HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 8:29 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Love Chiwas. Happy they are coming to my neck of the woods, especially happy that they are locating in downtown Mesa. That store front is kind of cursed, they've gone through a lot of iterations in the last ~10 years. Hopefully Chiwas sticks.
Agree about the site, I always hoped Queens would become a better pizzeria, but it didn’t and then Myke’s came along to bring excellent pizza to downtown Mesa a few blocks away. Having tacos there is not a bad outcome at all.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 9:34 PM

Downtown Mesa should be receiving several new eateries in the coming months. This is all part of that developer (I believe the Upland Group) who won that RFQ from the city to redevelop several storefronts along Main St. I've seen signage go up for Gus World Famous Chicken as well as a Peruvian Themed restaurant in addition to Chivas (which I think is overrated- both the Phoenix and Chandler locations). Plus Worthy Takeaway completed an expansion prior to Covid.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 9:40 PM

Downtown Mesa has some places I really like. The new XII West brewery location is gorgeous. I also really like the sandwich place over there, I think it is called Worthy.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Downtown Mesa has some places I really like. The new XII West brewery location is gorgeous. I also really like the sandwich place over there, I think it is called Worthy.
Yes, they did a great job on 12 West. And for a quieter scene, Oro down on the other side of downtown is great, and will bring in food from the sandwich place, Worth.

And now there is a new addition coming: Gus's Fried Chicken. https://mouthbysouthwest.com/2020/08...downtown-mesa/

I really like how DT Mesa is shaping up (assuming everything survives the current shit we're in). Comparing to DT Gilbert, the smaller, older building stock in Mesa seems to have encouraged a slightly different group of businesses than the large food/family/entertainment venues in Gilbert. There was already a good little collection of bars between Oro, Cider Corps, Chupacabra and Desert Eagle. Now there will be Tacos Chiwas and Gus's to supplement the bars with some food, and 12 West as a sort of flagship that does both. Here's hoping they can all reopen soon.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 7:04 PM

I was in Memphis at the end of June and tried Gus's. I'm not normally someone who will eat fried chicken but, you know, when in Rome. It exceeded any expectation I think I ever could have had for fried chicken.

Any idea where the Phoenix location will go?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:25 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
And now there is a new addition coming: Gus's Fried Chicken. https://mouthbysouthwest.com/2020/08...downtown-mesa/

I really like how DT Mesa is shaping up (assuming everything survives the current shit we're in). Comparing to DT Gilbert, the smaller, older building stock in Mesa seems to have encouraged a slightly different group of businesses than the large food/family/entertainment venues in Gilbert. There was already a good little collection of bars between Oro, Cider Corps, Chupacabra and Desert Eagle. Now there will be Tacos Chiwas and Gus's to supplement the bars with some food, and 12 West as a sort of flagship that does both. Here's hoping they can all reopen soon.
I'm biased (my dad works for the City of Mesa) but it's really been impressive what they've accomplished so far in Downtown. They really did a great job, using the light rail extension through downtown as a boon for new developments. It's not much compared to other cities it's size, but considering what Downtown Mesa looked like 15 years ago, it's a huge improvement.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 12:05 AM
Skyriser

Any addition to Downtown Mesa is welcome, especially for family friendly activities that might not have a home elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 11:29 PM
self-important urbanista

I tried the new downtown Phoenix ramen shop, Kagawa, last night. This is the old Z Pizza location. They're doing limited dine-in for one table on each side of the shop, but for now the emphasis is on take out. We tried two bowls of ramen and two bentos. All pretty good. It's nice to have a ramen shop downtown to fill the void left when Otakumen, located just a few doors down, closed.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:06 PM

Several people have questioned whether Blanco downtown will actually open. A friend is a metal artist and does most LGO, Upward and Fox's restaurants. He posted this photo today:

Last edited by biggus diggus; Aug 24, 2020 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:58 PM

If Blanco is still opening, I hope the 123 Lounge, or whatever it’s called, will also open at Block 23.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
If Blanco is still opening,
It's no longer an if. Tom wouldn't be installing mirrors if they were in question.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
It's no longer an if. Tom wouldn't be installing mirrors if they were in question.
Wasn’t doubting its opening, just stating that ‘since’ Blanco will to be opening, I’m hopeful the other bar will too.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 4:21 AM

I got a Membership at EOS and walked around cityscape the other night. Tilted Kilt had a sign that says they haven’t paid rent, The Strand says opening middle of September, Aragant Butcher didn’t have any day yet, Copper Blues didn’t have any or Lucky Strike. Didn’t ABC 15 news says Lucky Strike isn’t opening back up. No sign at Checo Malo or Squid Ink. At AZ Center I believe Hooters opened today at least. Anyone have any word on any of these places? Oh ya, and The Park has no sign to reopen and I believe Willys Taco Joint has a sign saying reopening in September.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 1:19 AM

Im not sure about anything downtown this has been really rough on those restaurants which were highly dependent on Concerts and Sports and Offices.

Subway and Nook Kitchen are both gone. Lucky Strike is out of business, Orpheum looks like its being reopened, the boards were gone and looked like they were putting in new show adds for the fall.

I heard that bars with food will be allowed to open at 50% capacity soon

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:07 AM

You guys should prepare yourselves. My friend moved his bike shop out of downtown. It's likely most of Churchill is done. Dressing Room is gone. A lot of the guys I got to know from years of eating at their restaurants downtown are saying they're finished. Next summer downtown will look very different, unfortunately. I think a lot of these restaurants, as they fail, will be picked up by new owners.

edit: I said the name of the wrong restaurant.

Last edited by biggus diggus; Aug 26, 2020 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:57 AM

Im not too worried long term, with the amount of apartments going in new restaurants will come.

Actually with all the construction workers down there all summer it probably kept some places alive with Lunch costs

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:33 AM

I always saw the construction workers in places that never seemed to need to make money to survive. There's a filibertos kind of place on Central that I can't understand how it makes money, only really saw construction workers eating there. Also I saw them at chick fill eh and subway. I don't think the guy pouring concrete at the construction site is keeping Carly's in business.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 11:41 AM
self-important urbanista

I've seen some of the construction workers going to Taco Boy's at 7th St & Roosevelt'. It's hearty, inexpensive food, and the place is so casual that it's okay to eat there when covered in dust and sweat.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
You guys should prepare yourselves. My friend moved his bike shop out of downtown. It's likely most of Churchill is done. The Larry is gone. A lot of the guys I got to know from years of eating at their restaurants downtown are saying they're finished. Next summer downtown will look very different, unfortunately. I think a lot of these restaurants, as they fail, will be picked up by new owners.

Agree with most everything you said, except, The Larry is still open for business. Trying to support what we have left. Here’s to hoping...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXflyer View Post
Agree with most everything you said, except, The Larry is still open for business. Trying to support what we have left. Here’s to hoping...
You're right, my mistake. They closed their other restaurant, always forget the name of it. The place with the hamburger I liked.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest