HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 9:45 AM
Bamboo Tiger

Taipei (Mucha) Cable Car

The stations are not very inspiring, but I suppose they're a bit better than some of the current designs of the Mucha MRT line.

POMA Press Release:

Taiwan: An ARIANA 8 gondola lift in Taipei

Are gondolas becoming a must-have in urban transport systems? This is a legitimate question since, after Medellin, now Taipei has selected an ARIANA 8 gondola with tropicalized DIAMOND cabins to link the Zoo subway stop in the Maokong district with the zoo and the residential areas around it. POMA is building this exceptional installation in collaboration with Chun Yuan, a major local construction company. This gondola lift will comprise five sections, four intermediate terminals, 145 cabins and two cable loops. It will be 4 kilometers long, transporting 2400 passengers per hour at 6 meters per second.

current status: under construction
revenue service: 11/06

animation: http://ncp.tcg.gov.tw/ncp/intra/data/940621.wmv

Last edited by Coyett; Sep 25, 2006 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 2:41 PM
Utopia Society

i thought this thread is about beitou!?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 5:16 PM
Bamboo Tiger

I changed my mind!

To ease your sense of disappointment I've included a map of the Beitou proposal.

Project: Beitou Gondola
Length: 4.8 km
Elevation : 200 - 1200m
Capacity: 2400 p/h
Construction: May 06 - June 07

Last edited by Coyett; Jun 12, 2006 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 6:37 PM
Our world, our village.

anyhow both proposal maps are interesting and impressive, thx for sharing...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 3:23 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Last edited by Coyett; Oct 24, 2006 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 11:23 AM
ùH

bump

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 3:42 PM
Bamboo Tiger

The cars on the Maokong line have been installed and are currently undergoing testing. According to the China Times the line will be operational before the end of the year.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 6:33 AM
Bamboo Tiger

Maokong cable car set to start service in February

AN ENGINEERING FEAT: The cable car system was built and installed by POMA, a French company, and has five sections, six intermediate terminals and is 4km long

By Mo Yan-chih
STAFF REPORTER
Saturday, Dec 16, 2006, Page 2

The Maokong cable car system, a municipal project aimed at developing tourist and recreational potential in the Muzha (木柵) area, entered its test-run phase yesterday and is scheduled to start operation in February.

The cable car, which travels between Maokong (貓空), a popular destination for tea-tasting, and Taipei Municipal Zoo, is also designed to ease traffic over the mountain and shorten traveling time to Maokong to about 13 minutes.

According to Lee Shu-chuan (李四川), director of the New Construction Department at the Taipei Bureau of Public Works, the Maokong cable car is the only cable car system in Taiwan that runs completely in a mountain area, and so public safety was a major concern during the construction.

"The completion date keeps being delayed because the nine-month test run period can't be shortened," Lee said yesterday during the launch ceremony of the test run period at the cable car's Taipei Zoo Station.

The cable car system was built and installed by POMA, a French company, and has five sections, six intermediate terminals, 145 cabins and two cable loops. The line is 4km with a capacity of 8 passen-gers per cabin, transporting 2400 passengers per hour at 6m per second. A one-way ticket will cost NT$50 (US$ 1.50), Lee said.

Attending the launch ceremony, Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) expressed regret that he would not see the completion of the one-year project before leaving the city government on Dec. 25.

"But I hope that the operation of the cable car will help to develop the recreational industry and bring prosperity to the southern area of the city," Ma said.

The New Construction Department planned to finish the project before Ma finished his eight-year term by the end of this month to add one more construction to his municipal achievements, but the French company insisted that the nine-month test run period could not be shortened.

Although the cable car passes through attractions including the zoo, Maokong and Chih-nan Temple (指南宮), Lee said the department was striving to develop more attractions around the area.

Taipei Times

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:52 AM
Bamboo Tiger

TRTC commissioned by City Government to run Maokong gondola

Taipei City press release

The Maoakong Area of Taipei’s Muzha’s District is a popular destination for people to drink tea, and enjoy the tea gardens, the flowers and the beautiful nighttime views. The Taipei City Government has built the Maokong Gondola to improve access to the area, and in the initial phase has commissioned the TRTC to operate this service. The gondola travels a distance of 4,030 km and has four stations at which passengers can embark and disembark: the Taipei Zoo Station, Zoo Precinct Station, Zhinan Temple Station and Maokong Station. There are also two ancillary stations where the gondola changes direction. These are also used to control the movement of the gondola and are not for passenger use. The drive train system is produced by the French company POMA. It travels at a speed at 6m/s and each gondola takes eight people. The gondolas are made of aluminum alloy and the system can carry a maximum of 144 gondolas at one time, a total of 2,400 passengers each hour in one direction. The shortest journey on the gondola is 14.28 minutes. The gondola system is also associated with Taipei Zoo, and gondola tickets can be purchased at the Zoo Precinct Station. There is also a free shuttle bus from this station to many attractions around the zoo or to connect with the Taipei Zoo tour bus.

Last edited by Coyett; Jan 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 4:08 AM

article about maokong cable car in a govt. travel magazine:

http://english.taipei.gov.tw/web/upl...5011240711.pdf

some pics:

Last edited by Razqal; Jun 13, 2007 at 4:48 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 1:29 AM

^^ looks great. is it in service yet?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 7:10 AM

i think the cars are too small. looks more like a recreational ski lift at a ski resort. the bigger the car the better.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
i think the cars are too small. looks more like a recreational ski lift at a ski resort. the bigger the car the better.
i think they r just the right size. i don't like them too big.. i m pretty tight

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoPro View Post
i think they r just the right size. i don't like them too big.. i m pretty tight
bian tai.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 2:14 AM

Quote:
bian tai.
bian tai this

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:23 AM
extroverted geek

Looking good, it looks like it is using a Pininfarina design similar to the Ngong Ping 360 in HK.

Speaking of that.......*shudder*

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
Looking good, it looks like it is using a Pininfarina design similar to the Ngong Ping 360 in HK.

Speaking of that.......*shudder*
ya do you know how that cable car in hk just "dropped"? did something just break off or did it swing around and just fall off the cable? that's scary, considering taiwan also has earthquakes. and typhoons.

Last edited by Razqal; Jun 20, 2007 at 10:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 6:09 PM

Inauguration of Maokong cable car set for July 4

Officials attempt to assauge public fears over threat of lightning striking system

Central News Agency
Page 3
2007-06-23 01:05 AM

The long-expected Maokong cable car system is scheduled to be inaugurated for commercial operations July 4 if the system passes a battery of tests and checks, Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) said yesterday.
Hau made the announcement at a meeting of the city's Bureau of Transportation, held to review the progress of the cable car project.

According to the operator, the Taipei Rapid Transit Corp., the cable car will run from 9:00 a.m. to 22: 00 p.m. on weekdays, and will begin operations a half hour earlier on weekend and holidays, in accordance with the opening hours of the Taipei Zoo, one of the cable car terminals.

In a report on operational drills of the cable car system, which runs from the popular Taipei Zoo to Muzha's Maokong tea-production area, TRTC officials said at the meeting that thunder storms in Muzha were the greatest challenge facing the new transportation system.

When thunder strikes, all 144 cabins of the cable car system must stop running and all passengers be evacuated as soon as possible. This is particularly troublesome as it is difficult to accurately predict thunder storms, the officials said.

To address this problem, the TRTC has consulted with the Taiwan Power Company on how to detect the occurrence of lightning strikes and the movement of thunder storms, while planning to purchase a lightning detection system, the officials said.

In an attempt to assuage public concerns over the cable car safety, Yang Hsi-an, deputy secretary-general of the city government, said passengers in the cabin will not be affected by thunder storms because the cable care system is equipped with lightning conductors.

According to the city officials, ticket prices for the Maokong cable car line, which will have four stations, have been set at NT$30, NT$40 and NT$50. There is also a "One-Day" ticket available for NT$250 which may be used multiple times in a 24-hour period.

Ticket prices will be reviewed and adjusted 18 months after the cable car system's inauguration, officials said.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 6:19 AM
extroverted geek

Quote:
ya do you know how that cable car in hk just "dropped"? did something just break off or did it swing around and just fall off the cable? that's scary, considering taiwan also has earthquakes. and typhoons.
They still don't know why that happened, it's very mysterious.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 11:15 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan