HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:13 PM

Gunn is decently busy and only getting busier with all the houses going up right there.

The traffic lights suck, but ya safer than people having to dart across and wait in the median. Provide feedback that the Province should install a two lane trumpet interchange, which accounts for future twinning and extension of CPT across the floodway.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 5:48 PM

The challenge with building a grade separation for Gunn Rd right now it depends on the CPT extension and HWY 15 relocation projects, both of which have not confirmed their alignments. You sort of need all those pieces in place first, or at least CPT through to 207. Also the floodway bridge scenario suggests at that location, where ever it ends up, will see the Perimeter as the over route. The current traffic volume on Gunn Rd would support a simple diamond with capacity for full ramps at a later date.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:53 PM

For clarity there are no plans to build anything. It's not Hwy 15 relocation though. Hwy 15 is what it is. The new crossing is basically a highway to Oakbank and then on eastward from there. CPT is designated as a trade corridor in relation to CentrePort. Once traffic get to the perimeter, they go south to #1.

The right of way going west along Gunn is clear. The new bridge will go across the floodway in a perpendicular manner. They're not going to angle it. And there big berms along the floodway already. So putting Gunn over seems reasonable. There's hydro lines to deal with though, both sides of the floodway.

So there's really a limited location for it to go. The alignment to the east, best spot would be along the quarter line where there are no homes out to 206.

They talk about doing a study similar to the South Perimeter. They wouldn't build an interchange without figuring out these details. The Province can expropriate the land if they need to. Done deal. It's likely a long ways out in the future anyways.

Something like this. Trumpet or diamond interchange. If they want, swing it northside of Oakbank. Could go further south too. Either way I think the floodway crossing location is pretty clear.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 8:17 PM
Back from the dead

Our great grandchildren will be arguing about whether or not Gunn Road should have any particular style of interchange to deal with their brand new highway to Oakbank.

This city and province have waited 60 years to get in to the 1950's. I don't think it's worth our time to even think about what should be done.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 8:51 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Our great grandchildren will be arguing about whether or not Gunn Road should have any particular style of interchange to deal with their brand new highway to Oakbank.

This city and province have waited 60 years to get in to the 1950's. I don't think it's worth our time to even think about what should be done.
Can't wait to see how the 50s look on Winnipeg.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
For clarity there are no plans to build anything. It's not Hwy 15 relocation though. Hwy 15 is what it is. The new crossing is basically a highway to Oakbank and then on eastward from there. CPT is designated as a trade corridor in relation to CentrePort. Once traffic get to the perimeter, they go south to #1.

The right of way going west along Gunn is clear. The new bridge will go across the floodway in a perpendicular manner. They're not going to angle it. And there big berms along the floodway already. So putting Gunn over seems reasonable. There's hydro lines to deal with though, both sides of the floodway.

So there's really a limited location for it to go. The alignment to the east, best spot would be along the quarter line where there are no homes out to 206.

They talk about doing a study similar to the South Perimeter. They wouldn't build an interchange without figuring out these details. The Province can expropriate the land if they need to. Done deal. It's likely a long ways out in the future anyways.

Something like this. Trumpet or diamond interchange. If they want, swing it northside of Oakbank. Could go further south too. Either way I think the floodway crossing location is pretty clear.
The alignment you have in Oakbank is bang-on. Look at the planning docs for the RM of Springfield and you'll see that there is a road allocation at that exact mile road.

Hwy 15 doesn't need realignment. Hwy 15 will likely remain a 2 lane road as-is and Gunn rd to Oakbank will be a 2 lane road to serve those residents, greatly reducing traffic demands on Hwy 15 and Garven road.

Last edited by WildCake; Mar 23, 2021 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

To be fair I'd say the Perimeter is probably at least built to a late 60s standard, maybe even early 70s if you want to be generous.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
To be fair I'd say the Perimeter is probably at least built to a late 60s standard, maybe even early 70s if you want to be generous.
The curbs along the median in the left hand lane give it a 1930's touch, seriously who ever put curbs on a high speed route anywhere else?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:39 PM

I think the planning document actually shows it on the same, straight alignment as Gunn. There is a Hydro corridor along the alignment that I showed.

They won't build the bridge on a skew like that though. More expensive and complex to keep the piers following the floodway flow. They'd do a bit of an S curve just on the east side of the floodway, and build the bridge perpendicular to the floodway, like all the other crossings. Either way, seems like issues that can be sorted out fairly easily.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The curbs along the median in the left hand lane give it a 1930's touch, seriously who ever put curbs on a high speed route anywhere else?
Ha. Too true. A motorist on the Long Island Parkway circa 1921 would definitely feel at home on the modern day Perimeter with those curbs.

Now that you mention it, I wonder why they haven't been removed yet? Is there another 4-lane divided 100 kmh highway in Canada that has curbs like that?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:48 PM

They'll be removed eventually as the projects get done. Median widening is planned for the South Perimeter and I assume the North Perimeter will get the same treatment.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ha. Too true. A motorist on the Long Island Parkway circa 1921 would definitely feel at home on the modern day Perimeter with those curbs.

Now that you mention it, I wonder why they haven't been removed yet? Is there another 4-lane divided 100 kmh highway in Canada that has curbs like that?
I'm curious how many severe accidents they have caused over the years, imagine hitting one at 100KM/PH!

I've been all over the Canada, US and Europe and have never seen anything as asinine!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They'll be removed eventually as the projects get done. Median widening is planned for the South Perimeter and I assume the North Perimeter will get the same treatment.
Yeah, I'm glad it's finally getting addressed. It's just surprising that it took this long.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 6:27 PM

A tender just closed today to add left turn lanes in both east west directions of PTH 101 on to Wenzel. Grade separation is a long way off.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
A tender just closed today to add left turn lanes in both east west directions of PTH 101 on to Wenzel. Grade separation is a long way off.
I don’t get it they’re already turning lanes. They should have curved merge lanes like they do in Saskatchewan. They look like an interchange merge lane but they’re coming off the dirt road at an angle gradual. They should be doing that here. I read something about a concrete curb? What is with this province and putting curbs on a high speed highway...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I don’t get it they’re already turning lanes. They should have curved merge lanes like they do in Saskatchewan. They look like an interchange merge lane but they’re coming off the dirt road at an angle gradual. They should be doing that here. I read something about a concrete curb? What is with this province and putting curbs on a high speed highway...
Ha... the irony.

We have a city that loves to put slip lanes on urban streets like Osborne and Main so traffic can carry on without stopping (sorry pedestrians), and a province that forces 90 degree turns on rural highways without turning or acceleration/deceleration lanes unless the situation is way too dangerous to remain that way.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 7:14 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Ha... the irony.

We have a city that loves to put slip lanes on urban streets like Osborne and Main so traffic can carry on without stopping (sorry pedestrians), and a province that forces 90 degree turns on rural highways without turning or acceleration/deceleration lanes unless the situation is way too dangerous to remain that way.
Yeah instead of focusing energy on improving traffic conditions where it can actually be effective and not disruptive to the urban fabric, they're like "interchange and Archibald and marion" "set backs on Osborne for future widening" "destroy the streetscape on st Mary's for traffic" "grade separate bishop grandin and other suitable candidates? What are you nuts?"
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 7:29 PM

Maybe it's acceleration lanes. There's already turn lanes. Unless they're separating them like say Highway 12 near Steinbach. Or the new left turns on Sterling Lyon at Waverley. I wonder if they'd put up traffic lights fairly soon then. Seems like it's getting set-up for that.

Those Saskatchewan intersections that look like diamonds still have left turn lanes in the medians.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 8:46 PM

https://imgur.com/XZjLuDq

I don't know how to do this. This is the best I could do.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
https://imgur.com/XZjLuDq

I don't know how to do this. This is the best I could do.
They're putting in all this effort and still not putting turn on lanes?? At this rate they might as well put up lights right aways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan