HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 4:13 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I mean it is US tradition to race with NY
But of course. By just about any urban measure, both objective and subjective, NYC stands alone in the US.

That arrangement is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Quote:
Does the Thompson Center vision actually have any potential to turn into a real proposal someday?
Only God knows what will ultimately happen with the Thompson Center. It could be rehabbed, leveled and redeveloped, partially salvaged and added onto, or even some other redevelopment arrangement.

The notion that the site might someday be home to some 1,500' mega-tower is merely just one possible outcome of many.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 27, 2020 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:13 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
But of course. By just about any urban measure, both objective and subjective, NYC stands alone in the US.

That arrangement is unlikely to change anytime soon.
Right, but it's basically always been that way, yet Chicago still held its own height-wise, being the only city to ever challenge or surpass NY.

Quote:
Only God knows what will ultimately happen with the Thompson Center. It could be rehabbed, leveled and redeveloped, partially salvaged and added onto, or even some other redevelopment arrangement.

The notion that the site might someday be home to some 1,500' mega-tower is merely just one possible outcome of many.
Yea, it would be cool if they could add onto it instead of destroying the whole thing. Thompson Center is a cool building and it would be sad to see it go. I just ask because it seems there aren't too many potential sites for a building that scale other than Tribune East. Could it be the last opportunity?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 1:02 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I just ask because it seems there aren't too many potential sites for a building that scale other than Tribune East. Could it be the last opportunity?
no.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 4:59 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
no.
Aside from that site, where else could such a tower rise? I'm not familiar with Chicago zoning.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 6:00 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Could any US city grow large enough in size in the future to get a few supertalls? Outside of NYC, maybe Chicago, LA, Philly, Detroit, Houston, Dallas, and maybe even Miami, Atlanta, Austin, and Seattle?

I don’t see SF, Boston, or DC getting one through due to smaller geographical size and zoning restrictions.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Aside from that site, where else could such a tower rise? I'm not familiar with Chicago zoning.
Theres two parking lots between NBC tower right next to the tribune east site.

46 E Hubbard st is currently a parking lot.

The Rainforest cafe site is promising but if they were to build 400+ meter tower it would be very skinny.

The Miglin Skyneedle site is also still a parking lot so I could definitely see something over 400 meters tall go up there. Even the original skyneedle could be built one day.

The Thompson center site is are safest bet for a tall tower, we've already seen two proposals for the site both over 400 meters tall.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 6:40 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Could any US city grow large enough in size in the future to get a few supertalls? Outside of NYC, maybe Chicago, LA, Philly, Detroit, Houston, Dallas, and maybe even Miami, Atlanta, Austin, and Seattle?

I don’t see SF, Boston, or DC getting one through due to smaller geographical size and zoning restrictions.
Outside of NYC and Chicago, SF and LA are probably the only cities with enough of the combination of wealth and hubris to build a 400+ meter building. Unfortunately in SF's case it'll never happen due to extremely powerful NIMBYs and the fact it's in an earthquake zone. LA has the earthquake factor too but might have a shot though since it doesn't seem like the NIMBY's are as powerful down there.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post

Of cities that are not yet in large metro category: Charlotte.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
Theres two parking lots between NBC tower right next to the tribune east site.

46 E Hubbard st is currently a parking lot.

The Rainforest cafe site is promising but if they were to build 400+ meter tower it would be very skinny.

The Miglin Skyneedle site is also still a parking lot so I could definitely see something over 400 meters tall go up there. Even the original skyneedle could be built one day.

The Thompson center site is are safest bet for a tall tower, we've already seen two proposals for the site both over 400 meters tall.
Looking on Google earth, there's an awful lot of surface parking in the blocks around NBC that I wouldn't have ever expected. Alot of potential for some supertalls. Also, those townhouses along E North Water Street bother me so so much... They're as out of place as the surface lots.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 9:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshSteve View Post
Looking on Google earth, there's an awful lot of surface parking in the blocks around NBC that I wouldn't have ever expected.
you should've seen that part of town back in the 90s..... my god, it was a wasteland.

today there are only 4 surface parking lots left around NBC tower, the two immediately south and north of it, the one directly east of tribune tower (the site for the proposed 1,400' tribune tower addition), and the one up at grand/fairbanks.

i don't anticipate that any of them will remain by the end of this decade.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 2, 2020 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 1:32 AM

Wink

Quote:
you should've seen that part of town back in the 90s..... my god, it was a wasteland.

today there are only 4 surface parking lots left around NBC tower, the two immediately south and north of it, the one directly east of tribune tower (the site for the proposed 1,400' tribune tower addition), and the one up at grand/fairbanks.

i don't anticipate that any of them will remain by the end of this decade.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9ebd2d27_b.jpg

Ah yes, Chicago. What shall we do with a literal radioactive industrial dump? Build hotels and luxury condos, of course!

Ultimately, one of the greatest urban revitalization efforts ever if townhouses and stray parking lots are the main complaints.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 2, 2020 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 3:32 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ that's nothing new. there is a warehouse in chelsea that held the uranium for the manhattan project. and get this, it wasn't cleaned up until the 1990s!

https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.c...-nuclear-past/

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 3:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post

Ah yes, Chicago. What shall we do with a literal radioactive industrial dump? Build hotels and luxury condos, of course!

Ultimately, one of the greatest urban revitalization efforts ever if townhouses and stray parking lots are the main complaints.

that's lakeshore east (another former wasteland that has been radically altered).

we were talking north of the river, in southern streeterville, the area around NBC tower.

here's what that area looked like in 1987:

source: http://www.okrentassociates.com/imag...er/slide3.html

and here it is today:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8859.../data=!3m1!1e3

it's come a LONG way!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 7:57 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post

All of the radioactive soil had to be remediated, replaced/restored before any building work could be done..this is for essentially the entire currently Lakeshore East neighborhood which is what is now located in that historic image you provided, as well as other plots north of the river in Streeterville.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 9:15 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Now there is a huge hole (far left) of that old aerial.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 10:52 PM

That is quite the glow up! I didn't realize that area was looking like that so recently. I look forward to 10 years from now looking back at pictures of Cleveland's currently Warehouse (parking lot) District, and seeing the same kind of stark change.

Also, we complain about our Deadman's Curve (I 90 and Rt 2) being bad, but who ever allowed those two 90 degree turns on Lakeshore like that?!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:48 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Generated a comparison chart (CTBUH Data) to compare 1980-1999 versus 2000 - 2024 with respect to 200.0m+ for the United States.

Note the one's past 2020 are u/c and set to be completed at year 202X.

The U.S. for the most part has seen a great increase in general height, but between 1980 and 1999, it actually wasn't NYC fueling much of this, but several U.S. cities spread out over the nation.

Now 2000 onward, a bulk has been NYC.

Comparing these last 2 decades versus 1980 to 1999.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:56 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Now... just for shit and giggles, if we do 100m+ for those intervals:

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:26 AM

I think it's possible with LA. When that purple line extension is complete, there's going to be alot of demand around the 7th st metro center .
There's already a 2-3 1,000 ft proposals on Figueroa.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 2:01 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshSteve View Post
Also, we complain about our Deadman's Curve (I 90 and Rt 2) being bad, but who ever allowed those two 90 degree turns on Lakeshore like that?!
The infamous old LSD S-curve was one of the most ridiculously mis-engineered stretches of road anywhere in america.

I kind of fondly remember it from my childhood because it was just so unbelievably wacky, even to my 10 year old eyes. "who in God's name ever thought this was a good idea?"

They finally fixed it in the mid-80s by shifting the entire ROW east, that then allowed the curve to be greatly softened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions