HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Whoops.
Hey, it can happen to anyone.

Acknowledging it just shows you're a stand-up guy.

Sorry; sometimes I just can't resist.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:46 PM

I have a ton of insight on both of these developments (and a fair share of design opinions as well).

It's primo space for density and will indeed be striking to walk down Coburg and cross Robie to suddenly be flanked by new 90m+ towers running down the street. My concern if it creates a "hole in the teeth" kind of stretch once you arrive at the public gardens. Density with large gaps always feels disconcerting to me.

Anyone interested if I make a 3D model of all of these towers, including the 2 two approved Killam towers, for everyone to see on one huge context model? Seems like the kind of audience that would enjoy something like that.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian Laing View Post
Anyone interested if I make a 3D model of all of these towers, including the 2 two approved Killam towers, for everyone to see on one huge context model? Seems like the kind of audience that would enjoy something like that.
SSP is definitely the forum to post something like that. Go for it!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
I would certainly love to see that.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 6:10 PM

I'd love to see more modeling of the city for sure.
What approved Killiam towers are you referring to? I know they nixed their approved tower at Carlton Terrace and are instead going for two smaller buildings on opposite sides of Carlton St but they have not yet been made public?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I'd love to see more modeling of the city for sure.
What approved Killiam towers are you referring to? I know they nixed their approved tower at Carlton Terrace and are instead going for two smaller buildings on opposite sides of Carlton St but they have not yet been made public?
I don't know where Carleton Terrace is, but I was under the impression they are still keen to build something behind Spring Garden Terrace. They have cleared space for work crew and rumour has it they are building a parkade beside the graveyard on Carleton street.

The other development I believe (again, not 100%) is being proposed off of spring garden across the street from Spring garden Terrace. I'll be looking through all the proposals carefully soon and can give a more confident update. Hope that helps!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:08 AM

Quote:
I don't know where Carleton Terrace is, but I was under the impression they are still keen to build something behind Spring Garden Terrace. They have cleared space for work crew and rumour has it they are building a parkade beside the graveyard on Carleton street.

The other development I believe (again, not 100%) is being proposed off of spring garden across the street from Spring garden Terrace. I'll be looking through all the proposals carefully soon and can give a more confident update. Hope that helps!
Of note is Killam's June 2021 investors report. https://killamreit.com/sites/default...n_June2021.pdf

Pg. 36 goes into some detail of their future development pipeline. Of note in Halifax there is:
Carlton East & West (Assuming this is 2 buildings) 2024 planned completion
"Hollis st" 2025 planned completion. I'm not sure what this one is or where it could be but it's 90 units to be completed 2025
There is also a TBD for "Medical Arts" Unsure where that could be here in Halifax and is to be 200 units.

Pg. 26 notes that they have spent $10,200,000 acquiring land in Halifax & Charlottetown for development.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
"Hollis st" 2025 planned completion. I'm not sure what this one is or where it could be but it's 90 units to be completed 2025
Killam owns 1325 & 1335 Hollis Street. They are registered heritage properties (Gate-Young House and Rupert George House) but there is vacant land behind and between them for a modern infill project.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Of note is Killam's June 2021 investors report. https://killamreit.com/sites/default...n_June2021.pdf

Pg. 36 goes into some detail of their future development pipeline. Of note in Halifax there is:
Carlton East & West (Assuming this is 2 buildings) 2024 planned completion
Wow, living up to the name! Thanks DN!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 7:53 AM

I'd guess the Medical Arts Building is this one here, near Spring Garden & Summer: https://goo.gl/maps/Z7exbUZg6vpoBJnu7

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I'd guess the Medical Arts Building is this one here, near Spring Garden & Summer: https://goo.gl/maps/Z7exbUZg6vpoBJnu7
Yes, that's definitely it - been there many times.

I've been thinking for decades what a prime development spot it was. Glad to see something's finally going to happen there.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Jul 14, 2021 at 10:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Yes, that's definitely it - been there many times.

I've been thinking for decades what a prime development spot it was. Glad to see something's finally going to happen there.
This must be the massing that shows up in the background for "future development" in some of the renderings for Spring Garden West.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I meant Spring Garden Terrace.
They had an 16 storey building approved as an addition in the back of the building close to the graveyard. They have since deregistered that development agreement and have the two projects mentioned above. One will be attached to Spring Garden Terrace and the other will be across on the other side of Carlton St. My understanding is they are in the midrise category.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who purchase the small 3 storey professional building on the other side of Spring Garden Road that also has a large parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who purchase the small 3 storey professional building on the other side of Spring Garden Road that also has a large parking lot.
Yup, Killam does seem to own that one (the Medical Arts Building). The parking has Killam signs.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder if this one is really 90 m. 90 m "maximum height" reference in the drawings does not match the roof height: https://cdn.halifax.ca/sites/default...20Drawings.pdf

Another minor question is where you set the ground level and for HRM planning purposes I think it is an average for the ground floor, not the lowest point. In this case that only makes a difference of 1 m or so.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 1:19 PM

New renderings I believe?

Source: Dexel - Spring Garden West

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
New renderings I believe?

Source: Dexel - Spring Garden West

Wow looks incredible imo. This will really transform the west end of spring garden and the perspective of robie st looking south.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 1:53 PM

1. I really preferred the original proposal (below), which felt light and welcoming; this feels dark and top-heavy, with a bit of an '80s corporate office plaza vibe. The SGR facade looks to me like it may turn out overly imposing and monotonous.

2. I do wish that the new façade would incorporate one or two of the old historic facades, both to inject more variety into the street interface and for a little injection of heritage interest. (This building on the right, in particular, has retained a level of detail that I think merits restoration and inclusion--its scale and ornamentation is more impressive than most of its era.)

3. Aesthetic reservations aside, I'm eager to see this move ahead.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
1. I really preferred the original proposal (below), which felt light and welcoming; this feels dark and top-heavy, with a bit of an '80s corporate office plaza vibe. The SGR facade looks to me like it may turn out overly imposing and monotonous...
I happen to like the darkness - I feel like it's a change from current developments elsewhere in the city, and I feel like it's sexy... but it's only a personal opinion, and I understand where your reservations are coming from.

Quote:
... 2. I do wish that the new façade would incorporate one or two of the old historic facades, both to inject more variety into the street interface and for a little injection of heritage interest. (This building on the right, in particular, has retained a level of detail that I think merits restoration and inclusion--its scale and ornamentation is more impressive than most of its era.)...
I think the street would have benefitted from a little more variety - whether from preservations of facades or some other measure... I'd agree with you here.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:15 PM

I think the new dark renderings will look better alongside The Promenade development next door. This is going to be quite the block once both projects are done. I wonder if both have the same construction schedule

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth