HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:23 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Alright, wacko conspiracy theory time:

I'm tired of Bettman and the governors being in Wayne's back pocket and putting every obstacle imaginable in front of Ovechkin breaking the all-time goal-scoring record.

Discuss.
I know you're mostly being facetious but i'm really excited for Ovi's chase for Gretz' goal-scoring record, and it's going to be a big draw for the NHL in the coming years.

IIRC someone did the math and if this season is only 56 games then Ovi would have lost something like ~175 games in his career due to lockouts or pandemic, which seriously puts a dent in his chances. Still, he's the greatest scorer of all-time regardless.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The NHL has survived that sort of situation before, think of the 04-05 season lost to a labour dispute, along with several seasons that have been shortened for the same reason.
Shortened season is a lot different than shortened season with no fans. Even a lockout is different since you cut all your variable costs to zero. This is uncharted ground to run all of the logistics of a modern sports league without gate revenues.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I know you're mostly being facetious but i'm really excited for Ovi's chase for Gretz' goal-scoring record, and it's going to be a big draw for the NHL in the coming years.

IIRC someone did the math and if this season is only 56 games then Ovi would have lost something like ~175 games in his career due to lockouts or pandemic, which seriously puts a dent in his chances. Still, he's the greatest scorer of all-time regardless.
Has lost 175 games due to lockouts and only missed 31 playable games in total. Only 17 of those games were due to injury. Absolutely insane durability for a guy who played like a skilled power forward from the 90s.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Shortened season is a lot different than shortened season with no fans. Even a lockout is different since you cut all your variable costs to zero. This is uncharted ground to run all of the logistics of a modern sports league without gate revenues.
Indeed. The NHL is definitely hoping for fans by March or April and needs fans for playoffs. The Utah Jazz are expected to start their season with something like 1,500 fans in attendance which is something but not nearly enough to offset or come close to normal. I imagine teams like the Panthers, Lightning, and Stars will have fans in attendance far before places like Canada does.

Quote:
Has lost 175 games due to lockouts and only missed 31 playable games in total. Only 17 of those games were due to injury. Absolutely insane durability for a guy who played like a skilled power forward from the 90s.
It's pretty incredible. I've seen speculation that the Caps, instead of rebuilding, will simply build the team around Ovi's goal chase in the coming years. Will be fun to watch.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:
The point is that the NHL has survived a cancelled season and several shortened seasons before without setting "everything back years".

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The NHL has survived that sort of situation before, think of the 04-05 season lost to a labour dispute, along with several seasons that have been shortened for the same reason.
A) Everything was much cheaper back then.

B) The thrashers were put on life support.

C) The Coyotes/Panthers are just as weak as they were then.

D) Costs have gone way up for nearly everything.

E) They were riding a boom in major league sports, we might be on the verge of a taper with NHL being the weakest link struggling to stay ahead of MLS.

F) Expansion fees were way cheaper. They need to maintain that seattle sticker price. They bet everything on the next big TV contract and they'll likely get shit all, depending on where the streaming wars are at.

G) For a bunch of reason advertising money might recede, on top of rogers over paying, we'll likely see a reduced rogers contract in a handful of years.

H) Nobody's been playing hockey. You have 12 months of no hockey globally, that means virtually every tier and age group will be receding in quality. Years of chaotic drafting, potential early retirements etc. This could rival the dead puck era for crap hockey on top of all the other issues.

I) You're bleeding fans to the big 3 plus soccer, 2026 will be a massive year for soccer as both sides of the border are host nations. This combined with increasing costs in youth hockey/demographic shifts, means a whole lot of people will be converting with or without a lockout. Add to that every arena, minor league team, european team, are also facing steep challenges when paying for what is literally the most expensive sport.

J) Union-Ownership relationships might be in the potential shitter. This could make the league vulnerable to future lockouts/scams/stunts etc.

K) Bettman built the sport on a bubble, if you can ride the wave it's brilliant if it falls apart you're screwed. The way the league is structured there's no turning back.

Anyways I'm happy as shit this combined with vaccines is the best christmas gift I could ever get. The year long winter will end and we are on the verge of a great spring.

Last edited by LakeLocker; Dec 8, 2020 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:23 PM

Lol. And I’m the outrageous one.

Dude, do you even like hockey? You seem to like to plaster your crazy commentary in any thread you can.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:48 PM

Ovi's goals per game is .61 per game - which is just slightly better than Gretzky's .60.
Of course, Lemeuix's at a ridiculous .75 goals per game.

Where Ovi wins this argument is that he's doing this in an era where goal scoring is down considerably overall. The play is more defensive-minded.

It's hard to argue calling Ovi the greatest goal scorer of all time, even without the most goals scored.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Ovi's goals per game is .61 per game - which is just slightly better than Gretzky's .60.
Of course, Lemeuix's at a ridiculous .75 goals per game.

Where Ovi wins this argument is that he's doing this in an era where goal scoring is down considerably overall. The play is more defensive-minded.

It's hard to argue calling Ovi the greatest goal scorer of all time, even without the most goals scored.
Isn’t there an adjusted for era multiplayer that puts him way above everybody? Anyways, def the best goal scorer of all time.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 1:38 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Isn’t there an adjusted for era multiplayer that puts him way above everybody? Anyways, def the best goal scorer of all time.
No, it puts Gordie Howe way above everybody, but he's within catching distance. Ovi is ahead of Gretzky and only behind Howe and Jagr. Jagr is catchable and Howe is maybe, maybe not.

NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Adjusted Goals

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 8:51 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-nhlpa-s...nt/c-319839598

NHL season to start Jan. 13, play 56 games in agreement with NHLPA

British Columbia is the only hurdle at this stage for the Canadian teams. Playoffs are top four teams from each division with first and second rounds in-division, meaning a Canadian team is guaranteed a final four spot.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 9:25 PM

Gretzky admitted himself he was never a natural pure goal scorer and said Mike Bossy was the greatest pure goal scorer he had ever seen. Gretz was the greatest playmaker of all time and he loaded up a big chunk of his goal scoring in his first 6 years 79-85 with sick 92,87,74 goal seasons. In 1985-1986 Wayne's game changed and he would do maybe 50-40 goals a season but put up a ridiculous amount of assists. He benefited the most from 80's hockey having the worst crop of goaltending in history especially the first half of the 80's when the best goalie in the game was frigging Mike Liut!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 12:13 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 12:54 AM
Khan

East Division = the group of death.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 9:34 PM
Community Guy

The Oilers have released their schedule for 2021. They open with a back to back against the Canucks, with the first BOA on Feb 6.

https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/a...-file/file.pdf

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 11:16 PM
Starring as himself

Teams are playing 3 or even 4 games in a row against one another. This should be very interesting.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Teams are playing 3 or even 4 games in a row against one another. This should be very interesting.
Interesting they would take days off on the road, but then play back to back days in a different city, and then take off days in that city. Edmonton in Montreal March 22, 24, 26, then in Toronto 27, 29. Why not Montreal 22, 24, 25, off day, Toronto 27 29, or spread out Montreal and do Toronto 28 and 29. Not big time travel for sure, but don't see why they travel with no off day.

Or April 26 28 in Winnipeg after 5 days off. And then back to Edmonton against Calgary April 29 and May 1. They can't play 26 and 27 after 5 days off and then take the 28th off?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 8:11 PM

It looks like the NHL has been cleared in all 7 cities, which is good news. Now it seems to be officially game on for this season.

I was going to make a new thread but did a mod change the title of this thread or was written wrong all along? Anyways, I guess we will merge this thread with the new season.

Go Canucks.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 11:38 PM
Community Guy

An update from the Oilers to season ticket holders

----
The Oilers are back on the ice! After a long wait, Training Camp has opened and we are now less than ten days away from the start of the 2020-21 National Hockey League season.

While the season will commence without fans in Rogers Place, we do have five important updates to share with you today related to your Oilers Season Seats:

Regardless of whether fans are allowed in Rogers Place at some point this season, we are protecting your season seat rights and transferring them to the 2021-22 season. If fans are allowed this season, we expect it will be in a reduced format, which will limit our ability to accommodate all our Season Seat Holders at the same time.

If limited fans are allowed in Rogers Place in 2020-21, Oilers Season Seat Holders will receive first option on any ticket packages made available. At this point we do not know what format those packages may take, but we will communicate your options as the possibility of fans increases.

Your 5% Annualized Rebate on your account credit has been extended through April 30, 2021 and will be paid automatically in the form of an account credit in early May. The only requirement to earn your 13-month Rebate is to maintain all current credits on your account through April 30, 2021.

Season Seat Renewal and Season Seat Relocation will take place this spring as we prepare to welcome all our Season Seat Holders back to Rogers Place for 2021-22. We will be providing full details in the coming weeks and expect to include new payment incentives with your renewal options.

Any Oilers Bucks you may still have on hand from the 2019-20 season will remain valid until the conclusion of the 2021-22 regular season.

We can’t wait for the puck to drop in just ten days and hope you feel the same. Certainly, a schedule comprised of only our Canadian rivals will make for edge-of-the-seat viewing for Oilers fans this year.

We wish you and your family the best of health and remind you there is nothing you need to do at this time to protect all your Season Seat rights and options.

We will be in touch again in the coming weeks, but until then, Let’s Go Oilers!

All the best in 2021

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 12:19 AM

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly on the Bob McCown Podcast today. A few highlights, all Canadian teams have been approved to play at home. Sharks are playing in Arizona, while hoping to move back to San Jose as the season progresses. At least 4 teams planning to have some fans at games. Talk about the outdoor games at Tahoe, or lack of confirmation anyway lol, and hints at the new US TV deal.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada