HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I'm certainly seeing developers delay and rethink projects as they digest the implications for their projects of the proposed changes.

I have not done anything resembling an analysis of this one, but I imagine this one will go ahead as-is. The proposed Centre Plan changes for this site allow 40 storeys of height, but only 8.0 of FAR, which is what's already approved through the DA. So the developer could get extra height but not extra floor area - I can't imagine the math would pencil out on doing a building re-design to not gain any extra floor area.
I thought all the CEN-2 zones were having their FARs bumped up to 10? That would be around 37 stories I think (25% FAR increase) so I could see a redesign if so.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egb View Post
I thought all the CEN-2 zones were having their FARs bumped up to 10? That would be around 37 stories I think (25% FAR increase) so I could see a redesign if so.
The write-up on the city's website says that, but the interactive map shows mostly lower FARs. Not sure why the discrepancy; perhaps the map is incorrect?

I'd hate to see these projects further delayed, but it would be pretty hilarious if, after all the whinging from the Friends of... NIMBYs, these buildings got even taller.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
The write-up on the city's website says that, but the interactive map shows mostly lower FARs. Not sure why the discrepancy; perhaps the map is incorrect?

I'd hate to see these projects further delayed, but it would be pretty hilarious if, after all the whinging from the Friends of... NIMBYs, these buildings got even taller.
Oh, I see now, you're right (unfortunately). I looked through the actual map and the details are much less ambitious than the write-up. Very few spots get a FAR of ten despite the write-up saying 'most' CEN zones do. There even looks to be some places that are being down-zoned. The zoning at the corner of Joe Howe and Scot street will shrink to five stories even though they are building an 8 story building there.

A lot more micromanaging than the comms suggests sadly.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egb View Post

A lot more micromanaging than the comms suggests sadly.
HRM Planning micromanaging their policies? I’m SHOCKED, I tells ya, shocked!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 5:05 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I'm sure it's on the developer to return with a new plan on this, but I can't help feel that the city should be doing everything in its power to expedite it, rather than leave a half-started construction site lingering. At the very least, surely there's other work that can be done on this while that specific corner lot with the heritage house is worked out behind the scenes.
The building that Kara's was in has a for lease sign in it's window and Flynn's Dairy bar moved in in the last year. Housing shortage or not - Dexel is in no hurry to develop this site and I am sure they will maximize their return. I don't think it is the city that is holding up this project. They are playing the game - come on "architectural projections" to increase gross floor area. You have to give it to them for creativity, they are playing the long game until they are ready to build. Rentals are paying the taxes and mortgages in
the meantime.

The Quinpool MacDonald's site is their next project. They will need all their forces for Spring Garden West and I would be surprised to see any movement until 2026.

Last edited by Insigne; Jan 29, 2024 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insigne View Post
The building that Kara's was in has a for lease sign in it's window and Flynn's Dairy bar moved in in the last year. Housing shortage or not - Dexel is in no hurry to develop this site and I am sure they will maximize their return. I don't think it is the city that is holding up this project. They are playing the game - come on "architectural projections" to increase gross floor area. You have to give it to them for creativity, they are playing the long game until they are ready to build. Rentals are paying the taxes and mortgages in
the meantime.

The Quinpool MacDonald's site is their next project. They will need all their forces for Spring Garden West and I would be surprised to see any movement until 2026.
I’m talking about the Promenade project, which is in need of a new DA due to the accident with the heritage house last year.

Though re: Spring Garden West, the developer apparently told tenants they'd be out by the end of 2024, which I hope portends a 2025 groundbreaking.

Last edited by Drybrain; Jan 29, 2024 at 2:36 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth