HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Great attitude.

Just another selfless public servant "working for the people"...
Her response was that nothing will get fine due to people not supporting any money going to professional sports teams.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Her response was that nothing will get fine due to people not supporting any money going to professional sports teams.
My comment comes from the idea that if, as an elected official, you are rolling your eyes because your constituents are not doing what you want them to do, then perhaps you're in the wrong job.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Yesterday I was a guide at Mosaic Stadium for a tour being held for municipal representatives from across Canada. I got to chatting with a councillor from HRM and we got to the subject of the Commons. She just rolled her eyes and muttered that Haligoniens hate to spend money.
Given HRM's profligate and wasteful spending of tax dollars, she would be very wrong. Many HRM citizens decry the wasteful spending done by the municipality. The question becomes one of what is wasteful and what is worthwhile. The HRM taxpayer paid for the councillor to visit the west coast. That is likely wasteful spending. The bike lane overkill on Wyse Rd is also in that category, as will be the Macdonald bridge bike flyover if and when that gets underway. The bloated, expensive HRM bureaucracy that continues to grow unchecked is unsustainable but few citizens seem to be even aware of that waste.

But getting back to the Wanderers Grounds, there have always been some sort of crude spectator seating there in my memory. There also used to be a baseball backstop and IIRC, dugouts. Those were built by the city. I'm not so sure how what is being asked for here is so different. HRM has built several ugly aircraft-hanger styled buildings around the municipality at huge cost to pay homage to the god of minor hockey. They are about to spend $150 million to reconstruct the Halifax Forum to not particularly productive use. That is all surely very wasteful spending. I am not sure why this is such a contentious issue in contrast.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Given HRM's profligate and wasteful spending of tax dollars, she would be very wrong. Many HRM citizens decry the wasteful spending done by the municipality. The question becomes one of what is wasteful and what is worthwhile. The HRM taxpayer paid for the councillor to visit the west coast. That is likely wasteful spending. The bike lane overkill on Wyse Rd is also in that category, as will be the Macdonald bridge bike flyover if and when that gets underway. The bloated, expensive HRM bureaucracy that continues to grow unchecked is unsustainable but few citizens seem to be even aware of that waste.

But getting back to the Wanderers Grounds, there have always been some sort of crude spectator seating there in my memory. There also used to be a baseball backstop and IIRC, dugouts. Those were built by the city. I'm not so sure how what is being asked for here is so different. HRM has built several ugly aircraft-hanger styled buildings around the municipality at huge cost to pay homage to the god of minor hockey. They are about to spend $150 million to reconstruct the Halifax Forum to not particularly productive use. That is all surely very wasteful spending. I am not sure why this is such a contentious issue in contrast.
I don't think this is a contentious issue, actually (unless you are perceiving the thought-exercise counterpoints I provided as 'contention'). This stadium improvement will almost surely go through, and it should. I think most people will want it to.

I shouldn't perhaps have been irked by the (thankfully) unnamed councilor's comments, as they were part of a personal conversation that was shared with this board. I think a councilor's job is to work for his/her constituents, and thus gain perception of their wants/needs (which admittedly would be a difficult thing to do) and advocate for them, rather than roll eyes and basically be disrespectful to them (in attitude, though surely not in public view). That said, as you point out, there is a lot of money being spent on public projects, so perhaps her perception is off. Maybe she is still hurting over the lack of success (so far) of bringing a CFL team to Halifax... who knows?

One thing I will point out about your post is that all the things you mention have been, or will be, built for use of the citizens for amateur sports, or otherwise personal use. I played amateur sports as a youth, and can say that these provide great benefits in terms of physical and mental well-being.

The only issue I can see as being vaguely contentious is that this will be used for professional sports (as I've already covered), but when you consider how many fans gain benefit from attending the games, it's well worth it, IMHO. The Metro ...errr... Scotiabank Centre provides similar benefits, and nobody considers it to be 'contentious'...

I will say that the people involved were very crafty in requesting a "temporary" stadium first, as it probably wouldn't have happened if a full-on ask for a permanent stadium had been made from the start. However, the games have proven themselves popular with the locals, so now is the time to strike while the iron is hot. If sometime in the future the team should fold, Halifax will still have a stadium that could be used for amateur sports (as it always has been) and perhaps entertainment events.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm in Regina and she was in town for the National Municipal Councillors meeting (I likely have the name of conference wrong)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 7:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

The only issue I can see as being vaguely contentious is that this will be used for professional sports (as I've already covered), but when you consider how many fans gain benefit from attending the games, it's well worth it, IMHO. The Metro ...errr... Scotiabank Centre provides similar benefits, and nobody considers it to be 'contentious'...
I think this is a strong point. The Wanderers are already attracting just about as big of crowds as the Mooseheads and are capped at 6500.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 12:48 AM

The Wanderers Grounds taken from the Cyclone helicopter during Saturday’s flyover at the game.

https://twitter.com/HFXWanderersFC/s...88859334582273

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:52 PM

Soccer stadium, Canadian Premier League team might come to Saskatoon by 2024

From community programs to elite soccer and concerts — Prairieland is planning to build an open-air stadium in Saskatoon, which would also be home to a Canadian Premier League franchise team.

The multi-use facility with 5,500 seats is estimated to cost around $28 million total to build, according to Steve Chisholm, board chair of Prairieland.

"We do anticipate that this is a generational facility," he said on Tuesday.

"We're not just building it for the group that's going to be here in the next five years. But we certainly hope that it will expand and grow as well."

The new stadium would have the potential to expand to 8,000 seats in the future, according to the Saskatoon Regional Economic Development Authority's Canadian Premier League soccer stadium economic impact study from 2021.

The proposed site of the stadium is Marquis Downs, the former space used for horse racing in the city.

Prairieland is supporting the project with over $2 million in cash as well as "hundreds of thousands of dollars in staff support," said Chisholm in a news release.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...toon-1.6480979

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 3:23 PM

If you go to the Metro Centre you are going to watch many young athletes who will soon be in the NHL and in the top ranks of ice hockey.
If you go to watch the Wanderers you are watching low skill players. You can watch better soccer games if you go out and watch teenagers on the local pitches.
I don't know how these 'pro' teams survive, the players must be paid a pittance and travel costs today are a nightmare.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
If you go to the Metro Centre you are going to watch many young athletes who will soon be in the NHL and in the top ranks of ice hockey.
If you go to watch the Wanderers you are watching low skill players. You can watch better soccer games if you go out and watch teenagers on the local pitches.
I don't know how these 'pro' teams survive, the players must be paid a pittance and travel costs today are a nightmare.
Cynical much...geeech. What's it to you if they are success? Have you been to a Wanderers game? and its good quality soccer, even if you don't believe it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Generally speaking, 1 or 2 players out of a random QMJHL team might end up in the NHL, many of the rest are lucky if they end up being journeymen in the weaker European leagues (2nd division in Germany or Sweden, ligue Magnus in France etc) that are from a quality standpoint hockey's equivalent of leagues like CPL.

I don't disagree that the relative quality of CPL games isn't that good, but personally I'd take it over QMJHL any day. At least players are being paid, half the roster isn't traded right in the middle of the season, and there's some semblance of atmosphere at the games.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Cynical much...geeech. What's it to you if they are success? Have you been to a Wanderers game? and its good quality soccer, even if you don't believe it.
Yes-3 years ago and 5 years ago I watched the Whitecaps in Vancouver.
Not to mention the fact I went to major grounds in England when I lived there.
Rode the same bus as Ray Wilson when he was going to play on game day. And Bill Shankly lived about 200 yards from me, and me and others played games when he drove over the Pennines when he was managing Liverpool.
Now I use Dazn to watch UK and European games and International tournaments.
And at the age of 14 I played games against 18 year old school kids.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Yes-3 years ago and 5 years ago I watched the Whitecaps in Vancouver.
Not to mention the fact I went to major grounds in England when I lived there.
Rode the same bus as Ray Wilson when he was going to play on game day. And Bill Shankly lived about 200 yards from me, and me and others played games when he drove over the Pennines when he was managing Liverpool.
Now I use Dazn to watch UK and European games and International tournaments.
Because there is more advanced soccer leagues in the world doesn't give us a reason to host and enjoy our own, even at a lower skill level? I'm sorry, but I don't understand your point here.

I felt like there was way more energy at the Wanderers last weekend than even the President's Cup back in 2013

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 11:05 PM

CHL---> Develop top level hockey talent in Canada domestically
CPL---> Develop top level football talent in Canada domestically

Quote:
'The level is going up': International players attest to growth of Canadian Premier League

Yuri Coghe · CBC Sports · Posted: Jun 06, 2022 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: June 6
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/cpl...tial-1.6471812

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Congratulations!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 4:43 AM

Even though I'm not a soccer fan, I can appreciate that it's obviously good entertainment, given the loyal fan base it has achieved. As long as the competition is good, it doesn't have to be world class level to be fun to watch.

I mean, it's Halifax... we've never had a top level professional team in any sport - the population base and the money just isn't here... so I'm not sure why this wouldn't be a good fit for the city.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 1:18 PM
Closed account

I will also say, people don't necessarily watch sports for only the skill. Of course, nobody wants to go out and watch their team lose every week. But the atmosphere plays a big part & from a few pre-pandemic moose heads games vs. the Wanderers games I've seen, it's much more entertaining to be on the field.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 12:50 PM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 2:38 PM

Quote:
The Wanderers Will Pitch A Permanent Stadium To Halifax This Week

The Halifax Wanderers will state their case for a permanent stadium in a city committee on Thursday.

The Canadian Premier League club, which boasts regular sell-out crowds at its temporary Wanderers Grounds stadium, will give a presentation to a Halifax council committee in a bid to move forward on a permanent stadium ground.

Club President Derek Martin, who will be leading the pitch, told the committee that the club has established itself as an important piece of the greater Halifax sports community, but that a pop-up stadium isn’t appropriate for a professional sports team. The club’s contract for the current temporary stadium will expire in 2024.
Read more here:

https://northerntribune.ca/wanderers...ty-pitch-2023/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 6:33 PM

Mayor Mike posted on social media yesterday:

"Great to see spirited Rugby match as part of #FleetWeek in Halifax at the amazing @HFXWanderersFC field." So I can guess how he'll act at the time of a Council vote.

https://twitter.com/MikeSavageHFX/st...26273779814665

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth