years. My daughter worked for a time at a very busy Halifax bar, earning an unbelievable (to me) amount in tips. She nearly caused her own lynching by other staff when she let it slip that she reported her tips on her tax return.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

I too was surprised that this was actually a thesis.

What interested me, and the reason I posted a link to it, were the stories about the bands and artists who played there (some well-known, some not so much), and the evolution of the Canadian music industry and Halifax's part in it. In a few years, with a new building on this site, I suspect very few will be aware of its 'significance' in those terms.

The business aspects, although perhaps 'juicy', do not really interest me.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 7:22 PM

Quote:
I too was surprised that this was actually a thesis.

What interested me, and the reason I posted a link to it, were the stories about the bands and artists who played there (some well-known, some not so much), and the evolution of the Canadian music industry and Halifax's part in it. In a few years, with a new building on this site, I suspect very few will be aware of its 'significance' in those terms.
I saw a number of those bands, albeit all at the Kempt Road location. There were lots of truly excellent performances there, but my favorites were probably Atlanta Rhythm Section (actually went three nights in a row - they were that good), Delbert McClinton, and Roy Buchanan, one of the true guitar greats and probably the best one I ever saw live. Actually, I take that back - I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan, but that wasn't at the Moon.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 7:49 PM

I found the Doobie Brothers story particularly interesting/amusing.

I didn't actually go to the Moon until it was on Barrington, but saw many great acts there. Would love to have gone to the other locations, but NS liquor laws being what they were, I was too young to attend...

I've mentioned it before, but seeing Jeff Healey perform at Secretary's on a Saturday afternoon, jamming with some local musicians was a highlight to me. His Moon show was great, of course, but seeing him cut it up improvisationally was something to see/hear. Also met him that weekend, and although brief, I got the feeling that he was a really nice guy with a great sense of humour.

Lots of other great shows, but not wanting to take this tangent too far from 2215 Gottingen...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 1:24 PM

Hard to believe that actually passed as a Master's thesis, though I do agree it was kind of interesting.

I suppose ChatGPT (and future iterations) will solve all the issues around poor quality research and writing

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:42 AM

The construction management plan has a rendering of this project!

- OCEAN VISTA (2215 GOTTINGEN)
- EC Gottingen Investments is the developer
- 19 floors along Gottingen, 20 floors along Maitland
- The rendering is low-quality but it shows townhouses along Prince William and retail along Gottingen
- A unique corner treatment for Gottingen & Prince William
- 6 months for blasting
- 2 years overall for construction

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The construction management plan has a rendering of this project!

- OCEAN VISTA (2215 GOTTINGEN)
- EC Gottingen Investments is the developer
- 19 floors along Gottingen, 20 floors along Maitland
- The rendering is low-quality but it shows townhouses along Prince William and retail along Gottingen
- A unique corner treatment for Gottingen & Prince William
- 6 months for blasting
- 2 years overall for construction
They really plan to call it Ocean Vista????

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 6:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Del Boca Vista?

Its architecture is not earth shattering but I didn't expect something like this to be built in this area. It'll add some real density, and I think that is needed for an area like Gottingen to be really successful in the absence of people coming in via rapid transit. St. Pat's-Alexandra and around the Trade Mart building could add a lot of density as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Del Boca Vista?

Its architecture is not earth shattering but I didn't expect something like this to be built in this area. It'll add some real density, and I think that is needed for an area like Gottingen to be really successful in the absence of people coming in via rapid transit. St. Pat's-Alexandra and around the Trade Mart building could add a lot of density as well.
Yeah it’s seems ok, everything but the name.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:35 PM

Not super-exciting aesthetics-wise, but not an "oh no" either. That little architectural feature at the corner could turn out to be interesting.

And of course I wouldn't expect anything in a little low-res rendering like this to necessarily be written in stone, but it looks here like four retail spaces along Gottingen, which will be great it it's built that way. It'll continue the fine-grained frontages that have characterized smaller developments on the street in the past few years, despite being quite a bit more massive in other respects.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:28 AM

Overall the rendering looks pretty good to me and will fit in well with other recent developments in that area.

I think the name reflects the fact that other than maybe the townhouse units, it looks like all of the units will have ocean views (at least from the balcony).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:05 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Can't you just basque in the fragrant ocean breeze while feeling the sand under your feet when you read that name? Meanwhile a seagull's call beckons you to the water's edge while the waves lap at your toes.

Perfect name for a building on Gottingen!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:57 PM

Oh, and the rendering looks alright as well. More density where it's needed.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 10:07 PM

Signage on site leads to RoMa Developments.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 10:00 PM

Foundation work started this week;

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth