HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The church down the street (St. Theresa's) is a beautiful edifice that like so many other Catholic churches these days is in dire need of repair with no business case to do so and so sits empty, unused, and decaying. That is on a large lot which seems to be heading towards an inevitable sale. That would be an incredible site for a development that would hopefully be designed to leave some of the open space around the building that currently exists and incorporate some of the original stonework on the church building. I saw a news story recently where the neighbors are already starting the "Too TALL!!!" chant even though no concepts have been released.
I really hope Saint Theresa's does not get torn down, but a new development here would be constrained by the "insitutional" zoning. Even under the proposed accelerator fund zoning changes, this lot would only be approved for an 11-metre building.

A developer could probably make the case to rezone it, but realistically it wouldn't go beyond eight storeys max, which would be perfectly fine, IMO, for this lot.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:29 PM

Too tall!? Do these people know they live 5 mins from downtown?
I was thinking of the church on the corner. North Street gospel hall.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I really hope Saint Theresa's does not get torn down, but a new development here would be constrained by the "insitutional" zoning. Even under the proposed accelerator fund zoning changes, this lot would only be approved for an 11-metre building.

A developer could probably make the case to rezone it, but realistically it wouldn't go beyond eight storeys max, which would be perfectly fine, IMO, for this lot.
Isn't all existing zoning tossed in the trash can once HRM decides to grab the federal cash in the HAF? Institutional should be the first to go as opposed to wrecking existing single-family home neighborhoods.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth