HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
I was walking downtown this morning and noticed a lot of heavy construction equipment at the site of the abandoned steel on State street (which is now gone). Does this mean the new 14-story hotel/apt is starting construction immediately?

Also, does anyone out there know when the groundbreaking for Liberty Sky will take place?
Per Boyer's website, groundbreaking for Liberty Sky is set for Spring 2019. I haven't heard anything different.

http://www.boyercompany.com/project/liberty-sky/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
I was walking downtown this morning and noticed a lot of heavy construction equipment at the site of the abandoned steel on State street (which is now gone). Does this mean the new 14-story hotel/apt is starting construction immediately?

Also, does anyone out there know when the groundbreaking for Liberty Sky will take place?
Once the site is cleared, it will be appraised for sale. Once the sale is finalized work shouldn't bee too far behind. They should be working on the final designs for the project soon.

This is the 255 South RDA project.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguisize View Post
Great work today FutureMayor
I wanted to 2nd this.

Hopefully next time goes even better.

For those that are wondering what this is about, FM was trying to fill the District 4 City Council seat. To respect his anonymity, I won't say which one is FM. You can see the public process here: https://www.facebook.com/slcCouncil/...4454696699700/ The public portion starts at 53 minutes.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:08 PM
SLC Lifer

Fleet block study, rfp

UDA's Fleet Block guidance was rolled out. Mayor's office says RFP in Q1 2019.

LINK

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:10 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I wanted to 2nd this.

Hopefully next time goes even better.

For those that are wondering what this is about, FM was trying to fill the District 4 City Council seat. To respect his anonymity, I won't say which one is FM. You can see the public process here: https://www.facebook.com/slcCouncil/...4454696699700/ The public portion starts at 53 minutes.
Anna Valdenmoros was selected. She's super sharp and will do a great job. Small business owner and really engaged.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 6:07 PM

https://www.ksl.com/article/46475554...-estate-market

Labor shortage could impact strong Utah commercial real estate market

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — After a dramatic climb over the past several years, analysts say Utah's strong commercial real estate market could take a hit from a lack of available qualified labor needed to meet the ongoing demand.

Speaking Thursday at the 2019 National Association of Industrial and Office Professionals Commercial Real Estate Symposium in downtown Salt Lake City, the executive director of investment for Newmark Grubbs ACRES said the state has experienced double-digit growth in the amount investors are willing put into local development projects.

"We've set all-time records of sales volumes in the last five years," said Bryce Blanchard. "This year, we were 44 percent higher in the number of transactions and dollars spent on Utah commercial real estate than 2017 — which was already a previous all-time high."

He noted that the trend upward began after the market hit "the bottom" in 2009, in the wake of the Great Recession. Since then, investment has increased annually, he said.

"We've had consistent growth in our market now going on 10 years," he said. "It's been a 10-year run of appreciation, of transaction volume increases, of pricing increases (and) absorption — all across the board in commercial real estate."

He said the upward trend is expected to continue for the foreseeable future based on the state's strong economic fundamentals.

"Utah right now is leading the country in population growth (and) we're also double the national average of job growth," Blanchard said. "Those two drivers create the desire for people to build real estate (and) absorb real estate. Those are significant factors of the growth metrics of our community."

He said most of the commercial investment money is coming from out-of-state investors.

'Headwinds' coming
While a decade of robust growth is something to be optimistic about, there may be some "headwinds" coming, including rising interest rates, global economic unrest and the U.S. trade conflict with China.

"There are some 'bogeys' out there that could take a little bit of the exuberance out of the marketplace, but we live in a world of cycles," he said. "The nice thing about Utah is we are economically resilient because of the diversity of our economy."

He said having various strong industry sectors to rely on for economic growth helps the state from falling too swiftly during a down cycle.

Fortunately, the local market is robust, construction is booming, and growth is fast, said Josh Caldwell, director of Business Development for Big-D Construction.

While growth is good, it is having a major impact on labor, project performance and the cost of construction, he said.

Finding manpower to meet demand
He said due to the negative impact of the economic downturn in 2008, the construction industry is still fighting to find the manpower needed to meet the continuing demand.

"While the industry as a whole has bounced back, the workforce has been notably diminished," he said. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the construction workforce went from a high of about 11.7 million in 2005 to 10.8 million in 2010, which dwindled to 10.2 million in 2016, he said.

In the meantime, the U.S. population continues to grow — an estimated 9.4 percent increase from 2005 — resulting in greater demands in housing, office space, healthcare facilities, and hospitality.

"Simply put — there are plenty of construction jobs available, but not enough workers to fill those jobs," Caldwell said.

In addition, the cost of construction materials is also increasing, he said. Since late 2017, materials costs have been rising rapidly — at a 6.6 percent rate from October 2017 to October 2018, he said. Meanwhile, labor costs have also picked up, rising 3.8 percent in the past year.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Jay Evensen: Should the people be allowed to overturn city planning decisions? - https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...decisions.html
I am not much of a populist and with that I am not a real big fan of regular referendums. I don't like having tons of them on the ballot. I believe representative democracy is a better form than direct democracy. I think they have a place when clearly the electorate wants something that their elected officials refuse to vote for (i.e. medical marijuana). I would make it much harder to challenge developments, but would require cities and developers to works together to verify that their development can be handled by existing infrastructure or at least the city has a plan to address the issue through impact fees, etc. The Cottonwood development was completely appropriate for that area, but NIMBY's had their day and won. People are mostly okay with high density, but I think they only want it in marginal land in industrial areas or along very large roads like Redwood.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
UDA's Fleet Block guidance was rolled out. Mayor's office says RFP in Q1 2019.

LINK
Wow. This is an underwhelming proposal. Townhomes occupying 1/4 of the block? Really, this is the highest and best use of the block?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Wow. This is an underwhelming proposal. Townhomes occupying 1/4 of the block? Really, this is the highest and best use of the block?
For Salt Lake, I call this ambitious. Besides, it'll be ten years before anything happens beyond hypothetical.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 6:51 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
It's called design by committee and it's a specialty of SLC owned things. Everybody gets a little pet project. Walkable this, low-income that, arts this etc. Then those people move on or are replaced by the voters. Then the new people come in with their own agendas, then we do design by committee again. Rinse, repeat for decades. Like the Station Center and west Gateway, how many design commissions have touched that one? The best thing they could do is sell all of their parcels and get out of the way. I don't expect anything to be actually built for fifteen years. Look at Marmalade.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 4:25 AM

Quote:
What do you think the best use of the space is? There are plenty of opportunities to provide high-density housing throughout Salt Lake City, and that will continue to happen. A city is so much more than that. I like that this seems to put the focus on providing incubation space for small business and live/work units. It looks like the intent is to create a community space within Central Ninth. I also like that it breaks up the huge block with full mid-block pathways. Not everything has to be high-density housing, and in fact I would prefer that megablocks of apartments stay away from Central Ninth. That is a neighborhood of unique character in Salt Lake City.

But this is simply a proposal. There is a lot of time for details of this block to change, especially considering how ungodly glacially slow everything moves in Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 6:22 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
What do you think the best use of the space is? There are plenty of opportunities to provide high-density housing throughout Salt Lake City, and that will continue to happen. A city is so much more than that. I like that this seems to put the focus on providing incubation space for small business and live/work units. It looks like the intent is to create a community space within Central Ninth. I also like that it breaks up the huge block with full mid-block pathways. Not everything has to be high-density housing, and in fact I would prefer that megablocks of apartments stay away from Central Ninth. That is a neighborhood of unique character in Salt Lake City.

But this is simply a proposal. There is a lot of time for details of this block to change, especially considering how ungodly glacially slow everything moves in Salt Lake City.
I agree with all you are saying but scripting out and restricting the uses to a public vision rarely works. This is one of the only true tech campus possibilities close in. This should have been Pluralsitight's HQ.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:16 AM

Ahh ok I misunderstood a bit what you were saying. I can't say I'm too educated in the pros and cons of public vs private processes in development since I haven't been keeping up with these things closely for as long as most of you guys, but as an aspiring planner it's definitely one of those things I want to understand better!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:25 PM

Fleet Block I wanted a little reminder of the Fleet Block's current state.

https://i2.wp.com/www.buildingsaltla...9-PM.png?ssl=1

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 1:35 AM

Streetcar/trax/brt/whatever from 9th & 9th to central ninth trax station down Indiana past the fleet block to Glendale. Then sell the fleetblock

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:44 PM

Tower 8 Staging Area

Walking by the Tower 8 staging area east of Harmon’s today I noticed the following changes:

There is a backhoe on site.
There are 7 or 8 temporary office trailers.
The sidewalk in front of the staging area is blocked to pedestrians
The temporary covered sidewalk structures are all lined up neatly in two rows

Seems like things are happening.

Last edited by nushiof; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:16 PM

Liberty Sky Update

Additional Documents were uploaded to the Citizen Access Portal for Liberty Sky.

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

It looks like approval was granted for conditional building and site design review.

Does this mean Liberty Sky can apply for construction permits now?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:11 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Additional Documents were uploaded to the Citizen Access Portal for Liberty Sky.

It looks like approval was granted for conditional building and site design review.

Does this mean Liberty Sky can apply for construction permits now?
A building permit application for Liberty Sky was made on December 13 and is already processing.

I don't see one for Tower 8 though, which is strange considering they are prepping for construction.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:20 PM

I hope that this doesn't offend anyone, as I know that this is not really the purpose of this site. This will be the only time I bring this up here, and ask that any follow up be done through private message.

I am currently under contract to acquire a mid-sized apartment building just outside of downtown Salt Lake and looking to raise additional equity for the purchase. Let me know if you or anyone you know may be interested. I'm happy to share more information and answer any questions, just send me a PM.

Thanks everyone!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 11:54 PM

Demolition has started on The Exchange site, across from the library.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West