HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
New renderings I believe?

Source: Dexel - Spring Garden West

I like the dark version better too.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 10:10 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Where can we see the full pictures? They just show snippets!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 11:18 PM
Salty Town

I like the black. Perhaps it minimizes the height & bulk. It has a good Boston / Montreal look. I assume the full height is not shown for a reason.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 12:39 AM

I think it looks great. It reminds me of the nearly complete Brooklyn Tower (as far as colour and style - not height).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 7:39 PM

If both this and the Rouvalis development proceed as planned (here's hoping), that's going to be a pretty impressive block.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 3:27 PM

Staff Report for Regional Council regarding this project. Apparently the proposed architectural features make the project not meet certain requirements that were included in the Centre Plan adoption. There are some new renderings included.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Staff Report for Regional Council regarding this project. Apparently the proposed architectural features make the project not meet certain requirements that were included in the Centre Plan adoption. There are some new renderings included.
That looks decent. I see the Promenade blocked in as future development, but what is the box further down Spring Garden, approx where Summer Gardens is, listed as future development?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 10:57 PM

Along with this, there is also a big report at council next week about where the rapidly rising homeless population can live. Sadly I have very little hope that anyone will grasp the link between delaying a development yet again because some windows stick out too far and the sad reality that there are not nearly enough homes for people in this city to live in.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egb View Post
Along with this, there is also a big report at council next week about where the rapidly rising homeless population can live. Sadly I have very little hope that anyone will grasp the link between delaying a development yet again because some windows stick out too far and the sad reality that there are not nearly enough homes for people in this city to live in.
Not just that, but I note that the developers initiated this application 8 years ago and have still been unable to proceed. This latest decision just gives the Peggy Camerons of the world yet another opportunity to make allegations and disparage the project and the developers. It is simply ridiculous.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
My first thought, when I saw these images, was that this looks like it's right out of Gotham City...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 12:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quite a change for the neighbourhood. Having gone to Dal Med, I know this area well.

Halifax is moving to the next level development wise........

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 4:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

If and when this block is rebuilt as planned I think it will be one of those little step changes that suddenly makes the city feel bigger. The towers will bring a lot of new residents and you'll see them down Spring Garden Road, Coburg, or Robie. That feel of the main commercial areas being steps away from underused lots and low density development is going away.

If Robie eventually becomes a medium to high density corridor connecting Spring Garden Road to Quinpool and North/Young that will make the city feel much larger.

The downside around this area is there are a lot of tower-in-park developments and government-owned empty lots. I've heard Dalhousie is suffering from a major student housing shortage but they still have some large surface parking lots and the municipality doesn't like to allow new highrises around the university campuses. People freaked out about the 30 storey proposal on Inglis St by SMU; that would have been more living space than all the tents now popping up around town.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Quite a change for the neighbourhood. Having gone to Dal Med, I know this area well.

Halifax is moving to the next level development wise........
Well after getting stuck in mid afternoon traffic yesterday near this very spot , perhaps some element of that next level is already here.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 1:18 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

It would be my hope that Spring Garden/Coburg could be our Mini Yonge St. Minus the mall, and traffic somehow.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 6:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
It would be my hope that Spring Garden/Coburg could be our Mini Yonge St. Minus the mall, and traffic somehow.
It's not a perfect match but the equivalent of Yonge is something like Barrington-SGR-Coburg, with Barrington being more like the southern part of Yonge and SGR being more like the College-Bloor stretch and environs. The decline of the lower part of Yonge Street and Barrington and the types of developments (urban renewal efforts and transition to a "CBD") have some parallels.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 12:37 AM

Hello again! Came here to see if there was any discussion about this development in advance of its public hearing.

Well, the most recent DA for Case 20218 has been approved as of tonight! Anyone thing its actually going to get built at 30 storeys? I don't see why it would without the additional 10 storeys in the draft changes of the Center Plan amendment. Anyway - there is a question for discussion. Now I'll disappear for another couple years hahah!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian Laing View Post
Hello again! Came here to see if there was any discussion about this development in advance of its public hearing.

Well, the most recent DA for Case 20218 has been approved as of tonight! Anyone thing its actually going to get built at 30 storeys? I don't see why it would without the additional 10 storeys in the draft changes of the Center Plan amendment. Anyway - there is a question for discussion. Now I'll disappear for another couple years hahah!
I’ve been wondering about this—will the imminent changes cause a hiccup or slowdown in building starts as developers furiously retool their project to be just a little bit bigger?

Also mentioned at the meeting was the Promenade project, which will apparently still need to return to council with a revised development agreement. Given that the heritage house accident happened nearly a year ago, and there’s been no forward movement since then (publicly anyway) I’m starting to get a bit concerned about the future of that one.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I’ve been wondering about this—will the imminent changes cause a hiccup or slowdown in building starts as developers furiously retool their project to be just a little bit bigger?

Also mentioned at the meeting was the Promenade project, which will apparently still need to return to council with a revised development agreement. Given that the heritage house accident happened nearly a year ago, and there’s been no forward movement since then (publicly anyway) I’m starting to get a bit concerned about the future of that one.
I'm certainly seeing developers delay and rethink projects as they digest the implications for their projects of the proposed changes.

I have not done anything resembling an analysis of this one, but I imagine this one will go ahead as-is. The proposed Centre Plan changes for this site allow 40 storeys of height, but only 8.0 of FAR, which is what's already approved through the DA. So the developer could get extra height but not extra floor area - I can't imagine the math would pencil out on doing a building re-design to not gain any extra floor area.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I'm certainly seeing developers delay and rethink projects as they digest the implications for their projects of the proposed changes.

I have not done anything resembling an analysis of this one, but I imagine this one will go ahead as-is. The proposed Centre Plan changes for this site allow 40 storeys of height, but only 8.0 of FAR, which is what's already approved through the DA. So the developer could get extra height but not extra floor area - I can't imagine the math would pencil out on doing a building re-design to not gain any extra floor area.
I'm sure it's on the developer to return with a new plan on this, but I can't help feel that the city should be doing everything in its power to expedite it, rather than leave a half-started construction site lingering. At the very least, surely there's other work that can be done on this while that specific corner lot with the heritage house is worked out behind the scenes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth