HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: East/West LRT through the Downtown, should it:
Have both east/west tracks on Main 27 69.23%
Have both east/west tracks on King 1 2.56%
Have one track on Main and one track on King 10 25.64%
Have both tracks on a different east/west road 3 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 3:33 AM

Yeah, you think all those people in cars aren't carrying cargo with them? Maybe need to be on a set schedule, or go to another city in a moment's notice? Maybe they're on delivery, or don't want to deal with the occasional nasty on the bus? Snap back to reality, as Eminem might say.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
Got that right.
And welcome to the board Crhayes.
Regarding LRT, I agree that it would be ideal to have both east/west bound rails on the same street, and I initially thought that Main would be the best street. However, I have changed my mind. I think that it would be idea to run on main street from eastgate to the Delta, then cross over to King street through downtown to Gore Park. It would continue down King and around Paridise onto Main (like the B-Line bus now does) and cross infront of the University.

They are talking about turning Gore back into a pedestrian friendly, 'social' area, and having LRT running through Gore would significantly increase the number of people travelling through there.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 4:20 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
Regarding LRT, I agree that it would be ideal to have both east/west bound rails on the same street, and I initially thought that Main would be the best street. However, I have changed my mind. I think that it would be idea to run on main street from eastgate to the Delta, then cross over to King street through downtown to Gore Park. It would continue down King and around Paridise onto Main (like the B-Line bus now does) and cross infront of the University.

They are talking about turning Gore back into a pedestrian friendly, 'social' area, and having LRT running through Gore would significantly increase the number of people travelling through there.
It would be rather tricky crossing vehical traffic at the delta though. I have mentioned in another post, that Hamilton is strangely laid out in certain areas. And I mentioned as well, the Queenston traffic circle will also be a tricky area to deal with.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 4:57 AM

Yeah looking at the layout on google maps, it would definitely be easier going all the way down Main street. Either way, Gore Park should really be incorporated into the LRT plan, especially if they plan on making it the 'social' center of the city.

I know this is crazy...but I think crazy is what Hamilton Needs....

What if they did something like this:
They brought the LTR all the way from Eastgate down Main street as planned. Right to the west of Catharine (between Main and King) there is a big parking lot (beside Taphouse).... after the LTR passes Catherine it makes a 90 (northward) through the parking lot (yes...conversion of one downtown parking lot!), makes a 90 onto King South (westward) , travels down King South to Hughson, makes a 90 onto Hughson (southwards) and then finally a 90 back onto Main (westwards). This would mean converting Hughson to a railway line/pedestrian only street (at least between King and Main), but being at Gore Park every day on my way to Mac Hughson is ALWAYS dead anyways.

With this conversion of Hughson King South from John to James could then be made pedestrian only, with an LTR rail included.

Now what to do with this new pedestrian only area is another topic, but I have ideas for that as well. Save those for another day

What do you think?

Last edited by crhayes; Oct 15, 2008 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 3:33 PM

Hughson could definitely be turned into a pedestrian street between King and Main.

edit: sorta kinda; delivery trucks and things like to service the banks there.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Yeah, you think all those people in cars aren't carrying cargo with them? Maybe need to be on a set schedule, or go to another city in a moment's notice? Maybe they're on delivery, or don't want to deal with the occasional nasty on the bus? Snap back to reality, as Eminem might say.
What is reality? A 5 lane expressway where most vehicles are single-occupancy commuters? If half those people in the traffic jam yesterday would bother to carpool, they would have all been home in half the time.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 3:54 PM
Closed account

yea, those cars are carrying cargo alright. mcdonald's cups, hortons bags, oh yea and ONE PERSON PER VEHICLE.
A bus equals much more than 20 cars. I don't feel sorry for single occupancy car drivers for a split second. They've done enough damage to our city and society.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
What is reality? A 5 lane expressway where most vehicles are single-occupancy commuters? If half those people in the traffic jam yesterday would bother to carpool, they would have all been home in half the time.
So they're all going to the same place and are on the same schedule?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 4:51 PM

Construction gridlock slows Hamilton traffic
TheSpec.com

John Burman

Commuters coming into Hamilton from the west end of the city or off Highway 403 eastbound face long delays due to construction.

Resurfacing and sidewalk work has Main Street West cut down to two lanes east of Dundurn Street South all the way to Hess Street.

Dundurn Street itself is not really an option to get around the delays because the turn lanes at Main Street West have been closed for the construction, causing delays for north and southbound traffic

The work began Tuesday morning, causing massive backups west of Dundurn Street as far as Longwood Road and slowed the Main Street ramp from Highway 403 to a crawl.

Motorists eastbound on 403, assuming the delay was due to a collision, left the highway at Aberdeen Avenue and tried to head north on Dundurn Street only to find the turn lanes at Main closed.

The construction should be finished toward the end of next month

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 4:57 PM

solution: get off at York Blvd or Aberdeen. Might as well use the alternate expressways for their intended purpose while they're still around.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 11:11 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Anymore votes?

Come on, you know you wanna!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 11:17 PM
Closed account

I tried the Aberdeen route. I swear I was moving back in time. Avoid at all costs.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 11:22 PM

I was thinking about it, I think it would be better to have one route on King and one on Main.

The ultimate would be to have both on one street, but if they are to make dedicated LRT lanes I think it would be too much to take away two lanes from King or Main.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 11:31 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
I was thinking about it, I think it would be better to have one route on King and one on Main.

The ultimate would be to have both on one street, but if they are to make dedicated LRT lanes I think it would be too much to take away two lanes from King or Main.
And I totally disagree, which I've stated repeatedly. I won't go through them all again, there is a large post of mine earlier on explaining my point of view, if you want to go back in the thread and read it.

If you put one lane of LRT on King, you will NEVER get two way conversion on that street in the downtown as the road is too narrow in places to support it. Or you will never get a separate line on King or Main, you'll always be stuck with the single B line, however in the future you could get the B line on Main and a whole new line on King. Who knows.

Ultimately, if people are going to do a decent LRT, it needs to be two-tracks, each way, on the same street. Keep it simple and sensible people, please

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
And I totally disagree, which I've stated repeatedly. I won't go through them all again, there is a large post of mine earlier on explaining my point of view, if you want to go back in the thread and read it.

If you put one lane of LRT on King, you will NEVER get two way conversion on that street in the downtown as the road is too narrow in places to support it. Or you will never get a separate line on King or Main, you'll always be stuck with the single B line, however in the future you could get the B line on Main and a whole new line on King. Who knows.

Ultimately, if people are going to do a decent LRT, it needs to be two-tracks, each way, on the same street. Keep it simple and sensible people, please
Two tracks each way on the same street would pretty much be all of main street, which means they would be guaranteed to share the lanes with cars regardless. I think they should try and make dedicated LRT lanes, so that transit is actually FASTER and not subject to being stuck in traffic.

But then who knows. If the streets were converted to two way I have no idea what the traffic would be like. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 12:26 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Two tracks each way on the same street would pretty much be all of main street, which means they would be guaranteed to share the lanes with cars regardless.
Not quite sure how you think it would take up "pretty much all of main street" - have you seen LRT in action up close recently?

I've seen the trams in Manchester and Nottingham (in the UK) within the last couple of months and believe me, they don't take up *that* much space at all!!

LRT takes up no more than one lane per direction.

If you put both directions on the same street, the LRT will actually probably take up only one and three-quarter lanes, because the LRT tracks can be tightly packed, as the trains can pass close by each other (as they are on a fixed rail).

Main is FIVE lanes. So I think you're a little mistaken there.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 12:45 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I tried the Aberdeen route. I swear I was moving back in time. Avoid at all costs.
??? explain. I use Aberdeen all the time.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 2:46 AM

Uh oh .. maybe one of you will accuse the other of being drunk??

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:29 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
??? explain. I use Aberdeen all the time.
When Main is down to one or two lanes, Aberdeen as an alternate is a disaster. It would probably be faster to stay on Main.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:29 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Uh oh .. maybe one of you will accuse the other of being drunk??
Touche.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure