HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egb View Post
I imagine in 5-10 years as Robie/Young gets more built out and the BRT line is in place (it feels reasonable to assume that'll happen), you'll see a 'midtown' hotel or two but 21 stories worth of hotel around Isleville/Bilby feels like a lot right now. Who knows!

On another note, it feels like there isn't much in the works in this area now that Richmond Yards is nearing completion. Some small stuff to be sure but nothing large.
On the one hand it does feel like a lot of hotel space for a slightly random residential area. On the other hand, there are a whole bunch of hotels out in places like Dartmouth Crossing and Bayers Lake, which from many visitors’ perspectives is probably less desirable.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
On the one hand it does feel like a lot of hotel space for a slightly random residential area. On the other hand, there are a whole bunch of hotels out in places like Dartmouth Crossing and Bayers Lake, which from many visitors’ perspectives is probably less desirable.
Yep. If it ends up being a hotel it won't be a bit outlier compared to hotels were built in suburban areas in the 90's. It is becoming a nice part of town to stay in, and some people like more of a neighbourhood feel than they would get downtown. I could see more crackdowns on airbnbs too.

One problem in Halifax is that the inner city is growing to the point where there are places worth visiting that are an awkwardly long distance apart for walking, and the transit is not great (especially for a visitor unfamiliar with an area and without a routine). In a city with better transit they would be 1 or 2 stops apart on LRT or a subway. This kind of function of transit tends to be underappreciated compared to long distance commuting.

It's a bit concerning that a lot of the "interesting" projects that stand out are exceptions to the Centre Plan. A lot of the density and height limits already seem undersized, and there isn't much allowance for variety on a block-by-block or lot-by-lot level.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egb View Post
I imagine in 5-10 years as Robie/Young gets more built out and the BRT line is in place (it feels reasonable to assume that'll happen), you'll see a 'midtown' hotel or two but 21 stories worth of hotel around Isleville/Bilby feels like a lot right now. Who knows!

On another note, it feels like there isn't much in the works in this area now that Richmond Yards is nearing completion. Some small stuff to be sure but nothing large.
I can't see Bilby getting a hotel. The current owner has stated they got the permit to show the potential of what could be built.

In terms of the future of MidTown/Bloomfield there's a few projects on the horizon;

1) Bloomfield School - Owned by Banc Group who has at least four active major projects underway (Lock Suites, Interchange, Elevation, and Margaretta). Two should be completed this winter opening up resources. Most likely site to see activity next in this area.

2) Shopper's Drug Mart - Once they move into Richmond Yards this could move quickly. The rumoured new home is in excavation right now. It'll be a couple of years out minimum. Owned by Westwood who is developing Richmond Yards and The Mills right now.

3) Robie and May - Owned by WM Fares but status is questionable at least in part due to the transit reserve. My best guess is they may buy up the buildings next door that HRM is demolishing and revamp their plan. They could start up anytime though provided the land issue is resolved.

4) 2688 Robie (HalCraft Printers) - Source says 10 floors/60 units. Could start work anytime.

The other potential sites that we have no specifics on or long quiet are;

Clifton Recycling
2732 Agricola
Young and Demone

Most if not all of these projects are in CEN-2 zoning which allows for the most density on the peninsula. None would be Richmond Yards size due to smaller lots but all would certainly help the area have more of a MidTown vibe.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
All that aside there's huge development potential along Robie north of Almon. FWIW if it were up to me I would divide that block into pieces similar to the path going through Richmond Yards and would put in something taller with some setback from Robie. I would leave it up to developers to figure out what is economical but 40-50 storeys would not be unreasonable.
Supposedly a large number of workers died at the Dominion Textiles place that became Pierceys. I wonder if that has something to do with why the area was never really developed, since people probably had no desire to live there.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijoma View Post
Supposedly a large number of workers died at the Dominion Textiles place that became Pierceys. I wonder if that has something to do with why the area was never really developed, since people probably had no desire to live there.
It probably has more to do with the fact the property was an original Oil refinery before the Feds built IMPEROYAL in Eastern Passage. I imagine the modern remediation methods might not be an adventure the Bragg Family would want to explore.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Those are both regional retail hubs that people travel long distances to visit. Billy and Isleville are not that.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's a bit concerning that a lot of the "interesting" projects that stand out are exceptions to the Centre Plan. A lot of the density and height limits already seem undersized, and there isn't much allowance for variety on a block-by-block or lot-by-lot level.
With the Province’s move to involve itself in HRM development approvals I don’t know if something that would not comply with the Centre Plan restrictions could nonetheless receive approval. Would be an interesting test.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:44 PM

I could see a hotel in these areas working. From an outside perspective they're not that far from things.

The Young and Robie area is going to take a little while to pop off, but when it does it's going to be a massive transformation. There's lots of work that needs to be done in terms of servicing upgrades before more development of any scale can happen there. BUT, the foundational work is currently being done in terms of servicing studies, the BRT plan and land acquisition, secondary planning for the Canada Post super block, and internal planning by landowners.

I've seen some initial plans for various components of "Uptown" Halifax and it's incredible what's being planned. I'm guessing 10 years before major redevelopment. In the meantime, we'll see some incremental improvement like the HalCraft proposal.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post

I've seen some initial plans for various components of "Uptown" Halifax and it's incredible what's being planned. I'm guessing 10 years before major redevelopment. In the meantime, we'll see some incremental improvement like the HalCraft proposal.
Well don't leave us hanging. What is the incredible?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Well don't leave us hanging. What is the incredible?
I always thought if it wasn't for the Canada Post Facility would be a great location for a stadium.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
... Bilby and Isleville sts are hardly desirable hotel locations.
Strikes me as odd too... but there is the Brewery Park hotel on Agricola that is close to both... and the Commons Inn (used to be the King Edward) further south on Agricola that is a bit tired, but has been around for a while.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I can't see Bilby getting a hotel. The current owner has stated they got the permit to show the potential of what could be built.

In terms of the future of MidTown/Bloomfield there's a few projects on the horizon;

1) Bloomfield School - Owned by Banc Group who has at least four active major projects underway (Lock Suites, Interchange, Elevation, and Margaretta). Two should be completed this winter opening up resources. Most likely site to see activity next in this area.

2) Shopper's Drug Mart - Once they move into Richmond Yards this could move quickly. The rumoured new home is in excavation right now. It'll be a couple of years out minimum. Owned by Westwood who is developing Richmond Yards and The Mills right now.

3) Robie and May - Owned by WM Fares but status is questionable at least in part due to the transit reserve. My best guess is they may buy up the buildings next door that HRM is demolishing and revamp their plan. They could start up anytime though provided the land issue is resolved.

4) 2688 Robie (HalCraft Printers) - Source says 10 floors/60 units. Could start work anytime.

The other potential sites that we have no specifics on or long quiet are;

Clifton Recycling
2732 Agricola
Young and Demone

Most if not all of these projects are in CEN-2 zoning which allows for the most density on the peninsula. None would be Richmond Yards size due to smaller lots but all would certainly help the area have more of a MidTown vibe.
Thank you for this summary! Your knowledge of what's going on is outstanding btw

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The Young and Robie area is going to take a little while to pop off, but when it does it's going to be a massive transformation. There's lots of work that needs to be done in terms of servicing upgrades before more development of any scale can happen there. BUT, the foundational work is currently being done in terms of servicing studies, the BRT plan and land acquisition, secondary planning for the Canada Post super block, and internal planning by landowners.
One limiting factor for higher order transit in Halifax is that there aren't very many higher density transit-friendly areas outside of downtown. This is true even in some areas with lots of highrises. But Young and Robie could eventually become a major node worthy of significant service. The area between Cogswell and North is getting denser too. The urban fabric around Gottingen or Agricola is comparable to many areas that have subway stops in large cities, but you wouldn't see a subway line built to connect 3 stops.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 3:29 AM

Sorry for the six month absence in photos everyone! I was having a lot of technical issues in the spring with getting photos onto my blog. I ended up giving up and left it for a few months. It is hard to put up with the frustration especially when it's just a hobby. An email I received recently though put me back into a better spot. One of my older photos will be in a local social studies textbook. The payment I received helped encourage me to take a few photos on my walk today starting with the mysterious hotel;

PS I make no guarantees that the blog will remain active. The link and Tumblr worked perfect today but I doubt that will last forever.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 5:17 PM

Quote:
The payment I received helped encourage me to take a few photos on my walk today starting with the mysterious hotel;

The extra few storeys on this really make it pop—from a distance there’s a little skyline developing here. I keep marvelling at the rapid change around here, which really started coming together very noticeably this summer. The King Street extension through Richmond Yards opened recently, and though it looks a little barren now with the empty planters, and the overall November greyness, it looks quite decent. We’ll still see how well-used it is once everything is wrapped up, of course.

Even the pretty minor North Station frontage along Clifton has turned out nicely, IMO. This whole neighbourhood is increasingly unrecognizable, very much for the better.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the six month absence in photos everyone! I was having a lot of technical issues in the spring with getting photos onto my blog. I ended up giving up and left it for a few months.
As a frequent user of your blog, I'm glad to see it back to life! I hope you can keep it running. I particularly like the fact that I can see at a glance the evolution of buildings from start to finish.

As an aside, have you considered migrating the blog to a more robust platform? I know that Wordpress for example has a migration tool that should make the process relatively straight forward.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2halifax View Post
As a frequent user of your blog, I'm glad to see it back to life! I hope you can keep it running. I particularly like the fact that I can see at a glance the evolution of buildings from start to finish.

As an aside, have you considered migrating the blog to a more robust platform? I know that Wordpress for example has a migration tool that should make the process relatively straight forward.
Echoing the enjoyment of the blog, and also happy to help with anything technical if things are getting in your way. Plenty of good options out there but I understand it can be a pain to work through that if this is a hobby. Feel free to DM if you are comfortable with help from a fellow forum user!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 3:08 PM
Cap the Cut!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 3:32 AM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 4:04 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth