HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 4:08 PM

Remember that growth and development don't happen along a speeding car or a speed train for that matter. Growth will only happen along each stop or "hub" and spread out radially. Having the line on Main St will encourage street level growth and fill vacant buildings with businesses and people. What could possibly be better for the city?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 4:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I agree to a point, but we've already looked into the THB line here last year and it was deemed impossible due to the freight that still uses the line.
It sounds like an off-the cuff idea that was tossed out with no knowledge of studies that have already taken place.
I was chatting with one of the Metrolinx people last night and he specifically said that it can't be combined with freight, it does seem bizarre how that ever got on the table.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:03 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Remember that growth and development don't happen along a speeding car or a speed train for that matter. Growth will only happen along each stop or "hub" and spread out radially. Having the line on Main St will encourage street level growth and fill vacant buildings with businesses and people. What could possibly be better for the city?
Totally agree, but having wandered around the city these past weeks, am more convinced both should be on Main.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

Perhaps Metrolinx envision removing GO Trains from the current GO Station to James St North and replacing the current GO Station with the main East-West LRT stop/station.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:16 PM
Closed account

According to the gentleman I spoke to, the plan is to split GO service between Hunter and LIUNA because Hunter can't handle the capacity their envisioning.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 8:53 PM

Agreed Omro, both LRT directions along Main would be great for the downtown!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 2:35 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
Soon we'll be begging for scraps while Toronto gets all sorts of goodies and treats.
Wrong its the 905 taking the big chunks of this. Toronto and Hamilton will be left with the scraps.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 4:03 AM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
According to the gentleman I spoke to, the plan is to split GO service between Hunter and LIUNA because Hunter can't handle the capacity their envisioning.
According to one of the Metrolinx reps I was talking to he said that when they split the Go service between Hunter and LIUNA, LIUNA line would be the one used to get folks down to Niagara Falls...they envision extending Go Transit service down to the Falls area in the future.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 4:09 AM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Ryan - Thanks, I'm ok but mega pissed that it happened when it did. I can't believe we had as many people as Toronto.

Regarding the toronto situation, I would not hold that against them, in fact I'm floored that we are potentially getting two LRT routes as part of their scheme. And trains every 5 minutes - that's better than Paris has anywhere in their interurban network. Toronto IS the centre of the universe as far as their mandate extends.

What Hamilton will gain from this 25 year plan is the boost it needs to develop it's own resource pool to function as a sub-centre within the GTA. With a solid base of educated people and diverse business and industry, development as a transportation hub will follow. We can't be a transportation hub when a third of us have to commute out of town for work.
Actually, we can be a transportation hub if you consider that in the future its quite possible that cities like Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph to our West as well as St.Catharines and Niagara Falls to our East may be a part of the Metrolinx. One of the Metrolinx reps was telling me last night that the folks down in St. Kitts and Niagara want in on these talks with Metrolinx but so far they've been excluded.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
Wrong its the 905 taking the big chunks of this. Toronto and Hamilton will be left with the scraps.
Seconded, although reluctantly. Toronto is getting a pretty large chunk even still.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure