HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:23 PM

Crane is on the way up for this one. There are now three cranes on the Dartmouth side of the MacDonald Bridge with a fourth likely on the way soon. Looks nice, I am almost tempted to move to Dartmouth for the bridge fare and traffic savings.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder if there will be any large-scale redo of the whole bridge area on the Dartmouth side to get rid of the giant toll plaza and traffic sewer like road layout and improve the public realm for pedestrians. It does still have to handle a lot of traffic, but it doesn't need to be hideous.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 11:36 PM
Salty Town

I think Wyse Rd. from the bridge to Albro Lake Rd. holds one of the highest, if not the highest, levels of commercial potential in Metro.

Reference Google Maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6727...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6739...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder if there will be any large-scale redo of the whole bridge area on the Dartmouth side to get rid of the giant toll plaza and traffic sewer like road layout and improve the public realm for pedestrians. It does still have to handle a lot of traffic, but it doesn't need to be hideous.
Since the toll plaza has not changed since it was built in the mid-'50s and still looks like an East German border crossing I doubt it. Perhaps if HHB finally wises up with toll technology and just leaves one lane each way for cash we might see some change, but I suspect that is many years away.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 4:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Since the toll plaza has not changed since it was built in the mid-'50s and still looks like an East German border crossing I doubt it. Perhaps if HHB finally wises up with toll technology and just leaves one lane each way for cash we might see some change, but I suspect that is many years away.
Many tolled bridges/freeways around North America now have no cash option. They are based on cameras and you get billed automatically by license plate. If you're driving around with no license plate, well, that's a job for police.

There's at most 2 lanes going in any given direction on that bridge so not many additional lanes are needed around there.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Not that I'm much of a Hortons fan at all, but millions of us seem to be.
As a newcomer to Halifax (and Canada), after 3+ years I still don't get the appeal of Tim Hortons. From the coffee to the food it is just simply awful imho.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2halifax View Post
As a newcomer to Halifax (and Canada), after 3+ years I still don't get the appeal of Tim Hortons. From the coffee to the food it is just simply awful imho.
It's a combination of affordable, generational stickyness/nostalgia (Tim's *was*, at one point, pretty decent!), and location, location, location!

You can find a Tim's on many corners across Canadian cities. Same can't be said for other chains. That presence results in an easy simple default.

And if all you're getting is a double double with doughnut just to get you going, the taste of all that bad coffee is hidden by sugar/cream, so it doesn't matter.

Real coffee can be found in many other places throughout the peninsula, and people know that, but again, convenience!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2halifax View Post
And the drive thrus are such a contributor to global warming.
All drive thrus should be banned.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
And the drive thrus are such a contributor to global warming.
All drive thrus should be banned.
When we're all driving EVs will it be okay with you if we re-open the drive-thrus?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:54 PM

Quote:
When we're all driving EVs will it be okay with you if we re-open the drive-thrus?
You can definitely get back to me at that point in time.
Did you happen to hear when the drive thrus will be closing?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
You can definitely get back to me at that point in time.
Did you happen to hear when the drive thrus will be closing?
I expected it would happen imminently once your opinion was posted here, of course.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:39 AM

As for Tim's, some like it, some don't, it's their choice. Not everybody wants to pay $5 for a coffee, FWIW.

IMHO, the only 'real' coffee is what I brew myself at home, and no sugar or cream will ever interfere with its flavour...

Drive thrus are easy targets as a cause for global warming, whilst we often overlook the big stuff focusing on our pet peeves that we can demonize as being the cause of something bad. Maybe we should just shut down all restaurants/cafes, for all the heat generated to cook food, food waste, etc. They're awful for the planet.

Meanwhile, life is short. Enjoy it while you can.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
IMHO, the only 'real' coffee is what I brew myself at home, and no sugar or cream will ever interfere with its flavour...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:58 PM

Quote:
As for Tim's, some like it, some don't, it's their choice. Not everybody wants to pay $5 for a coffee, FWIW.

Drive thrus are easy targets as a cause for global warming, whilst we often overlook the big stuff focusing on our pet peeves that we can demonize as being the cause of something bad. Maybe we should just shut down all restaurants/cafes, for all the heat generated to cook food, food waste, etc. They're awful for the planet.

Meanwhile, life is short. Enjoy it while you can.
I'm surprised none of the devotees have offered a solution that caters to the trendies: drive-thrus limited to electric vehicles only.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm surprised none of the devotees have offered a solution that caters to the trendies: drive-thrus limited to electric vehicles only.
The devotees will demand a slow rolling recharging implement built in to the drivethru. You know, recharge the car while the human recharges.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 4:28 AM

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 10:57 AM

The promotional blurb on the developer's website is kind of comical, with such gems as "Standing tall at the landing of MacDonald’s bridge" and "Being at a proximity to the bridge".

MacDonald's bridge? Does the writer imagine that the bridge is named after the nearby McDonald's on Nantucket?

Not that it's of any great consequence, but a little editing by someone who speaks colloquial English and has some local knowledge wouldn't hurt.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The promotional blurb on the developer's website is kind of comical, with such gems as "Standing tall at the landing of MacDonald’s bridge" and "Being at a proximity to the bridge".

MacDonald's bridge? Does the writer imagine that the bridge is named after the nearby McDonald's on Nantucket?

Not that it's of any great consequence, but a little editing by someone who speaks colloquial English and has some local knowledge wouldn't hurt.
Asian money, Asian-mangled English, just like the instruction sheet on that Chinese-made device you bought on ebay.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 1:25 PM

Another piece of evidence further convincing me that there are no good building names left in the barrel, so now we are down to using stuff like 'good view', but in another language so it sounds exotic and intriguing (or just strange)...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Another piece of evidence further convincing me that there are no good building names left in the barrel, so now we are down to using stuff like 'good view', but in another language so it sounds exotic and intriguing (or just strange)...

Yeah, and I'm not aware that the developers have any Portuguese connection, either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth