HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 11:06 PM
surely you agree with me

It is far from a cheap building.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 11:16 PM

Here's a comparison to the winning design, and the ones that were rejected. I prefer the designs with the street wall continued along princess and the market to the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The Finalists
DESIGN COMPETITION PROPOSALS: http://www.centreventure.com/market-...gn-competition

1. 1x1 Architecture Inc.
Concept Statement: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...0Statement.pdf
Design board: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...bxj1nt/1X1.pdf

2. Dialog
Design board: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...IqB/Dialog.pdf

3. Daoust Lestage
Design board: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...%20Lestage.pdf

4. Dtah
Design board:https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...compressed.pdf

5. Saucier and Perrotte
Design board: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...20Perrotte.pdf

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:11 AM

At least the revised version is not that wildly dissimilar from the original concept. It isn't what I would consider as some kind of bait and switch.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:37 AM

I believe the federal government is pledging $4,000,000 for the 20,000ft2. This still will not cover the construction costs / tenant improvements and no mention on how the operating costs will be dealt with for these organizations. These are important matters than need to be discussed and addressed.

The “ Market” by CV’s own account does not yet have a true viable use/ program nor funding for construction or operation. They are say 2023 for construction. I really think the way the U of W development Corp quickly and silently produced some great architecture and housing is to be commended. Perhaps the North parcel should have been given to then to oversee?

I believe January 15th was the date to return the unsuccessful proponents and an announcement shortly after. I’m really wondering who will be offered the site and at what price?

Without sounding like a broken record, these lands should have been set aside for RRC. The vibrancy everyone craves for the area will only happen from an expanded campus life.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:05 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
At least the revised version is not that wildly dissimilar from the original concept. It isn't what I would consider as some kind of bait and switch.
Yeah. It isn’t. The biggest change is to cut it back on the east side to provide more light to the north end of the site. Which is positive. The little one storey add-on building definitely needs work though.

It was never really an inspiring scheme, but it might be one of the first net zero residential buildings in Canada. My hope is the creative hub on the bottom two floors and the market building work together to create a really dynamic focal point of activity. That will be a more important determinant of success than a sexy building image.

Last edited by trueviking; Feb 18, 2021 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:08 AM
surely you agree with me

City: Here Red River College. We are ‘setting aside’ two full city blocks for you.

RRC: Thanks but we don’t need it.

City: Hmmm....well do you want to respond to the RFP?

RRC: No thank you. We don’t have plans to expand to that site.

City: Well. Ok. We will just let it sit empty in case you change your mind someday.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:13 AM
surely you agree with me

@Labroco

Why do you assume this is the only funding announcement coming? Development takes time. Your questions will be answered in due course. It is a complex process with a public use caveat and a city bureaucracy to work through. Patience. You will get your chance to criticize Centre Venture once all the work happening behind the scenes is made public.

Last edited by trueviking; Feb 18, 2021 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:15 PM

Can anyone find out (through contacts) if this atrocity is what will be built?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:04 PM

Overall I think it's a great use for the site. Everything in the building sounds good. It's just the aesthetics that bug me and only because of that design competition. If this was the first and only design they announced I'd be 100% on board and I'm still 99% on board.
Small stain

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
@Labroco

Why do you assume this is the only funding announcement coming? Development takes time. Your questions will be answered in due course. It is a complex process with a public use caveat and a city bureaucracy to work through. Patience. You will get your chance to criticize Centre Venture once all the work happening behind the scenes is made public.
You are incorrect..

1) I am not assuming more government funding will not flow to this project.
2) I am aware development takes times having build / developed a number of high rise projects in downtown Toronto over the years more complex than Market Lands.
3) To suggest questions will be answered in due course is simply deflection.
4) CV’s web page and time line suggested answers to these questions would be provided on January 15th. That’s why we are asking...

My posts deal with a wide range of issues that are of interest to stakeholders as are yours. While I find myself in agreement with the majority of your urban ideas and comments, I have, and continue to disagree with the role CV plays in the City and the way it conducts itself on many occasions. My view is not unique to myself and quiet frankly, only receive push back from you...

If I received countless negative comments from others on this forum or the stakeholders, building owners, politicians, business owners, architectural or design firms we come in contact with, perhaps I would reflect more and reconsider my views, questions and observations.

I also very much appreciated and respect the animated opinion of others and wish for the success of our downtown and Exchange area.

I’m always available when in Winnipeg to have a franker discussion over Gin at Patent 5 or a beer at Nonsuch, two of our more recent urban accomplishments I’m especially proud to have facilitated and participate in to make Winnipeg’s Exchange area better.

Last edited by Labroco; Feb 19, 2021 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 7:52 PM
What could go wrong?

They are hoping to announce the northern developments of Marketlands in a month or so.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They are hoping to announce the northern developments of Marketlands in a month or so.
Well that’s good news then!

See Viking, that query and answer wasn’t so hard was it?

Thanks Biff.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
Overall I think it's a great use for the site. Everything in the building sounds good. It's just the aesthetics that bug me and only because of that design competition. If this was the first and only design they announced I'd be 100% on board and I'm still 99% on board.
I agree. Seeing those design options again, it's hard not to wonder what could have been. There's nothing particularly wrong with the current choice. It seems like an option that blends well into the Exchange District style of architecture. But a bolder design could have really turned the Marketlands into one of the highlights of the downtown area.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
That is impressively fast.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 3:31 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
You are incorrect..

1) I am not assuming more government funding will not flow to this project.
2) I am aware development takes times having build / developed a number of high rise projects in downtown Toronto over the years more complex than Market Lands.
3) To suggest questions will be answered in due course is simply deflection.
4) CV’s web page and time line suggested answers to these questions would be provided on January 15th. That’s why we are asking...

My posts deal with a wide range of issues that are of interest to stakeholders as are yours. While I find myself in agreement with the majority of your urban ideas and comments, I have, and continue to disagree with the role CV plays in the City and the way it conducts itself on many occasions. My view is not unique to myself and quiet frankly, only receive push back from you...

If I received countless negative comments from others on this forum or the stakeholders, building owners, politicians, business owners, architectural or design firms we come in contact with, perhaps I would reflect more and reconsider my views, questions and observations.

I also very much appreciated and respect the animated opinion of others and wish for the success of our downtown and Exchange area.

I’m always available when in Winnipeg to have a franker discussion over Gin at Patent 5 or a beer at Nonsuch, two of our more recent urban accomplishments I’m especially proud to have facilitated and participate in to make Winnipeg’s Exchange area better.
I'm not sure what your issue is with CV, but its quite obviously personal. You go out of your way to paint them as evil overlords every chance you get. I push back because I have the background information on many of your claims.

here are your answers.

Quote:
I believe the federal government is pledging $4,000,000 for the 20,000ft2. This still will not cover the construction costs / tenant improvements and no mention on how the operating costs will be dealt with for these organizations. These are important matters than need to be discussed and addressed.

This announcement was for the wonderful creative hub that is being developed as part of this project. Of course, all of the details you raise are being discussed and addressed with the appropriate people. I'm not sure if you are suggesting that these items have been overlooked, but I can assure you they have not.

The “ Market” by CV’s own account does not yet have a true viable use/ program nor funding for construction or operation.

The process for the market building is well on track. Funding is part of the development's business plan

I really think the way the U of W development Corp quickly and silently produced some great architecture and housing is to be commended. Perhaps the North parcel should have been given to then to oversee?

UWCRC 2.0 is a wonderful organization. This property has a caveat that requires City involvement.

I believe January 15th was the date to return the unsuccessful proponents and an announcement shortly after. I’m really wondering who will be offered the site and at what price?

You will find out along with everyone else, once the process has been completed and an acceptable proponent has been found. As you know, real estate negotiations are confidential matters. It may be in a month, it may not be.

Without sounding like a broken record, these lands should have been set aside for RRC. The vibrancy everyone craves for the area will only happen from an expanded campus life.

There is no point in setting aside an empty property for someone who doesn't want it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 3:37 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Wonderful places. A friend of mine is a proprietor. This type of entrepreneurship is why I advocate to save old buildings. They provide a low rent opportunity not available in new construction. That being said, a city and neighbourhood move forward with new development as well, bringing in business, housing and other investment. Both types of development are needed, especially in places like downtown Winnipeg, where so many areas are blighted by surface parking and underperforming properties.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 2:25 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^My sarcasm meter may not be working, but I think that was sarcasm?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 7:23 PM

Daoust Lestage won but I think it is predictably boring & typically Winnipeg. I like options 1,2,5. They are especially creative and are more of a signature building. So instead we go with a rectangular shape. So it sets the precedence for what will follow. More rectangular nothing special edifices. yawn!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 7:37 PM

Be vocal with CV because this is a disgrace of a design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan