HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 3:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

HSR Strike?

Transit union to ask for strike mandate

John Burman
The Hamilton Spectator
(Nov 10, 2007)

Contract talks between Local 107 of the Amalgamated Transit Union and the Hamilton Street Railway have broken off.

Shortly after the latest two days of talks ended last night, Local 107 president Budh Dhillon said the union leadership will now go to its membership to ask for a strike mandate.

Dhillon said the talks reached an impasse over various working condition items.

No date has been set for the union membership meeting which Dhillon expects to arrange over the weekend.

Hamilton bus drivers, mechanics and support staff in the local strongly rejected the HSR's contract offer last month, with 94.5 per cent voting to reject the offer. Present for the vote were 509 of the 610 members of the unit.

No date has been set for a strike.

The last transit strike in Hamilton began in November 1998 and ended three months later. Talks broke off between the HSR and Local 107 on Oct. 9 and resumed again Thursday before ending last night.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 4:31 PM
Hammer'd

Uh oh.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 6:11 PM

That's fantastic... both sides are bickering at the expense of holding the actual customers of the service hostage.

The HSR isn't as reliable as it should be as it stands right now. It doesn't run everywhere in the city and the schedules aren't great. Now this could be their 2nd strike in 9 years... no wonder why people would rather drive in this city.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 4:30 AM

I really hope they don't strike, I take the bus every day. I have an alternative though, a strike could hurt a lot of people really bad. I imagine some people would have to spend nearly as much on cab fare as they make working.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 4:55 AM

The thing with strikes in places like Hamilton is that they can go on for a while, and it does not get that much attention, because there is not a large number of choice riders.

Most HSR riders are captive, and well the strike can go on for three months, and most people would not care, because it only affects like 8% of the population or something.

Lets hope they don't strike. Strikes are never good for a transit systems ridership.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 6:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

I hope a deal is made. I know most of the problem is with the working conditions but the city should say something like "by the end 2008 we'll have a new downtown terminal and it'll help improve working conditions". Plus give the wage increase.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 1:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton bus strike looms as talks fail

The Hamilton Spectator
(Nov 12, 2007)

The threat of a bus strike, not seen in the city since 1998, is still hanging over Hamilton.

Local 107 of the Amalgamated Transit Union is expected to ask its membership for a strike mandate sometime this week.

Talks with the Hamilton Street Railway broke off last Friday after no agreement was reached over various working conditions.

Budh Dhillon, president of Local 107, said that he was unable to confirm a union assembly over the weekend.

Dhillon said yesterday that his union hasn't received any calls from the HSR to set up new talks.

Hamilton bus drivers, mechanics and support staff in the local strongly rejected the HSR's contract offer last month, with 94.5 per cent voting to reject the offer. Present for the vote were 509 of the 610 members of the unit.

No date has been set for a strike.

The last transit strike in Hamilton, declared in November 1998, lasted three months. Talks broke off between the HSR and Local 107 on Oct. 9 and resumed again last Thursday before ending the following day.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 12:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Transit workers in favour of strike

Daniel Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator
(Nov 15, 2007)

The city and its transit union will return to the bargaining table tomorrow after transit workers overwhelmingly endorsed a strike mandate.

Members of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 107 voted 97 per cent in favour of a strike yesterday.

Local 107 president Budh Dhillon spoke to a mediator after results of the all-day voting were tabulated last night at about 8:30 and he said the city has agreed to meet tomorrow.

The union represents about 600 Hamilton Street Railway bus drivers, mechanics and support staff. Dhillon estimated more than 500 members came out to vote and he was extremely pleased with the turnout.

"I feel strong now seeing the result from our membership and showing their solidarity and support for their negotiating team," he said. "I believe the employer will take this seriously. I'm very much optimistic and everybody will be pushing the employer ... to deal with these guys."

City officials were meeting behind closed doors last night and couldn't be reached for comment.

Dhillon is hoping the city will move from its last offer, which was rejected last month by 94.5 per cent. If it makes a final offer, he said that will be taken to the membership before a strike happens. He wouldn't speculate on a time-frame, but said the public can be assured buses will be running normally tomorrow. "If there is no new offer ... we will decide to take the next step. We are authorized by the membership (to call a strike). A strike is a last resort. It's not a pleasant thing to happen, but sometimes it has to happen to get things done."

The union says the impasse is over wages and the establishment of a downtown washroom.

The last transit strike began in November 1998 and lasted three months.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 1:01 PM
Closed account

amazing...we can spend half a billion for an 8-km road, but can't give bus drivers a place to take a leak.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 2:59 PM

"Transit workers in favour of strike"

Why is anyone in favour of a strike? Everyone should be in favour of AVOIDING A STRIKE. This headline is either completely messed up or the workers actually have an ulterior motive of wanting the winter "off". My guess is the former...

The drivers can use my bathroom if they like :-)

This discussion shoudl bring to the forefront the need for a proper downtown terminal where buses stop, drivers have their facilities and people can transfer lines with minimal walking

AHEM-hunter street-AHEM

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 4:34 PM
Closed account

yup...time to get the terminal going. mind you, Infusions might lost a ton of business without the drivers going in there all the time!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

HSR closer to a strike

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - Bus drivers, mechanics and support staff with the HSR are one step closer to walking the picket lines.

Members of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 107 have voted 97 percent in favour of strike action.

They've been working without a contract for almost a year.

Local 107 president Budh Dhillon says working conditions and wages are the biggest issues.

Union leaders and city officials will meet with a provincial mediator on Friday morning at 9 o'clock to restart negotiations.

Dhillon says buses will be running on Thursday and Friday, but if contract talks go south once again, the weekend may be a different story.

The last transit strike in Hamilton was in 1998, and lasted three months.

For more details on this story, click on the Feature Interviews section of our homepage, and listen to Rick Zamperin's interview with Local 107 president Budh Dhillon.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:48 PM
Closed account

it's not looking good. you've got two groups who don't give a damn, so the outcome is obvious. i feel for the drivers but they shouldn't be allowed to strike. it's an essential service, in my humble opinion. stupid city.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yes I believe transit drivers should be essential service.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 12:08 AM

If they wind up going on strike, then I won't support LRT or any public transit in this city. Screw 'em. If it's not important enough to avoid a strike, then public transit in general isn't important to them.

Public transit is unreliable... cars are the only way to go in this city.
This confirms that the Red Hill Expressway was a smart move afterall.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 12:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

Today on CH they mentioned about HSR drivers wage around $24 an hour and then a few more clips later on they talked about Ontario doctor's wage which is $30.75 an hour.

God I can't believe doctors make only $6 more an hour compared to drivers.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 12:35 AM
Closed account

That's prolly what they (Dr's) get to take home after they have to pay: insurance, office rentals, equipment, etc
Plus... how reliable of a source is CH? Did they get their info from CNN's Jeanie Moss?

And I dunno if it was just me recently, but my drvrs have been EXTRA rude lately.
Last night I said good night to my driver lady TWICE. Think she responded? No... what's up w/ that!?
And then today, on my way to work, I was on an Express. And he waited at Main/John (for no reason) for 5 mins!! No jokes!
Then he would stop b4 every express stop (like b4 the light) and wait 2-3mins b4 proceeding to let the passengers at the stop on!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 1:14 AM
Closed account

some drivers are friendly but it's the rude ones we remember. last time i was on the bus the driver screamed at a couple passengers. the bus was crammed and they couldn't get off and then had to ask to driver to open the doors again. it was a shit show. to be honest, i'd probably be a jerk too if i had to do that job everyday, so i won't hold it against them. i will be pissed if there's a strike, though. don't do it, dudes...and dudettes!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Today on CH they mentioned about HSR drivers wage around $24 an hour and then a few more clips later on they talked about Ontario doctor's wage which is $30.75 an hour.

God I can't believe doctors make only $6 more an hour compared to drivers.
That's per appointment, which are 5 per hour. HOWEVER You're probably correct in saying they don't take home much more as they have huge overheads(Secretaries/Nurses/Medical Assistant/Office Rental + Utilities + Supplies etc.) to pay plus higher taxes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:12 AM
Closed account

I don't know how much doctors make compared with bus drivers, but I know 4 bus drivers and I know half a dozen doctors.
Let me tell you, the doctors are living a completely different lifestyle than bus drivers....homes, cars, non-stop trips down south etc.... unless doctors are just incredible at budgeting and bus drivers suck at it, something isn't jiving with these stats.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure