HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not sure how new this is, but the Brandon Town Centre is on the market. $6,795,000 takes it. (This has DaveFromSt.Vital written all over it!!)

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...er-ave-brandon

It's been a couple of years since I've been through it, but it was very quiet in there... a far cry from when The Bay and Eatons were still inside, and it functioned as Brandon's main shopping centre.
LOL - Unfortunately, I think I will be taking a pass on this opportunity to begin "righting the asset"

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 5:16 PM

Niverville's new rec centre has opened up. The highlight is a new arena which will be home to that town's new MJHL team which starts play in 2022.

According to the news article, the arena's seating hasn't arrived but should be coming soon. Apparently the arena holds 750 spectators with the ability to add a few hundred more, although it doesn't say exactly where.

https://nivervillecitizen.com/news/s...-in-niverville

Click the link to the news story to see pictures of the inside... they are too big to post here.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 5:21 PM

If that wasn't enough, here's even more Niverville news for you. Niverville is getting a Blue Crescent Hotel with a - wait for it - waterpark. It will have 75 rooms and it will be the chain's fourth location and third in Manitoba after the original in Rivers and one under construction in Carman.

https://nivervillecitizen.com/news/l...verville-hotel

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
If that wasn't enough, here's even more Niverville news for you. Niverville is getting a Blue Crescent Hotel with a - wait for it - waterpark. It will have 75 rooms and it will be the chain's fourth location and third in Manitoba after the original in Rivers and one under construction in Carman.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 5:52 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
go away sam

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 6:18 PM

bahahaha

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 3:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Niverville's new rec centre has opened up. The highlight is a new arena which will be home to that town's new MJHL team which starts play in 2022.

According to the news article, the arena's seating hasn't arrived but should be coming soon. Apparently the arena holds 750 spectators with the ability to add a few hundred more, although it doesn't say exactly where.

https://nivervillecitizen.com/news/s...-in-niverville

Click the link to the news story to see pictures of the inside... they are too big to post here.

Carbon copy of the East End arena main rink in Transcona (inside)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:19 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Parking variance approved for apartment complex in Millbrook Market (Steinbach).

https://steinbachonline.com/local/pa...llbrook-market

Last edited by LilZebra; Jul 14, 2021 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Parking variance approved for apartment complex in Millbrook Market (Steinbach).

https://steinbachonline.com/local/pa...llbrook-market
Parking stall-unit ratio is down to 1.49/unit from required 1.72/unit

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 5:01 AM

Work has started on the new HyLife HQ

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 7:04 PM

After twelve years of planning, Steinbach's new arena got the green light today as governments committed funding for the project. The rink will have 2,500 seats which is double the amount of the existing arena and the second largest capacity in the MJHL after Selkirk.

https://steinbachonline.com/local/at...e-in-steinbach

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 7:06 PM

$40 million dollar project. Should be nice.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 7:14 PM

^ Yeah, and Steinbach has grown enough over the years that they could make good use of it. They have a well-supported MJHL team but the existing rink is old and small (I don't think the ice is even regulation size), and the town is big enough to attract some concerts and other significant events.

I also love the fact that they're putting it right downtown by the existing rink instead of building it way out on the edge of town the way that many smaller communities often tend to.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
^ Yeah, and Steinbach has grown enough over the years that they could make good use of it. They have a well-supported MJHL team but the existing rink is old and small (I don't think the ice is even regulation size), and the town is big enough to attract some concerts and other significant events.

I also love the fact that they're putting it right downtown by the existing rink instead of building it way out on the edge of town the way that many smaller communities often tend to.
I live ~1 block from it, hopefully it will be a property value booster, but with that comes tax increases as well...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:55 PM

Quote:

Could the WHL ever be viable in Steinbach?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It's funny that you mention that as I was thinking the same thing. I have no idea what is going on with the Winnipeg ICE's new arena plans now that things have fallen through with The Rink in the RM of Macdonald, but I was wondering if the ICE might be better off locating in one of the surrounding towns instead of trying to make a go of it in the Wayne Fleming Arena which is basically a MJHL level barn.

Steinbach's new rink will have 2,500 seats which is not that far off from WHL arenas in smaller markets like Swift Current and Prince Albert. You put a WHL team in a place like that and suddenly it becomes a big deal, a WHL team in a place like Steinbach or Selkirk would be like their Jets.

The trouble is that all those towns near Winnipeg with rinks big enough to handle the WHL at least on a temporary basis (Selkirk, Portage, soon Steinbach and Niverville) all have MJHL teams so you can't park the ICE there without killing the MJHL team which is obviously not ideal.

I suspect the ICE are using a totally different playbook, though, and I'm not sure what exactly they are doing. I filled out the form to buy ICE season tickets and no one has gotten in touch with me. Judging by the attendance in their first season, it's not like they have some massive number of accounts to deal with. Meanwhile hardly a month goes by where I don't have someone from TNSE calling or e-mailing asking if I want Moose season tickets, Jets ticket packages, etc. It's all really weird.

But if you take the ICE out of the equation and look at it from the standpoint of whether Steinbach could eventually support a WHL team, I'd say that the answer is yes. If not now, then soon. It's already about the same size as Swift Current and growing fairly quickly. There are also a lot of communities nearby which bolster the number of residents. I guess the issue is that the new rink is probably not being built with the WHL in mind for the long term. It might work on a temporary basis, but look to Moose Jaw for an example of what a new WHL rink looks like.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Probably not even with Steinbach now pushing 20K, smallest city in the W is Swift Current and they have trouble with attendance, next smallest city was Cranbrook and that team now resides in Winnipeg!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Probably not even with Steinbach now pushing 20K, smallest city in the W is Swift Current and they have trouble with attendance, next smallest city was Cranbrook and that team now resides in Winnipeg!
The difference between Steinbach and Swift Current is that Steinbach is growing quickly and surrounded by towns that are growing quickly, and it has a city less than an hour away. As compared to Speedy Creek which is in kind of a dust bowl surrounded by cattle ranches and not much else.

If the Vancouver Giants could move to Langley, then it's not hard to imagine the Winnipeg ICE playing out of Steinbach. But I wouldn't bet on it... like I said, the ICE do not seem to be using a conventional playbook.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 2:12 PM

Some snippets from today's SteinbachOnline article regarding the SEC:

It was over 25 years ago that the city council of the time began purchasing lots in downtown Steinbach for a future project. At the time, they didn’t even know what the project would be.

"Conceptual design is at a place where we can consult the community and get some input now and move forward through detailed design and engineering and I think that phase is usually 4 to 6 months and I think we can be in a position by this time next year, or two months earlier, to start construction."

Deputy Mayor Michael Zwaagstra spoke at Monday’s funding announcement noting the magnitude of the Southeast Events Centre.

"Just to put some things into perspective, how large a project is this? How big a deal is this? The largest project that the City of Steinbach has done to date is our secondary water treatment plant at $11M. This is about four times that. This is off the scale."

https://steinbachonline.com/local/lo...g-announcement

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 12:20 AM

Are there any renderings for the new arena / huge complex that they will be building in Steinbach?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan