HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:26 PM

I don't think The University of Alabama should be chasing any magazine ranking service. Especially, one that has swung so wildly in the last decade or so. That's why I've found and (shown here) many ranking services that have us ranked much better. It's amazing the difference one can find. Who knows what it takes to appease USNWR staff writers these days. Is there bias in their rankings? I have begun to care less and less where a magazine, like USNWR, places us in thier erratic rankings. All we can do is improve the University (increase research, grow the graduate school, keep improving facilities, hire more and better faculty, keep attracting high performer students in large numbers, etc.). UA students continue to outperform other in-state Unversities in National Awards. We continue to recruit the cream of the crop students, ranking in the "top 2" Nationally for National Merit Scholars for the last several years (over 800 currently on campus). If we recruit a student, we give them real information about the University and, when we get them to visit the campus, we land a vast majority of them. But, we are a public university and we have a mission to the tax-payers to educate in-state students. To get those numbers, we sometimes have to lower requirements. That is not neccisarily a bad thing. Average students have graduated, become successful, and become some of our best ambassadors. We are an attractive University on a National level and we have done a good job, since 2003, taking advantage of our brand. We are producing more graduates each year [ 8,271 (2013); 9,087 (2015); 9,028 (2016); 9,341 (2017); 9,594 (2018); and 9,778 (2019) ]. That is creating a lot more alumni than any other institution in the state. A majority of these alums will follow their University throughout their lives and even give back to their University. I know the University is improving year to year because I keep up with what is going on. If a magazine ranking keeps a prospective student from coming here, then, maybe it's best they go somewhere else. A smart student wouldn't base his/her decision based solely on a magazine's rating. My two cents. ROLL TIDE FOREVER!!!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
I don't think The University of Alabama should be chasing any magazine ranking service. Especially, one that has swung so wildly in the last decade or so. That's why I've found and (shown here) many ranking services that have us ranked much better. It's amazing the difference one can find. Who knows what it takes to appease USNWR staff writers these days. Is there bias in their rankings? I have begun to care less and less where a magazine, like USNWR, places us in thier erratic rankings. All we can do is improve the University (increase research, grow the graduate school, keep improving facilities, hire more and better faculty, keep attracting high performer students in large numbers, etc.). UA students continue to outperform other in-state Unversities in National Awards. We continue to recruit the cream of the crop students, ranking in the "top 2" Nationally for National Merit Scholars for the last several years (over 800 currently on campus). If we recruit a student, we give them real information about the University and, when we get them to visit the campus, we land a vast majority of them. But, we are a public university and we have a mission to the tax-payers to educate in-state students. To get those numbers, we sometimes have to lower requirements. That is not neccisarily a bad thing. Average students have graduated, become successful, and become some of our best ambassadors. We are an attractive University on a National level and we have done a good job, since 2003, taking advantage of our brand. We are producing more graduates each year [ 8,271 (2013); 9,087 (2015); 9,028 (2016); 9,341 (2017); 9,594 (2018); and 9,778 (2019) ]. That is creating a lot more alumni than any other institution in the state. A majority of these alums will follow their University throughout their lives and even give back to their University. I know the University is improving year to year because I keep up with what is going on. If a magazine ranking keeps a prospective student from coming here, then, maybe it's best they go somewhere else. A smart student wouldn't base his/her decision based solely on a magazine's rating. My two cents. ROLL TIDE FOREVER!!!!
Couldn't have said it any better. Now the next step that other schools are doing that we haven't really done as well is to start businesses and hire UA grads. I can't tell you how many businesses here in Huntsville that are either AU owned or GaTech owned that strictly hire their own. I can't fault them for that

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
Couldn't have said it any better. Now the next step that other schools are doing that we haven't really done as well is to start businesses and hire UA grads. I can't tell you how many businesses here in Huntsville that are either AU owned or GaTech owned that strictly hire their own. I can't fault them for that
That is a good idea.

Regarding the "magazine rankings," unfortunately, they matter greatly to many potential students, their parents and to the academic communities across the nation. If you want your degree to have more clout, you should want UA to improve in the rankings, just like we want it to be ranked number one in football. I don't think it is a coincidence that UA enrolled a far lower number of out of state students the last two years, after several years of serious drops in the "magazine rankings." If we can attract more top in state students to make up for that drop, it is ok, save for the lower amount of tuition that student will pay. The data shows no progress in student quality for over three years now. That will not improve academic rep and thus the worth of the degree. Not good.

I see much more self criticism among most alumni, of the football program than the school's administration. I always cut the football program much more slack than the well paid, elitist administrators who are tasked with running my alma mater. I see nothing wrong with healthy self criticism and holding their feet to the fire. We need bold administrators like Dr. Witt again, not weak, eager to virtue signal ones like Dr. Bell and Chancellor St. John. I will become big fans of these guys once they show boldness and improve things like school rep.

Last edited by atlanta68; Sep 24, 2020 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 11:48 PM

CJ Pearson Enrolled at UA this Fall, and is speaking out against the UA Office of DEI

In case you haven't heard, prominent young Black conservative CJ Pearson enrolled at UA this Fall and joined Theta Chi. He made a very controversial tweet this morning, after he and his frat had to endure a mandatory lecture by a "Diversity Educator." The "educator" said the US was now like Nazi Germany and that Trump was like Hitler. He tweeted his objection, along with criticism of the lack of diversity brought to us by the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

Someone shared an email thread with me today that discusses his tweet. Some love it, one in particular was very critical. If you want to see the email thread and contribute to the discussion, private message me. This young man needs support from alumni who want greater ideological diversity on the UA campus. If you support that, and want to speak out, private message me and I will share the mailing list with you.

Here is his tweet:

CJ Pearson
@thecjpearson
I just listened to a mandatory lecture - sponsored by my University’s Student Government Association - in which the speaker, Jane Elliott, compared America to Nazi Germany, the President to Hitler, and called @realDonaldTrump an “admitted racist and sexist”.

I’m appalled.
9:29 PM · Sep 23, 2020
7.6K people are Tweeting about this

Here was my email message in support of him in the thread:

I read Ms. Johnson's email regarding CJ Pearson's tweet. If he is pointing out the lack of DIVERSITY of speakers brought to the attention of the UA campus, ironically, by the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, he is doing us all a great favor. How can the UA DEI claim to be about diversity, when every speaker it presents believes in critical race theory, a notoriously anti White ideology that sees any inequities across groups as due to White supremacism? It is an extremely irresponsible and toxic ideology that has led to enormous racial grievances and greater perceptions of discrimination among young Black Americans relative to older Black Americans.

UA alumni should stand by students like CJ Pearson, who have the courage to go against the conventional narrative and demand ideological diversity on campus.

As far as his organization voluntarily agreeing to submit to DEI certification requirements, does anyone know if the university REQUIRES Theta Chi and other fraternities to be certified? If so, Ms. Johnson's comment overlooks important context.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 11:50 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
In case you haven't heard, prominent young Black conservative CJ Pearson enrolled at UA this Fall and joined Theta Chi. He made a very controversial tweet this morning, after he and his frat had to endure a mandatory lecture by a "Diversity Educator." The "educator" said the US was now like Nazi Germany and that Trump was like Hitler. He tweeted his objection, along with criticism of the lack of diversity brought to us by the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

Someone shared an email thread with me today that discusses his tweet. Some love it, one in particular was very critical. If you want to see the email thread and contribute to the discussion, private message me. This young man needs support from alumni who want greater ideological diversity on the UA campus. If you support that, and want to speak out, private message me and I will share the mailing list with you.

Here is his tweet:

CJ Pearson
@thecjpearson
I just listened to a mandatory lecture - sponsored by my University’s Student Government Association - in which the speaker, Jane Elliott, compared America to Nazi Germany, the President to Hitler, and called @realDonaldTrump an “admitted racist and sexist”.

I’m appalled.
9:29 PM · Sep 23, 2020
7.6K people are Tweeting about this

Here was my email message in support of him in the thread:

I read Ms. Johnson's email regarding CJ Pearson's tweet. If he is pointing out the lack of DIVERSITY of speakers brought to the attention of the UA campus, ironically, by the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, he is doing us all a great favor. How can the UA DEI claim to be about diversity, when every speaker it presents believes in critical race theory, a notoriously anti White ideology that sees any inequities across groups as due to White supremacism? It is an extremely irresponsible and toxic ideology that has led to enormous racial grievances and greater perceptions of discrimination among young Black Americans relative to older Black Americans.

UA alumni should stand by students like CJ Pearson, who have the courage to go against the conventional narrative and demand ideological diversity on campus.

As far as his organization voluntarily agreeing to submit to DEI certification requirements, does anyone know if the university REQUIRES Theta Chi and other fraternities to be certified? If so, Ms. Johnson's comment overlooks important context.
You realize that UA is more conservative than most public universities, right?

Hell, when I was stilla t UA (07-15) I had professors that didn't believe in global warming. The University has long been a haven for conservative speakers, I don't see having a speaker on the liberal end of the spectrum is any different from allowing speakers from the right end of the spectrum.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
You realize that UA is more conservative than most public universities, right?

Hell, when I was stilla t UA (07-15) I had professors that didn't believe in global warming. The University has long been a haven for conservative speakers, I don't see having a speaker on the liberal end of the spectrum is any different from allowing speakers from the right end of the spectrum.

I have no problem with liberal speakers coming to campus or presented via Zoom, none at all. I am an old :Leftie and I attended talks by Jesse Jackson there, as well as by people involved in the Iran Contra probe. The problem is that the Office of DEI is ONLY presenting liberal speakers who believe in Critical Race Theory, a Marxist, anti White ideology that breeds racial grievances and irresponsibility.

By the way, try submitting a conservative piece to the current Crimson White. Your piece will likely be ignored. I know, cause mine was, with not even a polite reply. The mentor of the current editor of the CW is Nicole Hannah Jones, of the 1619 Project. I don't think you realize how bad it is at UA right now when it comes to respect for ideological diversity.

Why is the university letting its Office of DEI promote ONLY one side of the story when it comes to racial issues? Just look at the UA DEI website, and you will see what I mean. UA DEI is ONLY concerned with "racialized violence," when the victim is Black and the perpetrator or defender is White. UA DEI ONLY provides speakers who oppose Trump. That is simply unacceptable.

In fairness, UA is far from the only school with a DEI that only promotes one side of an argument. But UA is my alma mater, and alumni like myself, are not going to sit back and be silent while free speech is dying there. In fact, I know one alumnus who has decided to withhold his $2 million bequest for now, out of disgust with the way UA has disrespected Confederate heritage and renamed buildings, without even consulting alumni. This man did not even receive a polite reply to his respectful letter objecting to the changes. He is not the only one. Another said he will not leave the $10,000 he had planned to leave.

I will continue to give to UA, but ONLY to the Engineering School. Giving to Arts and Sciences at this point, is giving to people who have no intention of being reasonable about ideological diversity.

Last edited by atlanta68; Sep 26, 2020 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:40 PM

Campus Construction

Does anyone have updated images of campus construction? Also, I've read (I THINK in a campus master plan?) that once old Tutwiler is imploded there will be additional retail built fronting Bryant Drive. Has anyone else heard more details about this?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Does anyone have updated images of campus construction? Also, I've read (I THINK in a campus master plan?) that once old Tutwiler is imploded there will be additional retail built fronting Bryant Drive. Has anyone else heard more details about this?
I had heard that the area to the North of the new Tutwiler, including the current Tutwiler, will eventually be a large green space. That side of campus certainly needs it since the old Butler Field is now a parking deck. I hope that retail is not built along Bryant Drive. If it is, I hope it's in a limited manner.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:35 PM

NEW MRI purchase by UA

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 2:03 PM

I know that several Colleges within UA will be using the new MRI equipment, but, I hope that being housed in the College of Community Health Sciences is a good sign of increasing medical research at the Capstone. Medical research is almost always NIH (National Institutes of Health) funded and, with it, comes indirect costs. Indirect costs are basically a tax by the University on grants. The University of Alabama System charges 45% indirect cost on NIH grants. For example, if a professor is awarded a five-year grant worth $1 million, the indirect costs wuld be $450,000. So, NIH pays $1.45 million to the University and the awarded professor. The $450,000 goes to UA for building space, utilities, maintenance, etc., and the $1 million goes to the lab for research supplies, salaries, benefits, etc. I know this percentage sounds ridiculously high, but, it is actually low for University systems around the country. For instance, Stanford University charges 110% indirect costs. This lower rate actually gives UA an advantage to being awarded more NIH grants (which means more $$ for UA). I have been an advocate for growing the Medical School at UA and growing medical research. I would like to see the BOT buy Druid City Hospital and turn it into a University Research Hospital. And, one last thing, rename the College of Community Health to a more appropriate "School of Medicine" or "College of Medicine".

Last edited by Packer16; Oct 2, 2020 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 2:14 PM

Midtown, I don't have pictures, but there are several building projects well-underway on campus. Of course, Bryant-Denny is finishing up. The massive Tutwiler project has made a lot of progress. Hewson Hall is well underway with the huge undergroud ampitheatre dug-out and walled-in. The Nursing School addition is going up. The 2nd Avenue overpass over the railroad tracks has made a lot of progress. And, the old round Biology Bldg. is being renovated and renamed the Science and Mathematics Building. Soon, you'll see a football-shaped water tank go up just to the north-west of Marr's Spring. It will be solid white, with a red script "A" and provide much needed water pressure in that area. Thats all I can think of, at the moment. If I remember something else, I'll post.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 9:20 PM

This is from the 2017 Campus Master Plan:

Also, I'm actually glad they decided to renovate the Biology building rather than tearing it down and building a new larger building there, as originally planned. I love its round shape! Too bad they tore down the round sorority house. It was a beauty.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:49 AM

I would love to see what Packer recommends come true. I wonder if Tommy Tubberville though, will work as hard for money for UA as Richard Shelby has. One way to raise some money to buy DCH is to get rid of the Office of DEI. The annual cost spread out over 10 years for such an office is enormously wasteful. UA could still promote diversity (hopefully including intellectual diversity) through other offices. This is just one reason you guys should care about the waste of precious resources going to fund a center for racial grievance fostering critical race theory on campus.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 1:00 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I would love to see what Packer recommends come true. I wonder if Tommy Tubberville though, will work as hard for money for UA as Richard Shelby has. One way to raise some money to buy DCH is to get rid of the Office of DEI. The annual cost spread out over 10 years for such an office is enormously wasteful. UA could still promote diversity (hopefully including intellectual diversity) through other offices. This is just one reason you guys should care about the waste of precious resources going to fund a center for racial grievance fostering critical race theory on campus.
I will personally pay the postage for you to send as much physical mail to the trustees as you want complaining about this if we can stop rehashing this issue in this thread.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 6:01 PM

UA had more in state students than Auburn this Fall

UA enrolled more in state freshman this Fall than Cow College, I mean Auburn. It is good news, but with those new generous in state scholarships, I am surprised the difference was not larger.

http://auburn.edu/administration/ir/...ma-county.html

vs

https://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/5f5b...%20of%20Origin

Also, UA's ACT avg rose back up to 27.1 this Fall according to this: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...NhNyIsImMiOjN9

Finally, UA's College of Engineering had significantly more new students this year relative to 2019:
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...NhNyIsImMiOjN9

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Tommy Tubberville though, will work as hard for money for UA as Richard Shelby has. One way to raise some money to buy DCH is to get rid of the Office of DEI.
First, I really wish DCH could somehow get an overhaul - it's such an UGLY building and is right at the entrance to our campus. Almost ruins our main gateway in my opinion.

Second, Doug Jones is UA's own, so I'm guessing he would definitely have our interests at heart.

Tommy Tuberville doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground, couldn't even answer a simple question about his thoughts on the Voting Rights Act (because he literally has probably never heard of it - HE'S RUNNING FOR US SENATE!), won't debate his very informed opponent because the blind sheep of Alabama will vote for the "R" instead of the candidate himself, and he isn't even a real Alabamian.

ANYWAY, also saw in the master plan that a new dorm is planned to be constructed across the street from Marrs Spring, and a large completely enclose parking structure, with street level retail, is planned for the parking lot across from the Ferg and by H.M. Comer.

Here's a link to all of it for anyone who hasn't seen it or who is interested:

http://universitylands.ua.edu/wp-con...aster-Plan.pdf

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
First, I really wish DCH could somehow get an overhaul - it's such an UGLY building and is right at the entrance to our campus. Almost ruins our main gateway in my opinion.

Second, Doug Jones is UA's own, so I'm guessing he would definitely have our interests at heart.

Tommy Tuberville doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground, couldn't even answer a simple question about his thoughts on the Voting Rights Act (because he literally has probably never heard of it - HE'S RUNNING FOR US SENATE!), won't debate his very informed opponent because the blind sheep of Alabama will vote for the "R" instead of the candidate himself, and he isn't even a real Alabamian.

ANYWAY, also saw in the master plan that a new dorm is planned to be constructed across the street from Marrs Spring, and a large completely enclose parking structure, with street level retail, is planned for the parking lot across from the Ferg and by H.M. Comer.

Here's a link to all of it for anyone who hasn't seen it or who is interested:

http://universitylands.ua.edu/wp-con...aster-Plan.pdf

I have seen the Master Plan, but where did you see that the plan is to build an enclosed parking structure with street level retail? I am hoping that is true, cause that would look a lot better than a simple parking deck, especially given that it will block the view of the newly renovated HM Comer Hall. I think I see that it will be a parking structure, but not seeing the part about street level retail.

Also, I assume Tubberville will win cause he is Republican. That is why I was wondering if he would work for UA's interests.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 1:21 PM

Quote:
I have seen the Master Plan, but where did you see that the plan is to build an enclosed parking structure with street level retail? I am hoping that is true, cause that would look a lot better than a simple parking deck, especially given that it will block the view of the newly renovated HM Comer Hall. I think I see that it will be a parking structure, but not seeing the part about street level retail.

Also, I assume Tubberville will win cause he is Republican. That is why I was wondering if he would work for UA's interests.
Here's hoping he will.

Here's the dorm location (if it happens):

And about the parking deck/retail by the Ferg (pgs. 44-45 in master plan)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:28 PM

One thing to remember about Master plans is that they are like a flexible roadmap of ideas for the future. They aren't carved in stone. If you look back at old Master plans from the University, you'll see many things were done and many things were changed or not done at all. For instance, the proposed building on Bryce Lawn (south of North Lawn Hall and east of the Shelby Complex) will not be built (at least, not at that location). The Board felt it incroached too much into the historic Bryce Lawn. I proposed that the parking deck, north of the Ferguson Center, be built underground with a grassy quad on top. UCLA has done this on their campus and it is beautiful. Plus, it would be a safe retreat during a Tornado Warning. UA develops a new Master plan about every five years. It will be interesting to see what changes in the next couple of years.

As for Tub-o-Shit, he will be ostracized in Washington because Trump won't be the President and the Senate is going to flip. Doug Jones is the most qualified Senator we have had in decades. Doug could help Shelby get funding for UA, but, Shelby is in jeapordy of losing his Chair on the Appropriations Committee. Tubs will go to Washington on the promise of backing someone who is not going to be there. On top of that, Tubs is a truly uneducated man and that won't serve him well in snobsville.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
One thing to remember about Master plans is that they are like a flexible roadmap of ideas for the future. They aren't carved in stone. If you look back at old Master plans from the University, you'll see many things were done and many things were changed or not done at all. For instance, the proposed building on Bryce Lawn (south of North Lawn Hall and east of the Shelby Complex) will not be built (at least, not at that location). The Board felt it incroached too much into the historic Bryce Lawn. I proposed that the parking deck, north of the Ferguson Center, be built underground with a grassy quad on top. UCLA has done this on their campus and it is beautiful. Plus, it would be a safe retreat during a Tornado Warning. UA develops a new Master plan about every five years. It will be interesting to see what changes in the next couple of years.

As for Tub-o-Shit, he will be ostracized in Washington because Trump won't be the President and the Senate is going to flip. Doug Jones is the most qualified Senator we have had in decades. Doug could help Shelby get funding for UA, but, Shelby is in jeapordy of losing his Chair on the Appropriations Committee. Tubs will go to Washington on the promise of backing someone who is not going to be there. On top of that, Tubs is a truly uneducated man and that won't serve him well in snobsville.
I despise Tubberville, but I see no way he loses this election. I supported Sessions, but Trump let his ego get in the way of seeing that he never would have had a bigger cheer leader in the Senate than Sessions, at least a cheer leader for the 2016 Trump campaign agenda.

I go back and forth about whether Trump will lose. He has greatly disappointed me in many ways, for NOT doing what he said he would do, but I still prefer the clown to the demented tool of Wall Street and the military industrial deep state complex. And Kamala? Oh please. She has got to go. They should have nominated Tulsi. She would have destroyed Trump in a debate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast