HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:09 PM

Another photo of the 401, this time from James Snow Parkway in Milton looking easterly:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ay21_24x16.jpg

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 11:07 PM

Quite the spans on those new overpasses without centre support pillars.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 3:51 AM

Super telephoto view from the Islington Avenue overpass:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...21_t_24x16.jpg

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 6:31 PM
User Registered

Nice pic of the big boi

-----

Truth:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/com...ign_should_be/

OPP in Chatham be like- 101's a speeding ticket

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 8:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If they’re still like that even after 401 through C-K gets 6 lanes, ffff I don’t know.
This is where even I’m like, “It must be the wacko culture.”

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
If they’re still like that even after 401 through C-K gets 6 lanes, ffff I don’t know.
This is where even I’m like, “It must be the wacko culture.”
I didn't even know they were like that there I usually do 120-125 and none of those cops have ever stopped me before, they must be picky and choosy.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 11:08 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
I didn't even know they were like that there I usually do 120-125 and none of those cops have ever stopped me before, they must be picky and choosy.
Everyone has different stories. Does it mean that there's some profiling going on?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:00 PM

I always see cops on the 401 in CK, usually multiple cops waiting with radar. Almost never in Essex County.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Tbh, given the particularity of C-K (i.e. cross winds), I can understand why C-K O.P.P. (Well Elgin County O.P.P. as well, so to speak) are strict on things. The real test is when the 3rd lanes go in with concrete barriers.
That said, though, I haven’t been that way in ages (especially now that I’m out of Waterloo for good), so it may not concern me as much. I prefer going east to west. So far O.P.P. in Eastern Ontario seem pretty chill (except Napanee O.P.P., of course).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:31 PM

everyone has wildly different perceptions on what cops will pull you over for too.

Some are convinced they are done for if they do 10 over the limit, others think you need to do 30+ over the limit to get dinged.

My experience is that it matters less on what you personally are doing, and more on what you are doing compared to other drivers. Cops are going to grab the fastest guy on the road, not the first guy to go by. So just don't be the fastest person on that stretch and you should be fine.

You see this on the 407 - cops do speed enforcement and basically don't pull people over for anything other than stunt driving, because it's not hard to find someone doing over 150 after a few minutes. But do 71 in a 50 zone through a town? they nab you right away.

I consider a cop pulling you over on a higher speed limit road for anything less than 20km/h over to be stingey, and extremely unlikely.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 5:12 PM

^ That's a really good point.

I remember once blowing past an OPP officer on the 407 doing 140, and all they did was tap their brake lights to get me to slow down.

But I definitely don't think everyone can drive the 407 at 140 with immunity whenever they want to.

I might have just got lucky that day. (And the fact that I was driving the Company car at the time, probably didn't hurt either).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
You see this on the 407 - cops do speed enforcement and basically don't pull people over for anything other than stunt driving, because it's not hard to find someone doing over 150 after a few minutes. But do 71 in a 50 zone through a town? they nab you right away.

I consider a cop pulling you over on a higher speed limit road for anything less than 20km/h over to be stingey, and extremely unlikely.
70 in a 50 zone is probably more dangerous than 150 in 100 zone highway designed for 130.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:06 PM

The 407 might as well be the autobahn at rush hour. Especially on the really wide section between the 427 and 400. In the before times I used to drive through there fairly frequently on the way back to my office in the afternoon peak, and traffic in those left two lanes always moves at a very brisk clip. Seeing as there are the equivalent of four slow lanes through there, it makes sense drivers like to take advantage of those two left lanes. Not to mention the price of admission for the privilege of getting home quickly at 5pm in the GTA.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:40 PM

140 on the 407 is generally pretty safe - A family member been using the highway since it opened on a daily basis and from my experience drives in the 135-140 range (generally just camps in the left lane and goes as fast as the person in front of them) and has never been dinged. My experience on the highway is that 150+ drivers aren't exactly difficult to find either, it feels like every other time I'm on the highway I see one. I've seen people doing 200+ a few times even.

I wouldn't go a km faster than 140 though as you are pushing too close to the hard limit. I generally stick a little lower, in the 130-135 range.

Half the cops on the 407 are looking for plate issues not speeding as well. that's the thing that 407ETR pushes from my understanding as it hits their revenue, and people love nothing more than figuring out how to get a free ride on the 407.

The above mentioned family member has only ever been pulled over on the 407 in 25 years for plate issues (snow covering the plate, trailer blocking it, etc.)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The 407 might as well be the autobahn at rush hour. Especially on the really wide section between the 427 and 400. In the before times I used to drive through there fairly frequently on the way back to my office in the afternoon peak, and traffic in those left two lanes always moves at a very brisk clip. Seeing as there are the equivalent of four slow lanes through there, it makes sense drivers like to take advantage of those two left lanes. Not to mention the price of admission for the privilege of getting home quickly at 5pm in the GTA.
I think it's BS that they can't raise the speed limit. When you're paying for speed, it should be included.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:50 PM

407ETR doesn't have control of speed limits, its' government regulated. I'm sure they would be sticking 120km/h limits up tomorrow if they could.

The 2 year increased speed limit pilot from the PCs is due to be up in September, so I expect they'll implement a province wide increase of limits soon afterwards. I would be extremely surprised if the 407 doesn't jump to at least 110.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:58 PM

I agree that the 407 is a great candidate for an increased limit (as are both the 412 and 418).

My only thought regarding giving the 407 an increased speed limit is that the province might want something in return. The provinces relationship with the 407 is sometimes a bit thorny, and if the province is going to give the 407 an increased speed limit (something that is very much in the consortiums favour), the province might want something back from the consortium.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 8:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I agree that the 407 is a great candidate for an increased limit (as are both the 412 and 418).

My only thought regarding giving the 407 an increased speed limit is that the province might want something in return. The provinces relationship with the 407 is sometimes a bit thorny, and if the province is going to give the 407 an increased speed limit (something that is very much in the consortiums favour), the province might want something back from the consortium.
What would that be then?
Ps: We are also deviating quite a bit from 401. Someone post a picture of 401 please lol.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
What would that be then?
Ps: We are also deviating quite a bit from 401. Someone post a picture of 401 please lol.
I don't know to be honest.

I'm not sure what the exact struggles between the ETR and the province are these days -- I know there have been some in the past. The 407, for example, had to pay for the widening of the westbound 401 between the 407 and Trafalgar in Halton Hills. Similarly, the 407 paid to widen the Niagara Bound QEW from Fairview southerly to North Shore. From what I understand these were contractual obligations required by the 407, but I don't know the full details of either of these minor widening projects.

I'm sure someone with the Ministry who is familiar with the 407 could think of something that the Ministry could get back from them.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 11:55 PM

I wouldn't mind just getting the 407 to build out the remainder of their missing ramps at Upper Middle Rd, Centre St in Vaughan, and the missing ramps at Donald Cousens and 9th Line. Not sure if I'm missing any others on that list.

Perhaps something like helping widen the 403 overpass WB at the 407 in Mississauga would be useful as that is made much more expensive work by the existence of the 407 interchange, or maybe building the flyovers at the 403/QEW in Oakville to allow for a full tolled bypass of southern Halton Region for QEW traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario