HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:26 PM

From ThreadATL:

Quote:
Great news for transit service in Atlanta:
Watching today's MARTA board meeting, we found out the agency is working with Jarrett Walker and Associates to redesign its entire bus system!
Anyone who's read Walker's popular book "Human Transit" or followed his work in cities like Houston, where he led a very successful redesign of their bus system, will know how big of a deal this is and how much of a positive impact this could have on our bus service and ridership.
From the discussion at the meeting, here are some highlights:
>> Walker says they'll be redesigning the MARTA bus system using its pre Covid resources, no extra funding is being added, so some tough choices will be made.
>> To illustrate the tough choices, Walker says: "if you tell us you want a coverage oriented network that goes everywhere with bus arrival every hour and no high-frequency service, your ridership is going to be really low and you're going to have to remember that you decided on that."
>> Walker says he wants conversations about land use planning with the City to happen as part of this redesign. Paging Department of City Planning
>> Michelle Poyourow at Walker and Associates will be the manager of this project
>> Public engagement on the redesign is coming late spring or early summer of this year, led by Walker and Associates. A draft plan for the bus system redesign will arrive by fall of this year.
You can watch Walker's presentation here, along with a Q&A afterward:
https://youtu.be/2HZ4LkIsUnU?t=3737

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
From ThreadATL:
Outstanding!

This is great news for transit service in Atlanta. Houston's bus service was one of the few in country to see ridership growth in recent years as a result of the redesign. And FINALLY someone is addressing land use as a component of transit service.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:14 PM

Veddy interrresting!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:57 PM

Will be interesting to see what is prioritized. As a bus rider, limited frequencies even in busy areas of the city really made me have to plan trips or be have both my personal and professional comfortable with my schedule being fluid.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:22 PM

Bender posted this presentation, showing the green line being extended up north by two stations. This would be exciting if it happened! Too bad there is no easy way to incorporate Howell Mill Rd and Atlantic station into this, however, perhaps that would be the next logical step since there is a rail line that goes from there to Peachtree St (and there is a provision in the rail tunnel north of Arts Center Station which allows for a wye track to connect there...)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EubboRdW...jpg&name=large

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 6:58 PM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:21 PM

[QUOTE=montydawg;9193053]Bender posted this presentation, showing the green line being extended up north by two stations. This would be exciting if it happened! Too bad there is no easy way to incorporate Howell Mill Rd and Atlantic station into this, however, perhaps that would be the next logical step since there is a rail line that goes from there to Peachtree St (and there is a provision in the rail tunnel north of Arts Center Station which allows for a wye track to connect there...)

It would be exciting to see this go through, especially with a Marta extension up towards Cobb and mix of density. A link to Howell Mill and Atlantic Station utilizing the line you mentioned would be nice.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:58 PM

Am I the only one that would love to see MARTA rail extended to Six Flags on the westside and to Stone Mountain on the eastside?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Am I the only one that would love to see MARTA rail extended to Six Flags on the westside and to Stone Mountain on the eastside?
Public transit and theme parks are two of my favorite things, so this would be a dream come true for me.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
There's a MARTA bus from H.E. Holmes station to Six Flags, but it tends to be used by Six Flags employees rather than patrons.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
Public transit and theme parks are two of my favorite things
twins

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBRDL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Bender posted this presentation, showing the green line being extended up north by two stations. This would be exciting if it happened! Too bad there is no easy way to incorporate Howell Mill Rd and Atlantic station into this, however, perhaps that would be the next logical step since there is a rail line that goes from there to Peachtree St (and there is a provision in the rail tunnel north of Arts Center Station which allows for a wye track to connect there...)
It would be exciting to see this go through, especially with a Marta extension up towards Cobb and mix of density. A link to Howell Mill and Atlantic Station utilizing the line you mentioned would be nice.
Some of these concept maps (none below are legit /by MARTA) show a similar extension via the railroad right of way or that additional one to the north, but generally demonstrates this concept :

Removing embedded image for the last one here, way too large an image.
https://i.redd.it/xf9fumddjuf11.png

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 11:48 AM

Duplicate post

Last edited by bryantm3; Feb 19, 2021 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 11:51 AM

If that's true, that's potentially very good news for the future of Cobb rail. That rail line they are indictating that they will use, is the very same rail line that runs through the old downtown of Vinings, turns west just south of Cumberland Mall, and then goes through the historic downtowns of Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw, Acworth, and Cartersville. It looks like they are starting with this line in an attempt to lure Cobb in later.

It would make sense to have a spur going to Arts Center, with stations at Howell Mill and Atlantic Station.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
It would make sense to have a spur going to Arts Center, with stations at Howell Mill and Atlantic Station.
I agree- or if not Arts Center, to Armour and/or Lindbergh. Railroad crossings are difficult to get agreement in general, so if MARTA does try to connect on the N/S line, they may go with the path of least resistance. There’s a lot of junctions to cross in the area.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I agree- or if not Arts Center, to Armour and/or Lindbergh. Railroad crossings are difficult to get agreement in general, so if MARTA does try to connect on the N/S line, they may go with the path of least resistance. There’s a lot of junctions to cross in the area.
That's a good idea. I was thinking they could use those spur tunnels they built for a Cobb expansion originally, but those come out too far north to go back to Atlantic Station anyway. I guess they can use those if they decide to run a line under Peachtree Road or something

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 8:23 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Some of these concept maps (none below are legit /by MARTA) show a similar extension via the railroad right of way or that additional one to the north, but generally demonstrates this concept :
I like this! I realize these are ambitions, but if they were to be built out... I think this would truly take Atlanta to the next level.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:20 AM

Page 40 of this presentation shows some detailed visuals of what may be implemented at the five points station. Pretty impressive vision.

https://ulidigitalmarketing.blob.cor...Final_rdd2.pdf

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:28 AM

Quote:
That representation of 5 points, as housing on top of Bankhead is also included in the ATL presentation. Also nice renderings for five points and Peachtree center.

Look at slides 37, 38, & 47.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 2:34 PM

The funding for the station upgrades is part of More MARTA, right? So there's a good chance these will actually happen?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta